Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Tapping/Clicking near front passenger wheel, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2018, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Tapping/Clicking near front passenger wheel, HELP!

Just bought this evo 8 a couple weeks ago, and cant figure out what this damn noise is. It only happens on take off, either in first or reverse. It's a light ticking/tapping that sounds like it's coming from the front passenger wheel. If I slip the clutch just right it wont do it, and it never does it turning or anything else. Checked heatshields, not it. Car has stock downpipe that is tight against the tiebar but doesn't seem like it would budge much.

Pretty sure the balance shaft is out of phase, taking care of that in a couple days. Could an off BS cause this? Thanks for the help guys
Old May 30, 2018, 06:48 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Sounds like youve had the wheels off to check the front end? All suspension bolts tight? Front sway bar connection to the end links?

Was the EvO just serviced where the BS belts were replaced? For sure have that checked & if thats it, good catch!

Keep us posted on what you find

Last edited by MinusPrevious; May 30, 2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old May 30, 2018, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Wicked_X
Car has stock downpipe that is tight against the tiebar but doesn't seem like it would budge much.
The engine moves on its mounts with torque. If the exhaust can hit anything there's your noise.
Old May 30, 2018, 07:41 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by barneyb
The engine moves on its mounts with torque. If the exhaust can hit anything there's your noise.
I overlooked that comment by the OP.

Yeah, time to space those tie bars down. My DP touches those bars as well, but mine are spaced down
Old May 30, 2018, 10:41 PM
Evolving Member

Another reason I didn't think it's caused by the downpipe is the tone of the clicking. But it definitely could be it. How did you guys space the tiebar? Just bend it? Lol
Old May 31, 2018, 06:00 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Wicked_X
Another reason I didn't think it's caused by the downpipe is the tone of the clicking. But it definitely could be it. How did you guys space the tiebar? Just bend it? Lol
You can use nuts or washers depending on how far you need to space it down. Not sure how effective the bars are but I left them in place
Old May 31, 2018, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Tie bars and strut bars, how effective are they? You can take them all off and drive the car until the wheels fall off. What Evo owners like is the handling built into the car. Part of what we sense as handling is steering feel. The less flex there is in the front end and tires, the more responsive the steering.

So, you might ask, why didn't they reinforce the front end even more? Well, there comes a place where steering moves from accurate to wanting to dart with every small steering wheel movement. Getting it right is chassis tuning and the end goal depends on the intended use of the vehicle, expected driver skill and price point. A minivan full of kids and one distracted mother shouldn't have the responsive steering of an Evo.

Last edited by barneyb; May 31, 2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old May 31, 2018, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
Tie bars and strut bars, how effective are they? You can take them all off and drive the car until the wheels fall off. What Evo owners like is the handling build into the car. Part of what we sense as handling is steering feel. The less flex there is in the front end and tires, the more responsive the steering.

So, you might ask, why didn't they reinforce the front end even more? Well, there comes a place where steering moves from accurate to wanting to dart with every small steering wheel movement. Getting it right is chassis tuning and the end goal depends on the intended use of the vehicle, expected driver skill and price point. A minivan full of kids and one distracted mother shouldn't have the responsive steering of an Evo.
I must say, Evos have some very responsive steering! Gotta be careful with it! In comparison to my WRX its night and day. With that thing you gotta throw the wheel around to turn.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

Well, I took off the tie bar for now and I also replaced a loose outer tie rod end. Still making the same tapping ticking noise on takeoff. The local Evo Doc said it could be the stock downpipes heatshield rattling. Anyone else have ideas? Wont know if it's the DP until I replace it (should be soon)
Old Jun 2, 2018, 04:20 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
try tightening / inspecting the front motor mount. Also might be worth checking the wheel bearings.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

You should give the suspension a good examination to make sure it is safe to drive. However, my car has made some suspension racket since new and it will be 15 years old next month. Back when the car was new, when I first heard the noise, I got on this site and there was already a front suspension noise thread. I do know that if I raise the car's front and give the spring a pull it goes 'bong'. Dig around here and find huge suspension noise threads. Some people claim to find the cause, and the cause varies, and some don't.

My car will make noise on Monday and be quiet on Tuesday. I ignore it. However, anytime the car is on jack stands I check all four corners for play. The other day I too replaced a tie rod end.

Last edited by barneyb; Jun 2, 2018 at 10:53 PM. Reason: typo