Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Suspension issue

Old Jul 18, 2018, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Suspension issue

I need help and I’m out of ideas

This is my second front driver tire that is shredded. This tire only seen Autocross 2 times. Before you say it’s the alignment, I checked the alignment and it is good.

Backstory:
Early 2017, I started hearing a knocking sound in front of the car. I Autocross the car many times but it didn’t bother the handling or felt anything weird driving the car. But thesound is there. Minor imperfections of the road will make a sound but in a smooth freeway, I don’t hear it. I replaced the camber plates, inner and outer tire rods, ball joints, wheel bearing, both axles, front control arm bushing and the steering rack bushing. The only thingI have not replaced are the rear front control arm bushing and the steering rack itself. I checked the rear front control arm bushing and it’s still solid, and I don’t feel anything sluggish or any issue with my steering rack.

What do you all think is the problem? This is my second tire that did this.

Last edited by J!n K@z@mA; Jul 18, 2018 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Jul 18, 2018, 04:14 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Certainy looks like toe wear. Can you share the alignment results?

Are you rotating your tires? Could this wear be starting in the rear?

Old Jul 18, 2018, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

I rotate the tire every other oil change
Old Jul 18, 2018, 04:46 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Maybe this is just normal camber wear? After all, your front camber is on the aggressive side

How many miles on the tires?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 08:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,321 Posts
Looks like just a bit of camber wear to me.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

I disagree problem I have is that this started happening when that knocking sound started.

The passenger side side front tire is still good. Lots or tread.im looking more of suspension issue that I can’t figure out.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 05:56 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Your photo shows a tire very close to the wear bars. No doubt they have been run & are close to their end

Again, How many miles on the tires?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
Is it only the one front tire doing it or both? How many miles do you currently have on that tire? Any play in the wheel when its off the ground like shaking it from the top and bottom and from the sides?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
What year is your evo? Or better question would be what do you have for a front diff? Just because your car is clunking doesn't mean its related.

You really aren't running that much camber so personally I dont think that wear is from camber. And your alignment looks fine so I also dont think its toe related. One thought was if youre racing a lot youre spinning the inside front tire due to an open front diff or simply a worn out one.

Joe(MinusPrevious) asked a question in regards to how many miles are on the tires and I too would love to know the answer to that question.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Here’s the passenger side tire. Lots of tread stil. I’m about 20k on the tires and the right side still have a lot of tread. I have and 2006 9 MR
Old Jul 19, 2018, 07:26 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by J!n K@z@mA

Here’s the passenger side tire. Lots of tread stil. I’m about 20k on the tires and the right side still have a lot of tread. I have and 2006 9 MR
At 20K miles, I say you got your monies worth, especially grinding them on the AutoX track

Simply camber wear IMO

Old Jul 19, 2018, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

It’s actually 10k. I looks at my records when I bought it my odometer that time.

Still, what do you guys think is the suspension issue. It’s only the front driver side that’s doing this...and the knocking sound
Old Jul 20, 2018, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
I run -3.5 camber on the fronts and I will get almost even wear from the inside to outside due to the inside wearing from daily driving and the outside wearing from autocross. I autocross at least once a month and doing so gives me even wear across. Having 10k miles on Re-71's and only two autocross events with the camber, I think you def got your money's worth since those wear fast. How many miles are on your passenger tire? For your next set of tires I would recommend getting some R-S4's, they still grip almost as well but it'll wear like iron if you want to keep running the 200tw.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
20k out of those tires isnt bad at all epsecially given that you've raced on them too. However, I do agree with you that something isnt quite right here.

Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts
I run -3.5 camber on the fronts and I will get almost even wear from the inside to outside due to the inside wearing from daily driving and the outside wearing from autocross. I autocross at least once a month and doing so gives me even wear across. Having 10k miles on Re-71's and only two autocross events with the camber, I think you def got your money's worth since those wear fast. How many miles are on your passenger tire? For your next set of tires I would recommend getting some R-S4's, they still grip almost as well but it'll wear like iron if you want to keep running the 200tw.
My experiences are right in line with this comment. I dd'd my evo for years running -3.5 up front and just like what the person above mentioned what I found was that Id get perfectly even wear assuming I autox'd the car enough. A couple sets had perfectly even wear down to the point where they corded but essentially the whole tire was a slick. However, in 2016 I only raced like 4 events and sure enough my inside tires corded before I was down to the wear bars. But with all of this being said I was running -3.5 degrees. -2 degree is very mild so Im not that confident it can be attributed to camber wear.

I guess its possible your front diff is getting weak and youre getting excessive inside front wheelspin but and then again Im not sure Id expect so much inner wear. Other than that the only thing I can think of is an issue with a bushing but you mentioned you replaced inner & outer tie rods ball joints wheel bearings and some bushings. Personally, Id get the car back up in the air and inspect that area. If youre hearing a clunk something has play and you should be able to replicate that sound.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,321 Posts
He just posted on instagram, alignment issue.. I'm guessing previous shop fudged the numbers by tapping the alignment heads..