Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Rear bushings and Ball joints

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2018, 05:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rear bushings and Ball joints

Hey Friends! For those that have followed last year, thank you for your help. Quick recap I have had the car on jack stands (for nearly a year or more now as I have lost track of time) front and rear suspension disassembled for a new set of ohlins coilovers and TRE rear diff rebuild. I broke a lot of bolts and had to cut out the subframe to replace damaged pieces. Rust. I cannot believe Mits got away with producing such an inferior primed automobile for so many years. Disappointing. Makes me regret my full back DSM tattoo.

But NOW all broken bolts have been extracted and I am starting the rebuild process! YAY!!!!

I want to replace all the front/rear bushings and ball joints now while the car is in pieces. I got the whiteline front roll center kit upfront. The question is do I buy new OEM rear arms (all 4 on each side 8 in total) that have factory new ball joints and bushings or do I buy aftermarket and have them pressed in? I am more concerned about quality and longevity. Performance is cool but this was and will be put back into service as the DD.

To my knowledge nothing is "wrong" with the bushings/ball joints. I would need to replace some of the boots. However I am just thinking proactively. I would rather be driving her than have her down this long again.

Thoughts and opinion from those that have done this service are appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by N1MR0D; Apr 30, 2018 at 05:57 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

No thoughts on this?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 04:15 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by N1MR0D

The question is do I buy new OEM rear arms (all 4 on each side 8 in total) that have factory new ball joints and bushings or do I buy aftermarket and have them pressed in?
Certainly no need for new arms. I would consider the major bushes in the rear. Also, consider the rear diff bushes as well

Old Apr 30, 2018, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

What about the Whiteline rear bump center correction kit? Is this something I should consider as a DD car?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 06:30 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

What about the Whiteline rear bump center correction kit? Is this something I should consider as a DD car?
I run the WL bump kit, but I had that installed when I was tracking the EvO.
On the street you will never feel the diff. Its really a moderate upgrade but only felt during track level work
(unless youre just a monster street driver, pulling 1.5 Gs on the city streets

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Apr 30, 2018 at 07:59 PM.
Old May 1, 2018, 01:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
I did everything WL thats sold for a EVO X except the front sway bar because its a BIG pain, maybe later when i replace both subframes.

OMG what a ****ing huge difference from stock now.
Its like my EVO is part of my brain with instant reaction time of my thoughts.
Old May 1, 2018, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I have every bushing and upgrade Energy Suspension and White line makes - I enjoyed it so much, I did it to my daily driver...
Old May 2, 2018, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

I had energy suspension bushings on my Civic and they did nothing but squeak, How do yours fair?
Old May 2, 2018, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I had energy suspension bushings on my Civic and they did nothing but squeak, How do yours fair?
I have just over 100k on my black ES bushings. Never made a single noise.
Old May 3, 2018, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

Is there any reason to do the rear upper control arm bushings?
Old May 4, 2018, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

So I brought the loose arms (all 8) to a shop to have them look them over to see if it is something that can press out the old bushings/ball joints and press in new ones. They said they don't recommend doing it because the parts being aluminum are more fragile and can easily stress/crack when being pressed.

I know they make the aftermarket parts for a purpose. I know the manufacturer has to press in the new parts when they were being made. I just want some competent shop to handle it correctly. Even if I have to ship them off somewhere. Do you guys have any recommendations? Is this normal?
Old May 4, 2018, 08:01 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

So I brought the loose arms (all 8) to a shop to have them look them over to see if it is something that can press out the old bushings/ball joints and press in new ones. They said they don't recommend doing it because the parts being aluminum are more fragile and can easily stress/crack when being pressed.

I know they make the aftermarket parts for a purpose. I know the manufacturer has to press in the new parts when they were being made. I just want some competent shop to handle it correctly. Even if I have to ship them off somewhere. Do you guys have any recommendations? Is this normal?
Well, looks like some of these shops are aware of the OEM procedures. Looks like Mitsu doest note a procedure to replace failed bushes. They recommend replacing the arm. Im sure there are some good susp shops that can replace those bushes w/out damaging the alum arms
Old May 4, 2018, 09:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 573 Likes on 431 Posts

There's plenty of shops not too far from you that could do it. I used to work at P&L Motorsports out in Lisle and they could do it no problem. There's also plenty of evo shops in the area, AMS and Boostin aren't far.
Old May 4, 2018, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ayoustin
There's plenty of shops not too far from you that could do it. I used to work at P&L Motorsports out in Lisle and they could do it no problem. There's also plenty of evo shops in the area, AMS and Boostin aren't far.
I’ve never heard of P&L. I’ll look them up. The last time I was at/talking to AMS they said they don’t really nor are interested in working on EVO’s anymore. They are no longer their bread and butter. And boostin will get no more of my dollars or positive comments. I was completely dissatisfied with there service and experience. They are one of the reasons why my car is being worked on by me instead of at their shop.

Any other thoughts or comments? Should I also replace the upper control arm bushings as well?

Last edited by N1MR0D; May 4, 2018 at 11:49 AM.
Old May 4, 2018, 12:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 573 Likes on 431 Posts
P&L is good people, they know what they're doing. What are you using the car for? If it's just a street car I'd probably leave the upper bushings alone unless they look pretty rough.

Quick Reply: Rear bushings and Ball joints