Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Backspacing Enkei RPF1 18 X 9.5 vs Stock EVO X and EVO X calipers

Old Apr 18, 2018, 07:10 AM
OX
Evolving Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Backspacing Enkei RPF1 18 X 9.5 vs Stock EVO X and EVO X calipers

So I've read everything thread I could find on the RPF1 18 X 9.5's on an evo 8/9.
2 questions.

1. Why do the EVO X wheels, with 35 backspacing bolt right up, but the RPF1 with 38 BS needs a
20 mm spacer? Spoke design that much different (yes, rim is an inch wider, but would spokes
to wheel face, be that much different).

2. Will EVO X calipers require an even larger spacer? One thread I found said maybe less of a spacer,
as calipers are farther outboard and many spokes turn inward, the closer you get to hub.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 07:38 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by OX
So I've read everything thread I could find on the RPF1 18 X 9.5's on an evo 8/9.
2 questions.

1. Why do the EVO X wheels, with 35 backspacing bolt right up, but the RPF1 with 38 BS needs a
20 mm spacer? Spoke design that much different (yes, rim is an inch wider, but would spokes
to wheel face, be that much different).

2. Will EVO X calipers require an even larger spacer? One thread I found said maybe less of a spacer,
as calipers are farther outboard and many spokes turn inward, the closer you get to hub.
1. The EvOX wheel is a +38. Yeah, I believe its all in the spoke & hub design. That area of the wheel where the caliper is located is called the X-Factor (see image)
2. Theres a thread in the Motor Sports section that discusses all that needs to be done to mount up the X caliper on the CT9A

Old Apr 18, 2018, 08:20 AM
OX
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
1. The EvOX wheel is a +38. Yeah, I believe its all in the spoke & hub design. That area of the wheel where the caliper is located is called the X-Factor (see image)
2. Theres a thread in the Motor Sports section that discusses all that needs to be done to mount up the X caliper on the CT9A

Thanks, didn't know there was name for it. Haven't ever seen that dimension in wheel specs, wish
more manufacturers would supply it (like at a range diameter of where calipers normally sit).

Then I guess the next question is. Are there any 18 X 9.5 wheels that would fit an 8/9 with EVO X calipers and
no spacer? There are plenty of threads on that size wheel or X calipers, but few with both (or they re all
about EVO X's).

I'd want to be able to keep and use the EVO X wheels I have now, when not using the new rims.
Would need open lug nuts that fit the stock type wheels, I'd assume (if I go went longer studs/spacers).
That animal even exist?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:49 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Make sure you check that thread in Motorsports about the caliper fit

Regarding the lugs, most guys have gone this route w/long studs

Amazon Amazon
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:24 PM
OX
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Make sure you check that thread in Motorsports about the caliper fit
The only thing I've read besides new rotors, was drilling out caliper mount holes
for larger bolts, corect?.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:40 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by OX
The only thing I've read besides new rotors, was drilling out caliper mount holes
for larger bolts, corect?.
I think you are correct about what is needed to mount them (a bit larger mounting tab on the X caliper). Have not really researched the topic, as I have not been that interested in the swap.

It would make sense that the X caliper, being just a bit larger than the EvO 8/9, would play a roll in wheel fit

Old Apr 26, 2018, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
To my understanding, it seems that the Exo X calipers have slightly more clearance than the 8/9 caliper.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 07:33 AM
OX
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GSX_TO_EVO
To my understanding, it seems that the Exo X calipers have slightly more clearance than the 8/9 caliper.
Ended up going PF01, 3 lbs heavier, but they fit all 4 corners (35 BS, no spacers), supposedly
with either caliper.