Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Question about replacing damaged new tire; replace all 4 or just the one

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Question about replacing damaged new tire; replace all 4 or just the one

I understand that when you need to replace a tire on our cars, you need to replace all 4. Well, I just got 4 new tires on within the past 5 months, and have only driven *maybe* 500 miles, if that, on them. One was recently damaged with a knife and needs to be replaced. My question is this: Do ALL 4 really need to be replace with such low miles? Or will one suffice? I'm not trying to destroy my drivetrain here, but if I can avoid spending another 600+ on tires I'd rather do that and just replace one or the rear two.
Any suggestions here would be really appreciated.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:50 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Im sure that would be OK. I would measure the circumference of the newly mounted tire vs the 500 tire & see how close they are

Cant imagine that 500 miles would affect the circumference that much (tire shaving may have to be done if they are not close)

(let me see if i can find the allowable variance allowed between circumferences)

Heres a quote from Tire RackReplacing Pairs of Tires or Individual Tires

There are several suggestions that have been offered to drivers who are replacing pairs or individual tires on their four-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicles. Some vehicle manufacturers recommend that all tires maintain the same rolling radius and circumference, while others suggest that all tire circumferences remain within 1/4- to 1/2-inch of each other. Other vehicle manufacturers recommend that all four tires remain within 2/32-, 3/32- or 4/32-inch of each other, or within 30% of each other in relative remaining tread depth.

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Jun 28, 2018 at 10:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Welcome2GoodBur (Jun 28, 2018)
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Im sure that would be OK. I would measure the circumference of the newly mounted tire vs the 500 tire & see how close they are

Cant imagine that 500 miles would affect the circumference that much (tire shaving may have to be done if they are not close)

(let me see if i can find the allowable variance allowed between circumferences)

Heres a quote from Tire RackReplacing Pairs of Tires or Individual Tires

There are several suggestions that have been offered to drivers who are replacing pairs or individual tires on their four-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicles. Some vehicle manufacturers recommend that all tires maintain the same rolling radius and circumference, while others suggest that all tire circumferences remain within 1/4- to 1/2-inch of each other. Other vehicle manufacturers recommend that all four tires remain within 2/32-, 3/32- or 4/32-inch of each other, or within 30% of each other in relative remaining tread depth.

I was hoping you'd chime in Minus, you seem to be the GURU here for this stuff. I'll measure it all when I get it back.
Second question then, due to an order mixup, we were sent a ExtremeContact DWs 6 rather than the EextremeContact Sport that are already on there. These are obviously two very different tread patterns, but for a temporary fix, since both models are exact same height, width, size etc, will this be safe to run until I get the sport re-ordered, or best to not?
The following users liked this post:
MinusPrevious (Jun 28, 2018)
Old Jun 28, 2018, 01:03 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Welcome2GoodBur
I was hoping you'd chime in Minus, you seem to be the GURU here for this stuff. I'll measure it all when I get it back.
Second question then, due to an order mixup, we were sent a ExtremeContact DWs 6 rather than the EextremeContact Sport that are already on there. These are obviously two very different tread patterns, but for a temporary fix, since both models are exact same height, width, size etc, will this be safe to run until I get the sport re-ordered, or best to not?
As long as the circumference is within the limits, Im sure its OK, temporarily. But Yeah, Want all 4's to have the same tire spec size & tread pattern

Joe
Old Jun 28, 2018, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
I'd send it back and only run matching tires.

500 miles, I wouldn't worry about circumference being different. Hardly any wear on that few miles when you're gonna get 30k out of them probably
Old Jun 28, 2018, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah it's cool I just order another matching tire. Problem solved, better safe than sorry. Thanks for the all replies
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Tire Rack can pre-shave tires to desired tread depth so that your new tire matches the rest. That's what I did for mine several years ago and I had absolutely no issues. Get a tread-depth meter and check what your old tires are at, and just have them shave the new one to match.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
With only 500 miles they'll be fine. As long as you get an identical tire (brand, model, and size), the allowablw tread depth difference is 4/32" IIRC.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
i agree...
will be fine.