Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Clunk Noise?!? Axle, cv joint, struts, wheel bearing, steering wheel??

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2018, 06:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb Clunk Noise?!? Axle, cv joint, struts, wheel bearing, steering wheel??

Wassup evolution.net. I have a problem im trying to diagnose before purchasing parts to fix. Whenever I turn right, a sharp right I get a clunky noise. And it makes a very wide right turn. I just bought this car like a couple days ago. Noticed the passenger front coilovers had accumulated grease or something all over the coilover and inside the fender well area. And my steering wheel is straight until I make that right turn, then my steering wheel suddenly goes off alignment. But if I turn left again, the steering wheels goes back to being aligned. Until I turn right then it gets off the alignment again. Car drives fine in a straight line. Only when I make the right turn is when I get the clunky type of noise(sounds like blown struts) and then goes off of alignment. If anyone can give me a idea on what it can be that would be great! Thank you in advance!
Old May 15, 2018, 07:01 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
For sure get the front wheels pulled & on jack stands. Have someone in the car turn the wheel, lock to lock while you inspect the wheel end

If the EvO is on C/O'rs, maybe youre getting coil bind & pop! (possible blown C/O seals) Check the CV joints as well (cracks in the boots). Check the wheel bearing play before pulling the wheels! Check all C/O mounting points to ensure they are torqued!

Take pics & post them up

And BTW, Welcome Aboard

Last edited by MinusPrevious; May 15, 2018 at 07:08 AM.
Old May 15, 2018, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
For sure get the front wheels pulled & on jack stands. Have someone in the car turn the wheel, lock to lock while you inspect the wheel end

If the EvO is on C/O'rs, maybe youre getting coil bind & pop! (possible blown C/O seals) Check the CV joints as well (cracks in the boots). Check the wheel bearing play before pulling the wheels!

Take pics & post them up

Definitely will do this tomorrow if it doesn’t rain here today. And supposedly the used dealership i bought the car from said the clutch has been replaced too.
Old May 18, 2018, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by RRevoixMR
Noticed the passenger front coilovers had accumulated grease or something all over the coilover and inside the fender well area.
Blown axle boot

And my steering wheel is straight until I make that right turn, then my steering wheel suddenly goes off alignment. But if I turn left again, the steering wheels goes back to being aligned. Until I turn right then it gets off the alignment again.
I suspect either a failed tie rod or ball joint. This could be dangerous! Repair ASAP.
Old May 21, 2018, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by barneyb
Blown axle boot

I suspect either a failed tie rod or ball joint. This could be dangerous! Repair ASAP.
Got the axle replaced. Some problems went away but the steering wheel alignment is still the same. I will go get an alignment first and see if that solves the problem.
Old May 21, 2018, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Got the axle replaced. Some problems went away but the steering wheel alignment is still the same. I will go get an alignment first and see if that solves the problem.
Tell your alignment guy to check for loose parts.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same problem, I replace the axle and the clunk noise went away. however the steering wheel still shakes going highway speeds. does yours do the same? I did a wheel alignment and balance but it didn't help. I suspect that it might be my coils are shot.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Htruong10
I had the same problem, I replace the axle and the clunk noise went away. however the steering wheel still shakes going highway speeds. does yours do the same? I did a wheel alignment and balance but it didn't help. I suspect that it might be my coils are shot.

My steering wheel doesn't shake at all. The steering wheel itself just gets off of its alignment when turning right.

But update on this. I went and got an alignment. Its better but the steering wheel still get off of alignment when making a right turn. Clunk noise. I am going to say its the coilovers. Going to take them off hopefully this weekend and look at them.