Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

anyone try the STM brake air guide kit?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2018, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anyone try the STM brake air guide kit?

Does these bolt on brake air guides from STM help at all? I do run some track days, but not enough or hard enough to modify my stock evo for brake ducts.

https://stmtuned.com/collections/mit...-oem-evo-7-8-9
Old Sep 7, 2018, 08:54 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
They are just OEM guides. The bottoms break off within a short time. Not worth it, IMO.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I've had them for a few years, haven't had any issue with them breaking off or anything like that. I do take them off for the winter though. I do think they're worth it for someone in my or your situation, where you want a bit of extra cooling for the brakes but aren't ready to go all the way with ducting.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptord
I've had them for a few years, haven't had any issue with them breaking off or anything like that. I do take them off for the winter though. I do think they're worth it for someone in my or your situation, where you want a bit of extra cooling for the brakes but aren't ready to go all the way with ducting.
+1. There was basic data on these years ago for part timers like myself that convinced me to buy them. They are low enough to get into the airstream under the car so you do have to be careful with them around potholes, road debris etc. Think I've lost one that way ever in 10+ years of having them.

Interestingly enough they come OEM with the Evo X and the aero package due to the front lip blocking the regular air flow to the front brakes.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 02:46 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by codgi
+1. There was basic data on these years ago for part timers like myself that convinced me to buy them. They are low enough to get into the airstream under the car so you do have to be careful with them around potholes, road debris etc. Think I've lost one that way ever in 10+ years of having them.

Interestingly enough they come OEM with the Evo X and the aero package due to the front lip blocking the regular air flow to the front brakes.
They come on the CT9A chassis also. My under tray directs air from under the front of the lip back to those guides. They definitely couldn't hurt, if he also has the under tray. I've had two sets have the bottom sections break off. I decided to stop spending $100+ on them. My car is far from low. Sounds like it can go either way, so it's up to OP whether or not he wants to spend the money.
FWIW, I can't imagine the air under the car, without the under tray, is clean enough for the guides to be useful, but I've honestly never seen data either way. I've seen people spend way more money on far less-functional mods. I say do it. If they break on you also, then at least you can say you tried.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
They come on the CT9A chassis also. My under tray directs air from under the front of the lip back to those guides. They definitely couldn't hurt, if he also has the under tray. I've had two sets have the bottom sections break off. I decided to stop spending $100+ on them. My car is far from low. Sounds like it can go either way, so it's up to OP whether or not he wants to spend the money.
FWIW, I can't imagine the air under the car, without the under tray, is clean enough for the guides to be useful, but I've honestly never seen data either way. I've seen people spend way more money on far less-functional mods. I say do it. If they break on you also, then at least you can say you tried.
Yeah I know they were an option on the CT9A chassis as noted above I have had them on the my VIII for years . From memory Mitsubishi recommended you cutting the front tray on the VIII in two places to get the air flow to go to those ducts directly. I added them to my VIII afterwards so may be different if they were added as an option at the dealership as some folks did since I assume they would have done that work before delivery.

Edit remembered that correctly. See "installation procedures A": http://www.mitsupartsworld.com/Insta...LUTION_PG1.pdf

My point for the X was the difference was that the OEM aero package recommends you add the air guides as well due to that air dam affecting air flow in ways the non aero front lip doesn't. I thought that was interesting when I got the X and was reading through all the paperwork that came with it.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
I do have a stock VIII model with stock undertray still there. Not sure about the comment that the stock undertray needs cut in tow places for them to work. Where would it need to be cut?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 08:46 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by tmaddox
I do have a stock VIII model with stock undertray still there. Not sure about the comment that the stock undertray needs cut in tow places for them to work. Where would it need to be cut?
I've never heard that. It should be obvious, once you get under there ,though.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 12:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by codgi
Edit remembered that correctly. See "installation procedures A": http://www.mitsupartsworld.com/Insta...LUTION_PG1.pdf
In the procedure posted by codgi you see where to cut
Old Oct 4, 2018, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

I wish someone would make the stock brake cooling air guides in a hard rubber like tire rubber so they would flex instead of break if they rub a speed bump, but still resist 90 mph wind.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 160 Likes on 117 Posts
So the 9's air dam doesn't need to be cut only the 8?
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
I am going to say the 9 should be fine. Mine doesnt look like it has been cut at least.

The following users liked this post:
SoSoEVO (Nov 21, 2018)
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 160 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks
I am going to say the 9 should be fine. Mine doesnt look like it has been cut at least.

Sean...my guy!!!!!!! Thanks man I appreciate it.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
No problem! If we meet up this weekend you can get a good look at it.
The following users liked this post:
SoSoEVO (Nov 21, 2018)