Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

MAPerformance Rotors or DBA 4000?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2018, 05:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question MAPerformance Rotors or DBA 4000?

Hi evom community!

I have a dilemma I was hoping you could help me solve. I do some aggressive street driving and am considering trying a little autocross next season (3 sessions max). Occasionally I'll be on the brakes in the 100+ territory, and its come time for some new brakes.

Does anyone have experience with MAPerformance rotors?
Link here: https://www.maperformance.com/produc...hoC1UcQAvD_BwE

I know the DBAs will be more than up to the task, but can the MAP setup do an adequate job at half the cost?

Thanks for your input.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 06:02 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Many of us who have track day'd our EvOs use Centrics (made by StopTech). They are super robust & work well for AX or track day work

https://www.maperformance.com/produc...ant=5341966147

Use a set of StopTech street performance pads & you are set. Change the brake lines to braided steel & some high temp brake fluid as well
The following users liked this post:
schmeevo (Oct 12, 2018)
Old Oct 12, 2018, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Many of us who have track day'd our EvOs use Centrics (made by StopTech). They are super robust & work well for AX or track day work

https://www.maperformance.com/produc...ant=5341966147

Use a set of StopTech street performance pads & you are set. Change the brake lines to braided steel & some high temp brake fluid as well
----------------------

Great thank you! Going to save myself a good chunk of change.
MinusPrevious (Oct 12, 2018)
Old Oct 12, 2018, 06:20 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Trust me, they work well. Centrics are excellent rotors.

Hey, if you get real serious about tracking, you can move to a lighter, 2 piece design & up grade the pads to a race pad (i.e. CarboTechs etc)
kyoo (Oct 12, 2018)
Old Oct 12, 2018, 09:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Centric premium blanks will work fine, and they're of OEM level quality. Those rotorpro rotors are not good quality from what I've seen. The magic pads will likely overheat, I also over heated the stop tech pads at auto cross. I would do Racing brake XT910 or ET800 pads.

Also, FYI, Centric makes stoptech rotors. Not the other way around.
schmeevo (Oct 15, 2018)
Old Oct 17, 2018, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ran this exact brake setup for 4-5 autocrosses and was underwhelmed by the pads specifically. They didn't have near the bite I was looking for, but were great for casual street driving with low dust.

I switched to EBC yellow pads and had the more aggressive bite I was looking for with a lot more dust. During track days I started to notice brake fade after 4-5 laps and major brake fade at speeds over 100mph.

I've since switched to 2 piece rotors and wish I would have originally.
schmeevo (Oct 17, 2018)
Old Oct 17, 2018, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Hookah Bazooka
I ran this exact brake setup for 4-5 autocrosses and was underwhelmed by the pads specifically. They didn't have near the bite I was looking for, but were great for casual street driving with low dust.

I switched to EBC yellow pads and had the more aggressive bite I was looking for with a lot more dust. During track days I started to notice brake fade after 4-5 laps and major brake fade at speeds over 100mph.

I've since switched to 2 piece rotors and wish I would have originally.

So the centrics didn't do it for you? What rotors and pads did you switch to? It sounds like a major cost increase though
Old Oct 17, 2018, 07:54 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by schmeevo

So the centrics didn't do it for you? What rotors and pads did you switch to? It sounds like a major cost increase though
Based on your notes, regarding track duty, the Centrics will work just fine. I ran the Centrics using Carbotech brakes, because the StopTech brakes are just not built for hard track duty. Ran this set-up at Fontana (Roval) & they worked very well.

If youre doing some light AX or even light track day work, the StopTech brakes will be OK.

If youre really going to be putting a high heat cycle into your system for a 25 minute duration, you will need some track brake fluid, brake lines & track oriented pads (i.e Carbotech or similar)
Old Oct 17, 2018, 07:58 PM

Based on your notes, regarding track duty, the Centrics will work just fine. I ran the Centrics using Carbotech brakes, because the StopTech brakes are just not built for hard track duty. Ran this set-up at Fontana (Roval) & they worked very well.

If youre doing some light AX or even light track day work, the StopTech brakes will be OK.

