Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

looking to buy a tool for bleeding brakes & flushing brake fluid (not just for evos)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2018, 09:01 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Question looking to buy a tool for bleeding brakes & flushing brake fluid (not just for evos)

I'm looking for the best tool to flush my brake fluid & bleed my brakes on all my cars (not just the evo). Looking for advice from others. I want to use this on general cars/trucks. I work by myself so I want something that ill make the job clean, fast and easy.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:03 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Motive power bleeder, some clear vinyl tubing, and a plastic water bottle with a hole drilled through the lid.
easy peasy, one-man job.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 05:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I built my own. Bought a 1 way valve. Get some clear tubing and cut a hole in an empty bottle. I also zip tied the magnet from an old trouble light to the bottle so it holds it. Spent about $8 in total and it's small enough that I keep it in my kit that I take to the track.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
i bought a vacuum bleeder a few years ago. its been pretty lackluster. not sure what a better solution would be, but i probably wouldnt buy another.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I was watching a professional youtube mechanic flush and bleed brakes. He used a $600 machine that has a rubber diaphragm in a tank. The machine was about the size of a propane bottle. The upper chamber is filled with brake fluid (a gallon or more of brake fluid) and the bottom with compressed air. He used a gallon on the vehicle so one sees why no air in the system.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 04:50 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by barneyb
I was watching a professional youtube mechanic flush and bleed brakes. He used a $600 machine that has a rubber diaphragm in a tank. The machine was about the size of a propane bottle. The upper chamber is filled with brake fluid (a gallon or more of brake fluid) and the bottom with compressed air. He used a gallon on the vehicle so one sees why no air in the system.
Same as the Motive Power Bleeder I listed. Fill with fluid, pump to pressurize the tank. Just have a seat at the caliper and bleed until no more air. Easy Peasy.

Old Sep 22, 2018, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Same as the Motive Power Bleeder I listed. Fill with fluid, pump to pressurize the tank. Just have a seat at the caliper and bleed until no more air. Easy Peasy.

I actually own a motive but can't say how it works on the Evo, I've never used it on the car. Instead my wife gets brake pumping duty. I should go take a look at the device and see if I have the right adapter.

What I found extravagant about youtube brake flush was using a gallon of fluid. I've never used a quart.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 03:47 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
......my wife gets brake pumping duty......
I'm single and I only have 3 kids so that won't work for me. Unfortunately, none of my kids will pump the brakes for me either- they just sit there, parked in the garage....
Old Sep 22, 2018, 04:25 PM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
I just got done working out some really stubborn bubbles. Turns out my wife isn't such a great bleeding partner, and collectively we messed up and allowed the master to run dry and suck air. So I bought the motive and it got a lot of air out, but not all of it. In the end I ended up getting Russel speed bleeders and just manually pumping it out. I can easily see a gallon considering i went through about 2 over a few weeks trying to get all the bubbles out.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 04:43 PM
kaj

I actually own a motive but can't say how it works on the Evo, I've never used it on the car. Instead my wife gets brake pumping duty. I should go take a look at the device and see if I have the right adapter.

What I found extravagant about youtube brake flush was using a gallon of fluid. I've never used a quart.
I *think* it's the Ford adapter.. but don't hold me to that. I use a lot of fluid when swapping fluid and more than I thought I would while bleeding I tend to overdo it, though
Old Sep 22, 2018, 07:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Motive bleeder, saving relationships all over the world.

I've been bleeding brakes between track events forever and Motive is 100% the best.

The adapter for the Evo is 0107 if purchasing the full package or 1107 if you are just purchasing the adapter for a Motive unit you already have.

FYI, this comes up every six months here, search.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 07:43 PM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
really nice thing about the motive too is there is almost no chance of the master running dry.

Last edited by Biggiesacks; Sep 23, 2018 at 01:06 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 09:08 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
really nice thing about the motive too is there is no chance of the master running dry.
And no compressor needed ,like with the vacuum setups.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 09:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
really nice thing about the motive too is there is no chance of the master running dry.
That's not correct, you could easily accidentally pump air through the whole system if you let the motive bottle run dry.
The following users liked this post:
Biggiesacks (Sep 23, 2018)
Old Sep 23, 2018, 09:49 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by razorlab
That's not correct, you could easily accidentally pump air through the whole system if you let the motive bottle run dry.
Well, a million things could go wrong with any job if you don't do them right.