Notices
Evo Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Evo VIII rear end floats

Old Nov 20, 2018, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Evo VIII rear end floats

Hi guys,
The problem has slowly been getting worse over the past year or so. At highway speeds the rear end seems to float, and on exit/entrance ramps that are not nice and flat it's very noticable. I've done some searching and only found threads with people talking about the front end and steering problems. She drives straight and true till there is a bump or undulation then the rear end "floats" a bit left and right. It can be unsettling accelerating down an exit ramp that isn't the best. I like understeer and all but this is a bit scary. Could it be as simple as my bushings going bad?
By the way I have a 2003 Evo VIII with 165K in the clock and only an aur intake and BOV.
Thanks, I've always loved this forum and you guys are the most helpful of anywhere I've found.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 06:20 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 855 Likes on 816 Posts
Yeah, sure, The diff bushes or the rear arm bushes could cause that. Could be damper related? You didnt note what suspension & how many miles on the dampers
Old Nov 20, 2018, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 143 Likes on 123 Posts
If the suspension is original the shocks are probably blown.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension is stock and I imagine original. I bought it with around 90K, and it's up to 165K now. So it sounds like I need bushings and shocks.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Replace your shocks first as that will be the easiest way to tell if that is the issue. Buy a used set as that will be the cheapest and most available way to replace the shocks.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 182 Likes on 146 Posts
By now I'd guess the OEM trailing arm bushings are worn out. They have a ton of void area so do a lot of stretching over their life. I would be good to look into replacing at a minimum that bushing, should be bushing #1 on any evo.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 06:45 AM
kaj
Evolved Member

Received 322 Likes on 306 Posts
Blown shocks = no damping = rear end bounces all over. I'd start there.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I would get the car on a lift and have all the control arms, ball joints and bushings evaluated for wear before doing anything. That way you know what is worn and will need replacing. Since you are at 165K you should anticipate struts and shocks to be needing replacement..

Car sounds pretty stock so MR Bilsteins keeps it that way and gives a slightly better ride and much improved damping from the KYB,s.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.