Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

What are the best ways to make your evo 9 handle amazing

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2018, 01:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Start with tires. Then adjust the tire pressures front and back depending how you want the car to handle. Then custom alignment. Then key bushings. Once you’re set with those, thanks start looking for coilovers with custom spring rate tailored to your driving style.

Before modding the car, learn how to drive it first. Go to local Autocross events and track days so you can tune the car the way you want it to handle
Old Jul 30, 2018, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tune the driver before you tune the car!
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:54 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
LOL sometimes it's hard to get answers to certain questions.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:59 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Hi all, just to resurrect this thread. What are the thoughts on the Cusco Power Brace - is it a must do mod on the CT9A chassis for AutoX and Road course duty ?
I want to order an ETS cooler as part of their current November promo and need to decide whether to order the Power brace compatible one or the normal Evo 9 Wide Tank version.

Any input will be appreciated ! Thanks
Old Nov 21, 2018, 04:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by extreme-eg
Hi all, just to resurrect this thread. What are the thoughts on the Cusco Power Brace - is it a must do mod on the CT9A chassis for AutoX and Road course duty ?
I want to order an ETS cooler as part of their current November promo and need to decide whether to order the Power brace compatible one or the normal Evo 9 Wide Tank version.

I guess it depends what your current mods are, but if you haven't done much to suspension then the Cusco Power Brace would be way down the list of things to do.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
frankly i don't think it will do anything
Old Nov 21, 2018, 06:21 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts

Yeah, its strictly a looks mod & will add no noticeable chassis performance changes
The following users liked this post:
CDrinkH2O (Nov 29, 2018)
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:03 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Yeah, its strictly a looks mod & will add no noticeable chassis performance changes
+1 it doesn't do anything. The only reason I could see using one is if you have deleted the front crash beam and want something up there for a bit of protection.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
A lot of great info provided already op. Many will share parts to add which will help you. I think others have mentioned what class you want to compete in for autox is a starting point. If you can hold back and consider the new DS class for 2019, I think that would be awesome way to go. If mods are in your future and you want to burn money the sky is the limit. I know with my Evo after driving it with just stock suspension and Hotchkis lowering springs with rear diff stack and good tires, I was fast with the car as is. With help from the local autocross friends and this forum, I was able to add more parts to the car faster. It came at a cost as you can imagine, it took a lot of time to dial in the car and adjust to the new mods. My car handles like a go-kart or many have said. Best advice is take your time but schools and seat time will always be better money spent in my opinion.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts

100% cosmetic piece. Its not positioned in any real direct load path and any insignificant potential is wasted with the weight gain. There is no setup baring a broken front cross member where you would bolt this on and find time.

I typically like most of what Cusco does, but this is one of the things that annoys me as just BS marketing.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 12:44 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks all for the Power Brace replies - just going to go ahead and order the normal 3.5" Wide Tank cooler then. I'm not building my car for Instagram...
The following 2 users liked this post by extreme-eg:
Dallas J (Nov 22, 2018), kyoo (Nov 22, 2018)
Old Nov 22, 2018, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Other than decent tires with a good alignment, the most significant change in handling for the least amount of money is an ACD retune.