If youre really going to be putting a high heat cycle into your system for a 25 minute duration, you will need some track brake fluid, brake lines & track oriented pads (i.e Carbotech or similar)
---------------------------
I was thinking the centrics, along with higher temp fluid, and stainless lines based on your recommendation. Seems like a really good starting point for a performance street setup with intro track capability. What kind of operating temp ranges do you use to gauge pads for street vs track?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 08:11 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

---------------------------
I was thinking the centrics, along with higher temp fluid, and stainless lines based on your recommendation. Seems like a really good starting point for a performance street setup with intro track capability. What kind of operating temp ranges do you use to gauge pads for street vs track?
Try the Stoptechs first during your AX'ng. Track pads are very noisy & are not fun to run on the street.

Once you put some heat into them, the noise quiets down. True track only pads have great bite & sustain high temps for a longer duration.

Get both since swapping pads is very simple
Old Oct 18, 2018, 05:27 AM

Try the Stoptechs first during your AX'ng. Track pads are very noisy & are not fun to run on the street.

Once you put some heat into them, the noise quiets down. True track only pads have great bite & sustain high temps for a longer duration.

Get both since swapping pads is very simple
I'll grab both pads then and see which i like better, swap the track pads in only if necessary. I see MAP recommending a dot4 fluid (Motul RFB 600), i'll probably pick some of that up as well.
MinusPrevious (Oct 18, 2018)
Old Oct 18, 2018, 05:33 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

DOT 3 or 4 is the recommened spec. The RFB600 is a good fluid & will handle all the AX'g you can throw at it

Heres the manual OK on the fluid spec

schmeevo (Oct 18, 2018)
Old Oct 18, 2018, 06:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The MAP kit I bought had RotorPros rotors. They worked well with stainless lines, Motul RBF600, and EBC yellows on track, but would eventually heat soak and caused a massive reduction in braking performance, which lead to a few scary instances in hard brake zones.

The only change I made was swapping to the Racingbrake 2 piece rotors and that eliminated the heat soaking issues on track. I've got EBC blue pads to install this week and will get back on track in 2 weeks to see how they handle a more aggressive pad.

Ultimately I think you'll be fine starting with Centric blanks, stainless lines, Motul RBF600, and a quality set of pads. I'd also recommend the Grimmspeed master cylinder brace for a more consistent pedal feel. I had my wife press on the brakes while I watched the master cylinder and the deflection was almost 1/4" Much better feel afterwards.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Pad selection is pretty crucial. The ability of the RB 2 piece rotor to cool more effectively should be considered. The Centric 125 can still be really effective for AutoX or HPDE use with the right pads and fluid.

Pads that have all the best street attributes suck at the track and vice-versa. I know a number of companies market pads that "work" for both venues, but there is always some compromise and in my experience the minimal time required to switch pads is totally worth it. It's like a swiss army knife. In a pinch, it's nice having that little phillips head screwdriver sometimes but i'd rather use the better tool given the choice.

Trust me, they work well. Centrics are excellent rotors.
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Centric premium blanks will work fine, and they're of OEM level quality. Those rotorpro rotors are not good quality from what I've seen. The magic pads will likely overheat, I also over heated the stop tech pads at auto cross. I would do Racing brake XT910 or ET800 pads.

Also, FYI, Centric makes stoptech rotors. Not the other way around.
OP- It is important to note that Centric has quite a few different rotor types. Those mentioned by letsgetthisdone are the same that MinusPrevious linked to a few posts up, and are the ones you want. They are easily identified by their 125 prefix. The remainder of the part number, '46064' refers to the application. Centric has some lowlier rotors out there also easily spotted by their part number prefix i.e. 120, 123 etc, and the 125 high carbon series is the flagship when it comes to OE style 1 pieces rotors.

Per the MAP site, Rotorpros uses Centric cores. Would be interesting to know which ones, but i'd be willing to be it's a 125. A 126 is the same alloy, just slotted and rebranded as Stoptech. 127 = drilled and slotted. And so on.

I've also been using the Centic 125s with good results for track days and street use.

I'm not a fan of the Girodisc Magic Pads either. They were on my car when I bought it, and I wanted to see what they were capable of and was pretty disappointed. They are not marketed as a track pad, so no surprise, but they really weren't great on the street either. I think you can do a lot better.

The RB two piece rotors are awesome. We used to do a lot of RB stuff at work. They come at a price though. For my HPDE needs, the 125s with the right pads are just fine.
schmeevo (Oct 24, 2018)
Old Oct 18, 2018, 07:21 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

^^^Good info & thanks for joining us on this topic

Be great to get you more active on our boards

Joe