Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

what should I pick for coil overs?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2018, 01:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what should I pick for coil overs?

Trying to decide between BC racing BR series and Tein Flex Z's. I've never bought coil overs before so I have no idea which to choose. Was wanting to get the BC's with 7/8 front/rear springs, what do you guys think for street/late night mountain fun? The Teins look like they come in 8/7 front/rear. Isn't stiffer front spring rate going to cause under steer? I suppose they come stiffer in the front due to the front of the car being heavier. Will I even notice any understeer at speeds in corners you think with a difference of 1kg/mm in the springs? Thanks gents.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 05:37 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Most of our suspension guys here on the boards will tell you pick neither. I use Fortune Auto but a lot of our experienced members
prefer Ohlins

Regarding spring rates, here is a laymen's video on why the EvO uses a heavier rear spring than the front. Its worth watching if youre not familar w/the term "motion ratio"

Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:13 PM

Yeah Ohlins are out of the budget. Definitely considering the fortune 500s now though. I understand motion ratio and why the spring rate should generally be stiffer in the rear considering evos are usually 1:1 front and somewhere around .65-.8 rear in terms of ratio if I"m not mistaken. What I was confused by is why the Teins come stock with 1kg/mm softer rear springs.

How do you like the fortunes? What spring rate do you run and how do you drive it?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Ohlins can be had for less than $2k from Performance Shock. Well worth it to save up the extra $500 for them.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:52 PM

feel free to link cause I can't find that, every I site I have found ohlins on for an evo 4 are 2.5k roughly in EUROS. I'm in Canada so that is super pricey for me. I'm reading a lot of good things about the fortune 500s, the BC's and Teins were a lot more mixed.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Buy from a shop in seattle and drive down and bring them home?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:07 AM

lol ok I guess everybody and their goldfish wants me to buy ohlins, I'll look into it more gents
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:17 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Hemmy
Yeah Ohlins are out of the budget. Definitely considering the fortune 500s now though. I understand motion ratio and why the spring rate should generally be stiffer in the rear considering evos are usually 1:1 front and somewhere around .65-.8 rear in terms of ratio if I"m not mistaken. What I was confused by is why the Teins come stock with 1kg/mm softer rear springs.

How do you like the fortunes? What spring rate do you run and how do you drive it?
I run the 510's w/Swift springs 10K / 12K. They work very well & can take big hits w/out bottoming. I run their upper bearing kit was well. Update us on your Ohlins search
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Hemmy
feel free to link cause I can't find that, every I site I have found ohlins on for an evo 4 are 2.5k roughly in EUROS. I'm in Canada so that is super pricey for me. I'm reading a lot of good things about the fortune 500s, the BC's and Teins were a lot more mixed.
Google... Performance Shock Ohlins. And email them for a price.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Google... Performance Shock Ohlins. And email them for a price.
I just found them but they don't seem to have any for CP/CN9A, and as far as I know 8/9 aren't compatible on the 4, correct me if I'm wrong about that though. Also the prices are listed as 2375 with which google I find is 3076 CAD. The fortune 500s will run me 1650CAD. For someone who isn't really wanting to spend all the extra money, are they REALLY worth it? What specifically is so much better about the ohlins? Keep in mind, I'm not really tracking the car right now. Mainly street use and "fun" lets call it late at night on the mountain roads here in the great mountainous region. I'm not really looking to lower it either, although I may ever so slightly, but I'm mainly just after stiffer springs. Worth it just for that?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 07:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
If cheap is what you want it seems some really like the FA500s, but as other have said I couldnt recommend anything less than the Ohlins as an entry into coilovers. Less than that, and I would stick with Bilsteins HDs with a good spring. Though Ive heard thats even tough now that GTWorks springs arent made anymore (no you cant have my spare set :P)
Old Sep 25, 2018, 08:21 AM
EvoM Guru

The attraction of the Ohlins is that they ride so much better. The thing that makes the ride better (the DFV valve) also enhances their track performance.

You should email PSi for a quote. The price drops quite a bit. That way you know the actual $ figure you're looking at.

As far as having a different chassis, I'm not sure if Ohlins makes stuff for the older ones. If they did it may not be available here since the cars didn't come here.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey!

I personally love Fortune Auto for a great quality product at an affordable price. If you are using a car as a serious performance dedicated vehicle the Ohlins are AMAZING to say the least fantastic ride quality and huge handling gains to be had.

Let me know I will get you a great deal!

Leo