Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Making the best of the OEM Brembo's for track?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2018, 01:56 PM
yip
Evolving Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Making the best of the OEM Brembo's for track?

So getting more comfortable with the local tracks and seeing lap times come down consistently. With that said I'm also putting a beating on the brakes. We are on our second set of OEM rotors and second set of track pads. First set of track pads were EBC and this second set were Stoptech SR34's and they look like they are only gonna make it 1 more track day which makes a total of 4. The rotors are pretty thin already and I'm also only usually doing 3 sessions a day. We do bleed between using neo synthetic fluid between sessions and rotate tires.

We thought about upgrading to a BBK but then I would have to change wheel size and get all new tires. I don't think I'm ready for that since I want to take this slowly and make changes when I'm not seeing lap times decrease. So with that said are any of you guys racing competitively using the stock brembo's? If so what rotor and pad's are you using or do you recommend?

My car has pretty much become a dedicated track car and will rarely see the street so I don't need to make any compromises.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
plenty of people are running the stock brembo. get 2-piece rotors and matching set of dedicated track pads. i have no specific recommendations
Old Apr 8, 2018, 03:23 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I use Brembo blank rotors and Raybestos ST-43 pads. I have zero complaints, best pads I've used so far. I get quite a bit more life out of my parts than you seem to be, though. My car is 350whp and 3100lbs, if that has anything to do with it.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 04:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Centric premium (high carbon) rotors are the go to for a lot of the track guys around here. I have 2-pc solely because of auto-x but I don't think it would be worth killing expensive rings vs. basic rotors during the track days. I also run ST43s for auto-x and HPDE and damn do they bite during both!
Old Apr 8, 2018, 05:52 PM
yip
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
I use Brembo blank rotors and Raybestos ST-43 pads. I have zero complaints, best pads I've used so far. I get quite a bit more life out of my parts than you seem to be, though. My car is 350whp and 3100lbs, if that has anything to do with it.
I don't have any experience with the Raybestos pads but I'm wondering if the Stoptech pads are more aggressive due to how much wear the rotors are showing and the amount of dust they put off. I'm at exactly 300whp on a dynapak at full weight + a little more for all the stuff we added like roll bar, surge tank, harnesses etc....

The first day with fresh Stoptech pads and new Stoptech rotors (which are centric from my understanding) it felt amazing. After the first day pedal effort was much higher and stayed consistent so long as I bleed between sessions. I'd love for it to get back to the feeling of that first track day.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 05:55 PM
yip
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by terror rising
Centric premium (high carbon) rotors are the go to for a lot of the track guys around here. I have 2-pc solely because of auto-x but I don't think it would be worth killing expensive rings vs. basic rotors during the track days. I also run ST43s for auto-x and HPDE and damn do they bite during both!
I believe that the Stoptech rotors are just a rebranded Centric Premium rotors since the stoptech rotors came in Centric boxes.

I'm going to look into 2 piece rotors but information seems old around here. Assuming a lot of people have moved on from the EVO platform due to age. Kinda surprised I don't see more EVO's at the track considering the amount of WRX's and STI's I see at each event.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 06:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
I don't know what tracks you're running but something sounds amiss with a set of brakes only lasting 4 track days, especially at that power level. Try posting in the motorsports section where the hardcore guys live for more feedback. The traffic here is diminished but there are plenty of people still pushing the limits and making new setups to push those limits further that are still active here.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 07:16 PM
yip
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by terror rising
I don't know what tracks you're running but something sounds amiss with a set of brakes only lasting 4 track days, especially at that power level. Try posting in the motorsports section where the hardcore guys live for more feedback. The traffic here is diminished but there are plenty of people still pushing the limits and making new setups to push those limits further that are still active here.
1 day at SOW, 2 days at Buttonwillow and 1 day at Chuckwalla. Could just be rookie on the brakes too much :P
Old Apr 8, 2018, 07:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by yip
I don't have any experience with the Raybestos pads but I'm wondering if the Stoptech pads are more aggressive due to how much wear the rotors are showing and the amount of dust they put off. I'm at exactly 300whp on a dynapak at full weight + a little more for all the stuff we added like roll bar, surge tank, harnesses etc....

The first day with fresh Stoptech pads and new Stoptech rotors (which are centric from my understanding) it felt amazing. After the first day pedal effort was much higher and stayed consistent so long as I bleed between sessions. I'd love for it to get back to the feeling of that first track day.
If you are having to bleed your brakes between sessions (dude, that sucks!) then you need better fluid. I would recommend Prospeed, Endless or Castrol SRF. With good fluid you should be able to go a couple events with MAYBE a maintenance quick bleed between events, but if you are having to bleed between sessions you are using crap fluid or doing something else wrong.

ST43's will last more than four track days for sure. Same with the Stoptech/Centric Premium rotors. I think you are using your brakes too much!
Old Apr 9, 2018, 05:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Ive got dba 2 piece cause it had them on before so i just replaced the rings and DS2500 pads, high temp fluid is a must i use penrite 600

do you really need two piece, i dont think so, they look cute but some just use cheap blanks and chuck them after a couple of events
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:57 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by yip
1 day at SOW, 2 days at Buttonwillow and 1 day at Chuckwalla. Could just be rookie on the brakes too much :P
Something is definitely off. I do a TON of track days on my rotors. I'm not sure how long the ST43s will last (this is my first set), but I can guarantee it's more than four track days. That's cray cray.
I would check to be sure they are releasing all the way. I'm not sure about being on the brakes too much. I mean, you are on them enough to slow down, then not, unless you are left-foot braking, while on the gas. Did you use to race go karts?
But I'd definitely do a check for a mechanical issue, just to be safe and save you some money.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 04:22 PM
yip
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Something is definitely off. I do a TON of track days on my rotors. I'm not sure how long the ST43s will last (this is my first set), but I can guarantee it's more than four track days. That's cray cray.
I would check to be sure they are releasing all the way. I'm not sure about being on the brakes too much. I mean, you are on them enough to slow down, then not, unless you are left-foot braking, while on the gas. Did you use to race go karts?
But I'd definitely do a check for a mechanical issue, just to be safe and save you some money.
Silly me, I just checked the mileage and it looks like i put almost 1k street miles on these also. I've recently stopped driving it on the street so I should expect to get more track days out of the next set of pads. It's also very likely that I'm riding the brakes more than I should be since I still a beginner.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 08:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 573 Likes on 431 Posts
If you're boiling fluid that much you should consider dropping some stainless pistons into the calipers. Brake cooling ducts will help a tad too. The biggest is to be wary of when and how hard you are on the brakes.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do about 15 to 20 track days a year - I swear by Performance Friction two piece rotors, PF or Pagid pads, and Motul or Castrol SRF fluid. Ive tried just about all combinations over the past 12 years and this is the best performance/longest lasting setup for me.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 04:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
PF 2-piece rotors here, Castrol SRF fluid and Hawk DTC-60/70 pads with ducting and titanium shims. About 350 whp. I don’t bleed the fluid all season and after I change it. Have never boiled the SRF. Rotors last 20+ days. Pads last around 4-5 days before they are getting low. I don’t like to run them down to the backing plates. Not worth the worry to me of running out of brakes, plus the heat transfer to the fluid will be more as the pads get thin. I’m planning to try the ST43 pads since I’ve heard so many good things about their longevity.

Quick Reply: Making the best of the OEM Brembo's for track?