Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Does ABS System communicate with ECU

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2018, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Does ABS System communicate with ECU

Hi fellow Evo enthusiasts!

Background story: I知 converting my car from 4G63T internal combustion engine to electric motor. So, I知 removing the engine and all related items that will not be needed for sending power to the transmission.. I知 still in the beginning stages of just uninstalling parts that I think I will not need. At this time all I have are two electric motors. So there is not much for me to discuss about at this time or make a build thread and wait many months for small updates.

From what I understand is that the ABS has its controller/computer behind the ABS Pump. It reads the sensors input from the wheels to know if your locking the wheels or not. But how does it know that you're intentionally moving or at a stand still so it activates at the appropriate time only ? Does it communicate from the ECU or does it just take the information straight from the transmission speed sensor ? Basically will the ABS still function if I unplug and remove the ECU ?

I知 trying to remove as many things as I can that will not be needed but at the same time I want to retain the ABS system if I can. So ideally I would like to remove the ECU itself and engine harness or modify it if certain connections will still be needed.

Thanks for your help and input.

Old Dec 25, 2018, 02:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
There is a project in here that has already done this, on my phone not able to search, maybe he can assist you with this question.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by huzzle101
There is a project in here that has already done this, on my phone not able to search, maybe he can assist you with this question.
Are you referring to this electric conversion project https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/pr...nnovation.html ? Ive been following his thread and progress that inspired me to make the change. Unfortunately he deleted the ABS for his setup but my goal is to be able to keep the ABS .
Old Dec 26, 2018, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Well i was able to find this: https://www.quora.com/How-do-anti-lo...-being-stopped

So ABS works by monitoring the DIFFERENCE in speed between your wheels using sensors on each hub (or sometimes just the front hubs). If all 4 wheels are stopped, be it locked up or the car is simple stopped then as far as the ABS system ‘knows’ then the car isn’t moving. The result being that the ABS system does absolutely nothing under this condition.

How does this work in practice? Well the ABS system is designed to kick in before you get to the point of all 4 wheels being locked (or 2). By constantly monitoring each wheel it can start to work as soon as there is any differential in wheel speed beyond an acceptable limit (to allow for you turning tight corners). It closes and opens brake valves to turn the pressure on and off and allow you to remain in control of the car.
If the above information is correct and the way it works applies to our Evo's, the ABS is completely isolated from the Engine Control Unit (ECU) .
Old Dec 31, 2018, 09:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
Well i was able to find this: https://www.quora.com/How-do-anti-lo...-being-stopped

If the above information is correct and the way it works applies to our Evo's, the ABS is completely isolated from the Engine Control Unit (ECU) .
The Evo 8/9 pinouts from the factory service manual shows no interaction with the ABS unit.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
I'm running an Elite 1500 instead of the factory ECU and ABS still works perfectly fine. The ABS is separate from the ECU. As MrFred said, there's nothing in the diagrams that'd suggest otherwise.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The car has a G sensor. Is this for the ABS? Also a steering sensor which would have connection with stability control and the only stability control would be the brakes. So, I suggest checking the wiring diagrams to see if these sensors connect to the ECU.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 06:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
The car has a G sensor. Is this for the ABS? Also a steering sensor which would have connection with stability control and the only stability control would be the brakes. So, I suggest checking the wiring diagrams to see if these sensors connect to the ECU.
I'm not sure what all is connected to the ABS control unit, but the steering sensor is connected to the ACD control unit. If the G-sensor you mention is not the crash sensor, then it is also connected to the ACD control unit. None are connected to the ECU.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
I'm not sure what all is connected to the ABS control unit, but the steering sensor is connected to the ACD control unit. If the G-sensor you mention is not the crash sensor, then it is also connected to the ACD control unit. None are connected to the ECU.
My car has a G-sensor (not a crash sensor) and a steering angle sensor but being a 2003 model, no ACD.