Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

18x10+39 RE30 on a IX with X calipers?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2019, 01:46 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
18x10+39 RE30 on a IX with X calipers?

1. I'm gonna be "that guy" because I can't find this info in a search.
2. Is there much difference between where a X caliper sits, in relation to the hub, between a IX and X?
3. If not, it's safe to assume the wheel will clear the X calipers on my IX the same it would a X?
4. If so, how much difference would there be, so I can estimate spacer size?

Thanks, in advance. I'm thinking about making an expensive decision in regards to track wheels
Old Feb 9, 2019, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
@kaj, it’s my understanding that if the wheel clears the brakes on the 8/9, it will clear the X brakes as well.
The following users liked this post:
kaj (Feb 9, 2019)
Old Feb 9, 2019, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I believe you get what equates to ~3mm more clearance

And because the disc disc is larger it puts the caliper further out in a clearance friendly zone
The following users liked this post:
kaj (Feb 9, 2019)
Old Feb 9, 2019, 06:20 PM
kaj

Good new because it sounds like they will fit.. bad news... I'm about to spend a lot of money.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Nice,

Love to see it.

re30 are badass👍
Old Feb 10, 2019, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
hahaha I think you have earned your right to be "that guy"

Are you talking about the light gray set that popped up on Facebook? I was staring at those too, but their light gray is actually really dark, wouldn't work with my paint. Would look great on any other car though.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 03:21 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Name User
hahaha I think you have earned your right to be "that guy"

Are you talking about the light gray set that popped up on Facebook? I was staring at those too, but their light gray is actually really dark, wouldn't work with my paint. Would look great on any other car though.
That's them. To be honest, I don't want to spend that much, but he's offering what I think is a good deal (quite a bit under $3k). I was going to go with RPFs, but I'm not happy with their amount of flex and *some* reliability issues when really beat on. I may be moving up to a 275 BFG R1. So... Then I was just gonna throw on some Rotas to swap out every couple years or so, but they only come in a +35 which is really pushing it with those tires. I'd like to not yank on my quarter panels and that just about defeats the purpose of buying Dallas' rear trailing arms. These wheels pretty much would fit just about where I want and clear brakes, I think. My car is white, so these would look SO nice, I'd be tempted to daily with the r-comps LOL
Old Feb 13, 2019, 01:52 PM
yip
Evolving Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
That's them. To be honest, I don't want to spend that much, but he's offering what I think is a good deal (quite a bit under $3k). I was going to go with RPFs, but I'm not happy with their amount of flex and *some* reliability issues when really beat on. I may be moving up to a 275 BFG R1. So... Then I was just gonna throw on some Rotas to swap out every couple years or so, but they only come in a +35 which is really pushing it with those tires. I'd like to not yank on my quarter panels and that just about defeats the purpose of buying Dallas' rear trailing arms. These wheels pretty much would fit just about where I want and clear brakes, I think. My car is white, so these would look SO nice, I'd be tempted to daily with the r-comps LOL
I'm not very happy with my RPF's in 18x10. Looks like under load the wheel is flexing and the X caliper is rubbing on the inside of the barrel Clearance is good while sitting static.

We thought that maybe it was from drilling the stock 9 uprights slightly off but it's still doing it with Dallas's uprights.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 02:23 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by yip
I'm not very happy with my RPF's in 18x10. Looks like under load the wheel is flexing and the X caliper is rubbing on the inside of the barrel Clearance is good while sitting static.

We thought that maybe it was from drilling the stock 9 uprights slightly off but it's still doing it with Dallas's uprights.
I wouldn't doubt it. That's my concern. I talked to some "wheel guru" guy who says RPFs were designed long ago and may not hold up to certain demands. I'm not even sure Enkei considers them "race" wheels. I feel my 17s flexed with NT01s, I can only imagine 18s with a Hoosier.

I think I've nixed the RE30 though. I can get Rotas with NT01s for less than the Volks. Yeah, they may need replacing sooner (shooting for three seasons) but so much cheaper. Plus I like pissing off the "real wheels" crowd.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
RPF1 flex

Seriously guys? I was just glancing over EVOm before bed with no concerns. And now I read our RPF1’s are flexing. Same with NT03’s? Kidding. But I am looking for another set of track rims too. Just tried finding 18+38 offset and you’d think I was trying to find parts for rebuilding the space shuttle. Give me a break. Good ol RPF1’s are all I can find.

And hook me up with Dallas control arms please. 😀. Need some of those.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:08 AM
kaj

I just decided to do Rotas and maybe swap them out every few years. They come in just about any offset you want, just gotta find them.
I'll waiting on an email from RotaUSA on where to find the obscure offsets.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:01 PM
yip
Evolving Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Driv200
Seriously guys? I was just glancing over EVOm before bed with no concerns. And now I read our RPF1’s are flexing. Same with NT03’s? Kidding. But I am looking for another set of track rims too. Just tried finding 18+38 offset and you’d think I was trying to find parts for rebuilding the space shuttle. Give me a break. Good ol RPF1’s are all I can find.

And hook me up with Dallas control arms please. ��. Need some of those.
I think it's okay that there is some amount of flex.

I'm not up in arms over the flex because I fully understand that I bought what is considered a budget track day wheel. If I had spent 2, 3 or 4 times the cost of these wheels I might be upset but for what I paid I will deal with it.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 01:18 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by yip
I think it's okay that there is some amount of flex.

I'm not up in arms over the flex because I fully understand that I bought what is considered a budget track day wheel. If I had spent 2, 3 or 4 times the cost of these wheels I might be upset but for what I paid I will deal with it.
If you have them, definitely no harm in keeping. I have a brand new set to sell off, but wouldn't mind them if I were staying with 17s. . I'm buying a set of 18s ,so trying to avoid RPFs.