Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Best brake pads for the street

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2018, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Best brake pads for the street

Evo makes 850+ usually use it for street/Mexico highway pulls and some daily driving,, currently have some fedoro ds500 and they produce alot of brake carbon which paints my wheels in black and also squeeks at slow/traffic stops.... Any recommendations ?

​​
Old Oct 19, 2018, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Fixed calipers like the Brembos tend to be more susceptible to noise with higher friction compounds. I've experimented with Hawk DTC 30s on one of my cars with sliding calipers, and I was able to keep them quiet. Couldn't keep em quiet on the Evo, even with lots of lube in all the right places. Seems to be tricky to avoid unless you get some weaker pads.
There are definitely less dusty pad compounds available and there will be some performance sacrifice. A lot of the ceramic based compounds are very low dust, but they can't take repeated heavy braking from high speed very well, and not sure I'd want to see how well they deal with going from cold to nuclear slowing from 160 or whatever you are doing in Mexico. The DS2500 is a great pad. I understand the maintenance is more, comes with the territory I guess. There may be some pads out there that are in the same performance realm as the DS2500 but I doubt they are going to be significantly less dusty.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
girodisc magic

/thread
Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
^ That was a surprise. I found the initial bite, overall brake torque, and fade resistance to be mediocre at best with those. I don't think they're a terrible pad, but they can't keep with with DS2500s, not even close.

tauro91- I have a suggestion for you. This past July Hawk reformulated their HP+ compound. http://www.hawkperformance.com/perfo...ed-hp-compound
It *might* be a little less dusty. I think you will like the performance though, and it's going to be a bit more affordable than the DS2500 so it's worth a shot.
Anybody else had a chance to try the new HP+ formula? (and verify that they actually got the new formula- it'll take a while for all US inventory to migrate over)
Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
i just took it to mean some squeak free maint free pads. maybe some stoptech posiquiets or something. he doesn't need performance i guess
Old Oct 19, 2018, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
i like the ebc reds

dust is low, they dont squeak or grind... and they stop pretty good.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Over in this part of world, Endless MX72 is popular, maybe give those a shot?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 01:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I've done two pairs of DS2500s, they handle tracking, bite well, nut tend to crumble a bit after a few track days, i just dont want to experiment with anything else