Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

FA coilover dampening adjustments

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2018, 05:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FA coilover dampening adjustments

hi guys,
just install FA 510 coilover 12k/10k. I made alingn camber -3.5fr/-1.8r, 0 toe and corner balance.

How many click how do you setup on the damper to give an idea?
I try first 18 on 24 both to all wheel. It was to stiff, if I hit a crack in a curve, car start jumping and pushing me outside of the curve.
last week,I tried 10 click front and 12 click rear, I saw that’s its popular to stiffer the rear to get less oversteer.
Results, no more jumping but I lost my grip on front tire in curve entry, i feel that I don’t have steering when I turn in. It’s ok after in corner exit, it grip back and it’s good. My brother was following me and said he see me couple of time more in tight corner with the inside front wheel lift in the air...

what would you suggest?
Is the front wheel lifting because it’s too stiff? Or the fact that I put the rear stiffer then the front can cause that?

thanks
Old Jul 22, 2018, 05:55 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Yeah, clicker settings are difficult to master / understand. Keep in mind that single adj C/O'rs really dont have much of a compression adjustment

When youre adjusting the clickers, youre really, most affecting rebound. Read these notes by the YT guys at "Speed Academy". Im a subscriber as they have an EvO project car. Read this: http://speed.academy/which-way-do-i-...ers-hard-soft/

Just want to make sure youre still running the stock front sway bar?
Old Jul 22, 2018, 06:37 AM

Oups, mistake for spring rate 10k/12k. Stock front sway bar and rear is whiteline 24mm
Old Jul 22, 2018, 07:46 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by PL_MR
Oups, mistake for spring rate 10k/12k. Stock front sway bar and rear is whiteline 24mm
Yeah, figured that was backwards as I run the same spec 510 w/Swift 10K/12K
Old Jul 22, 2018, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
Stiffer in the rear means more oversteer.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 04:30 PM

And my case, I'm missing sterring in corner entry, I'm more understeer, I should get the rear more stiffer even If i'M already adjuste with more stiff rebound at the rear?

MinusPrevious, what does you click setup look likes?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 04:52 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

And my case, I'm missing sterring in corner entry, I'm more understeer, I should get the rear more stiffer even If i'M already adjuste with more stiff rebound at the rear?

Been off the track for a few years, but my notes show that my suspension tuner had me set at: 15 clicks front / 18 clicks rear (setting from full soft) (9 clicks from full hard front & 6 clicks from full hard rear)

I have since rotated the clickers out,to reduce the rebound, since im on the street only
Old Jul 24, 2018, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

I'm running FA510s as well. 10k front and 11k rear. At the moment how I'm setup I get more understeer at low speed corners but mid and high speed stuff i like how it handles.(talking about autocross speeds not track).

Explain the understeer in corner entry. Is it low speed, mid, high speed corners? Are you going too fast into the corner? What setting do you have your rear bar at? How much lowered are you compared to stock? Are you running positive or negative rake?

There is a lot we need to know about to get an understanding of what's going on. Can be driver related, car setup related and or probably both.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 05:47 PM

Rear sway bar is set to full stiff, low speed entry is ok, it’s more mid and high speed, I turn in but car is late to react, I feel like there’s not enough weight on front wheel and it’s start turning late. With stock suspension before, I turn, it turn. And from what I can see, the inside tire lift easily so I lose traction
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

If running springrates 10k and rear 12 you shouldn't get front tire inside lift unless you have an aftermarket front seat bar. I would say increase the damper setting for the fronts to get quicker steering up front. Are you sure your front inside tire is lifting?