Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Bilstein B8 vs Bilstein Coilovers vs KW V3

Old Aug 13, 2017, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Bilstein B8 vs Bilstein Coilovers vs KW V3

So I'm trying to decide on a suspension set up.
My original plan was to go Bilstein B8 with Swift Spec R springs.
Then I found these: https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...3&autoModClar=
I also have a friend who had a set of KW V3s included with a car he bought. They need springs and not knowing the condition they would need a rebuild/revalve.
That being said, I will end up with about 12-1300 in either which way I go.
I like the idea of having adjustable ride height, but I do not want to sacrifice ride quality to achieve it.
What's everyone's thoughts and opinions on the above 3 setups?
No need to tell me to get Ohlins etc. but the service life on the Ohlins is **** and I'd like to get the car together and put many miles on it without having to tear back down for a suspension rebuild.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

250 views and no comments?????
Little more history for the car.
This car will NEVER see a track, unless I hit the lottery lol.
Street car only.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
My vote would be for bilstein b8's with gt worx springs. Unless you really want the ride height adjustability. This setup handles wonderfully and rides very nice. I've always wanted coilovers but am always hesitant to pull the trigger as I do live in the northeast and drive in winter and don't want to deal with seizing and corroding parts.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ronaldo9
My vote would be for bilstein b8's with gt worx springs. Unless you really want the ride height adjustability. This setup handles wonderfully and rides very nice. I've always wanted coilovers but am always hesitant to pull the trigger as I do live in the northeast and drive in winter and don't want to deal with seizing and corroding parts.
If I get the B8s they will be paired with swift springs. The GT WORX springs are nice, but don't lower the car enough for my inner ricer.
The following users liked this post:
Damian 26 (Feb 13, 2020)
Old Aug 16, 2017, 04:16 PM
Ens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just bought a set of Bilstein B8s and Swift Spec-Rs for just about $1000 last month. Got the Bilsteins from AJ-USA and the Swifts from Kamispeed. Both sites were running specials at the time, so I guess timing was right. They're getting installed this Friday to replace the stock KYBs and Teins from a previous owner. I'll take before and after pictures; car will probably be raised about 0.4" but the ride will likely improve ten-folds.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
You should consider a set of Bilstein B6 HD's with some GTworx springs. Great setup for the street.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitsubishi-L...VYsWBt&vxp=mtr
Old Aug 16, 2017, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ens
I just bought a set of Bilstein B8s and Swift Spec-Rs for just about $1000 last month. Got the Bilsteins from AJ-USA and the Swifts from Kamispeed. Both sites were running specials at the time, so I guess timing was right. They're getting installed this Friday to replace the stock KYBs and Teins from a previous owner. I'll take before and after pictures; car will probably be raised about 0.4" but the ride will likely improve ten-folds.
Yes share some pics after you get them installed please!

Originally Posted by nemsin
You should consider a set of Bilstein B6 HD's with some GTworx springs. Great setup for the street.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitsubishi-L...VYsWBt&vxp=mtr
I can get a set of B8s for that price.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 06:52 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
My experience with KW V3s:

They are considered one of their "street coilovers". As such, KW does offer rebuilds but not revalving. Places that do Rebuilds are somewhat easy to find, but RobiSpec was the last I heard doing revalving. This was a couple years ago and I can't say he still does them. If you have someone then that's awesome. Why would KW build a double-adjustable shock and not offer more support for them? No clue.

I think they are overkill for a street coilover and sub-standard for performance. Build quality is awesome, though.

Just my opinion, though. Lots of people seem to like them.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
My experience with KW V3s:

They are considered one of their "street coilovers". As such, KW does offer rebuilds but not revalving. Places that do Rebuilds are somewhat easy to find, but RobiSpec was the last I heard doing revalving. This was a couple years ago and I can't say he still does them. If you have someone then that's awesome. Why would KW build a double-adjustable shock and not offer more support for them? No clue.

I think they are overkill for a street coilover and sub-standard for performance. Build quality is awesome, though.

Just my opinion, though. Lots of people seem to like them.

Well KW claims that unless there is a substantial jump in spring rates, they won't need revalved. But since I don't know the actual condition I would want to at least do a rebuild.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 09:14 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by GSX_TO_EVO
Well KW claims that unless there is a substantial jump in spring rates, they won't need revalved. But since I don't know the actual condition I would want to at least do a rebuild.
you're good on the rebuild then. Mine came with 8k front and 6k rear. I needed 8k front and 10k rear. They told me the rear couldn't support that spring rate, so I had to sell them.
I'm not very good at dialing in coilovers, so I'm sure my single adjustables work better than I could have tuned the 2-ways.

If you aren't worried about specific spring rates, then it's no biggie.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
you're good on the rebuild then. Mine came with 8k front and 6k rear. I needed 8k front and 10k rear. They told me the rear couldn't support that spring rate, so I had to sell them.
I'm not very good at dialing in coilovers, so I'm sure my single adjustables work better than I could have tuned the 2-ways.

If you aren't worried about specific spring rates, then it's no biggie.
Yea to be honest I don't really have the know how on tuning a suspension, I'd rather just bolt it up and go lol. That's why I'm leaning more towards the B8s with the swifts.

Plus instead of having downtime taking a Coilovers off to be rebuilt I can just order a new strut, which seems like the less headache way to go.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
GTworx springs ride better than swifts imo.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 10:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
I had GTWorx on OEM Bilsteins. Ride was definitely more harsh than stock MR suspension but reasonably tolerable. I don't know if the B8 or B6 would ride any better. What I can say though is that Ohlins R&T are an amazing DD coilover. 8K front and rear with damping set to the light side definitely ride better than OEM Bilsteins + GTWorx. Of course its more money than what you want to spend, but IMHO, its well worth the difference in cost to get a system that both handles and rides better than any setup utilizing drop-springs.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:56 AM
Ens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As promised! It'll settle a bit, so the wheel gap will close a little more. Before the install, it had stock KYBs and Tein springs; needless to say, the shocks were in bad shape and those springs didn't help.

On incline at the shop: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByO...pIdUZYLVA4R0U/

On a more leveled surface: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...mxvMVdvLXdRdnM

Last edited by Ens; Aug 22, 2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ens
As promised! It'll settle a bit, so the wheel gap will close a little more. Before the install, it had stock KYBs and Tein springs; needless to say, the shocks were in bad shape and those springs didn't help.

On incline at the shop: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByO...pIdUZYLVA4R0U/

On a more leveled surface: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...mxvMVdvLXdRdnM
hows the ride? interested in your feedback vs. OEM

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bilstein B8 vs Bilstein Coilovers vs KW V3