Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

MAPerformance Rotors or DBA 4000?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2018, 08:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Thanks Joe.
With SCE basically dead, I'm hoping to be spending more time here also.
David
Old Oct 24, 2018, 07:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Apex Hunter
Pad selection is pretty crucial. The ability of the RB 2 piece rotor to cool more effectively should be considered. The Centric 125 can still be really effective for AutoX or HPDE use with the right pads and fluid.

Pads that have all the best street attributes suck at the track and vice-versa. I know a number of companies market pads that "work" for both venues, but there is always some compromise and in my experience the minimal time required to switch pads is totally worth it. It's like a swiss army knife. In a pinch, it's nice having that little phillips head screwdriver sometimes but i'd rather use the better tool given the choice.

OP- It is important to note that Centric has quite a few different rotor types. Those mentioned by letsgetthisdone are the same that MinusPrevious linked to a few posts up, and are the ones you want. They are easily identified by their 125 prefix. The remainder of the part number, '46064' refers to the application. Centric has some lowlier rotors out there also easily spotted by their part number prefix i.e. 120, 123 etc, and the 125 high carbon series is the flagship when it comes to OE style 1 pieces rotors.

Per the MAP site, Rotorpros uses Centric cores. Would be interesting to know which ones, but i'd be willing to be it's a 125. A 126 is the same alloy, just slotted and rebranded as Stoptech. 127 = drilled and slotted. And so on.

I've also been using the Centic 125s with good results for track days and street use.

I'm not a fan of the Girodisc Magic Pads either. They were on my car when I bought it, and I wanted to see what they were capable of and was pretty disappointed. They are not marketed as a track pad, so no surprise, but they really weren't great on the street either. I think you can do a lot better.

The RB two piece rotors are awesome. We used to do a lot of RB stuff at work. They come at a price though. For my HPDE needs, the 125s with the right pads are just fine.
-----------------------------------------------
Thanks for the solid info. For me the car only comes out of the garage for 5000ish miles/year, and when it comes out I plan on driving it fairly aggressive (within reason of course it's still the street). Do you think with the low mileage usage a track pad would be more worth while?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 07:56 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by schmeevo
-----------------------------------------------
Thanks for the solid info. For me the car only comes out of the garage for 5000ish miles/year, and when it comes out I plan on driving it fairly aggressive (within reason of course it's still the street). Do you think with the low mileage usage a track pad would be more worth while?
I know your question was for Apexhunter, but trust me, track pads on the street are obnoxious & dont think you will like them on the street. Very loud & need proper heat soak before they work at their optimum

My EvO only sees 3K per year or so & the StopTech pads are more than you need for street & light track duty
Old Oct 24, 2018, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
I know your question was for Apexhunter, but trust me, track pads on the street are obnoxious & dont think you will like them on the street. Very loud & need proper heat soak before they work at their optimum

My EvO only sees 3K per year or so & the StopTech pads are more than you need for street & light track duty
Ah it was a general question overall. I"ll stick to StopTechs then. You're right, I'm probably only going to get that much heat in the brakes on the street on rare occasions.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
^Yes. Stoptech 309s are tough to beat for the price.

I like the Hawk HPS 5.0s on the street too, a little better even than the Stoptechs, especially when hot. A little dustier and a little costlier though.

Also tried the Hawk Street/Race. pros- good bite and plenty of heat endurance for whatever you can through at them on the street. cons- loud, high iron content eats rotors when cold and not only are they dusty, but again lots of metal in that dust so get that stuff off all painted surfaces asap. On the track they didn't have enough heat endurance, wear pretty quickly, and if you don't drive em right they like to leave deposits on your rotors.

Hawk HP+ were reformulated this past July...i've heard from some good sources that they are quite good if you want an aggressive street pad. I may try those once I kill these 5.0s.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
It depends on the track pad. Raybestos ST series I wouldn't do it. But the XT910 are fairly aggressive and do well as a street pad. RB used to list them as a track pad, but now lists them as a street pad. The XT960 and 970 get decent reviews for street use also, even though they are listed as track only by RB.

I found the stoptech pads to not be enough for me. THey faded at autocross, and I could get them to fade on off ramps with high speed freeway exits in Mexico...
Old Oct 25, 2018, 01:30 PM

Hi everyone,

Coincidentally a local rotor manufacturer reached out to me and it appears that they make some quality products. Has anyone used their products before, or can you provide any insight on quality? I think the diamond/slotted rotors look gorgeous but functionality has to come first of course.

https://www.sp-performance.com/Default.asp

Regards