Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Coil overs

Old Feb 25, 2019, 08:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankwalker
Isn't the tuned ACD is supppse to induce more oversteer?

I think I'm gonna try 8/10 with the bar set to full soft like Dallas mentioned and see how it goes!
The tendency for oversteer will depend somewhat on the tires. If you have really sticky tires, 8/10 with 26 mm RSB on full soft will probably be ok. If tires don't have much grip, be ready for oversteer.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 01:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrfred
The tendency for oversteer will depend somewhat on the tires. If you have really sticky tires, 8/10 with 26 mm RSB on full soft will probably be ok. If tires don't have much grip, be ready for oversteer.
so would you reccomend installing 10/8 instead? I'm currently and plan to continue, at least for a while to run a 200TW tire, probably stick with Advan AD08Rs or A052s. Currently running 265/35R A052s...
Old Feb 26, 2019, 02:25 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
so would you reccomend installing 10/8 instead? I'm currently and plan to continue, at least for a while to run a 200TW tire, probably stick with Advan AD08Rs or A052s. Currently running 265/35R A052s...
FWIW: I ran 235 R-S4s at Laguna Seca and the car still felt stable. The rear never stepped out on me. I wonder if 1 mm larger, on a one-step softer would be that much different.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 03:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kaj
FWIW: I ran 235 R-S4s at Laguna Seca and the car still felt stable. The rear never stepped out on me. I wonder if 1 mm larger, on a one-step softer would be that much different.
I wouldn't think it would be that much difference! If i do swap the springs, is there any thing else I would have to change on the coilovers? I assume the reccomended settings from Ohlins would no longer apply?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 04:20 PM
kaj

I wouldn't think it would be that much difference! If i do swap the springs, is there any thing else I would have to change on the coilovers? I assume the reccomended settings from Ohlins would no longer apply?
Nothing to change and yes, you would need to find your own settings.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 02:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Ohlins is the better-riding shock. If you daily the car, it's a better choice.
When it comes to performance, you could flip a coin ,really.
If I had to pick, I am running Ohlins all day errrry day lol
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ok so...after 10 pages of complete head spinning info here, it seems the ohlins are the way to go. I wanted to chime in because I’m right on the brink of ordering a set of coilovers (was thinking FA initially - now the ohlins fanboys got me all greased up). Still shopping around to find the best price and figure out if I can get the spring swapped pre shipment - not a deal breaker.

Here’s my plan - I’m going to run nt03 18x10.5 with Federal RSRs. Call me silly on my stock setup (intake and exhaust) but I’d rather buy once, cry once.

My car will be used about 2-3 times a year at the track, and driven about once a week on the street (has replaced my wife’s car in the garage) my daily is a minivan (company car) - and yes I’m a father of two. So daily driving is out of the picture.

I don’t mean to steal the thread OP, but I figured it was best to post here in case someone is in the same boat as me. Any input is appreciated (what else do I need?). Great thread BTW - tons of info here! I’m a mere peasant when it comes to suspension knowledge
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Contact Performance Shock Inc in Sonoma. They will have the best price and can do springs and revalues before shipping to you.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:37 PM
yip
Evolving Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Contact Performance Shock Inc in Sonoma. They will have the best price and can do springs and revalues before shipping to you.
I purchased my revalved Ohlins from PSI this year. If you call them they will likely give you a better price than what is listed on their site.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 09:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Call or email.

And we're not Ohlins "fanboys". The fanboy term implies you purchase parts simply because of the name. A lot of us have run multiple sets of coil overs and know the Ohlins are the best single adjustable in the price range.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 09:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoJoe21
Any input is appreciated (what else do I need?).
Pick a spring rate as a starting point. If you don't know, work with Performance Shock to find values that match your use case. There is some adjustment range, but it helps if you can tell them up front if you're likely to move up or down within that range.

The 18x10.5 wheels are difficult to fit. You might want to investigate different rear trailing arms for more clearance and maybe even a shorter spring up front. If you drop down to 18x10 you'll have a much easier time fitting the wheels.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 05:44 PM

Thanks for the input! I will give PSI a call tomorrow. I prefer to work with a local vendor (and they’re only about 7hrs north of me which is awesome).

I didn’t indend to throw around the word “fanboys” literally...just got a little excited. The quality that has shown through Ohlins performance on Evos and is backed by the testament from the community.

I purchased Eric’s (R/T Ernie) rear trailing arms about 5 years ago knowing what my future plans were 👍 although pricey, his work is incredible and it was another way for me to support our community.

Will the difference between a 10.5 and say a 10” width wheel be negligible? I would assume that an extra .5” would provide more surface area...so more traction right? I may be overthinking the extra width.

i look forward to seeing some of you at the track!

Last edited by EvoJoe21; Aug 6, 2019 at 10:11 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 06:45 PM
kaj

I fit a 10.5 wheel with offset arms. It wasn't easy...but it happened.
😂
Great choice on the coilovers.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by kaj
I fit a 10.5 wheel with offset arms. It wasn't easy...but it happened.
😂
Great choice on the coilovers.
Thanks for chiming in! Did you end up running a shorter spring up front? Also, did you end up with the PF01’s?

Obviously my rear quarter panels are going to hate me by the time I get these wheels fitted - but man, I’ve been drooling over some of the setups I’ve seen on here 👍
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Lol I was rubbing QP on a 9.5", Idk how you guys are fitting the 10.5s without some serious pulling.

Search this Thread