Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

to fit....18x10.5 +38 PF01 on a ct9a

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2019, 09:32 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
to fit....18x10.5 +38 PF01 on a ct9a

This is another one of those "I searched but couldn't find my exact problem" thread:

What have you guys done to get them to fit? I just did a test fit on the front with a 305 NT01. I now that's a poor choice of tire to test fit the wheel, but it's what they came with and I haven't had a chance to dismount. Anyway, I'm pleased to see the wheel clears the brakes without a spacer.. but even with a 20mm spacer I'm still hitting the front strut perch (8" spring) with the tire. I *think* I have some adjustment at the strut to add camber then subtract it back at the camber plate. I'm currently at 3* Camber, FWIW. The tires stick out quite a bit from the wheel, but not sure if that's the only reason it's rubbing.
I plan to run a 255 Hoosier, 295 Toyo RR, or a 275 NT01, which all seem to be about the same width. I have Dallas' rear trailing arm, so clearance there isn't an issue.

Will I need a shorter spring up front? Rear? Spacers to clear spring perches? Is the 305 only rubbing due to it's O.D. and how far it pokes past the rim?

Thanks, in advance!
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Well, before someone (anyone?) replies with 305s here's where I'm at with 285s on 18x10.5 +38 F14s. (KW V3s, 2.1 camber)

Gonna need at least 10mm spacers by the looks of it. (This is with no camber plate though, maybe the new Ohlins will work with the camber plates and the bolt going the other way?) Those trailing arms sure sent us off on an adventure.

Name:  BcvGwOa.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  33.2 KB

Last edited by Name User; Apr 25, 2019 at 10:33 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 02:03 AM
kaj

I assume that is the front? I still have my spacers from my RPFs. Maybe overkill but will hopefully work for now.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 06:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 573 Likes on 431 Posts
You can thank me for that adventure

Yes you'll need a bit of a spacer. I run a 20mm spacer on my 10.5 +30 wheels and I have probably about 10mm clearance to the spring. I also have flags so my spring clearance is worse than yours.

If you don't want to push things out then get shorter springs. Definitely set up the camber bolts to get max clearance and set camber on the tophat.

Keep in mind, you'll rub the frame with anything less than a 20mm spacer. So as long as you're not doing a ton of parking lot maneuvers you'll be okay.
The following users liked this post:
Name User (Apr 26, 2019)
Old Apr 26, 2019, 09:27 AM
kaj

Awesome, thanks! Sounds like I should be okay, then. I've been test fitting, but the wheels currently have 305 NT01s which really doesn't help LOL.
Right now, the giant tire rubs the front perch, even with a 20mm spacer. In the rear, the tire hits the control arm which pivots the front of the wheel outward (think lots of toe out) and makes the rim hit the rear perch. Or at least I hope that's why. I have 3 mm and 5mm spacers on hand, just in case..but hoping not to use them because my quarter panels will not be happy.

Front.

Rear
Old Apr 27, 2019, 10:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 573 Likes on 431 Posts
In the front you're running a massive tire. A 305/35 is considerably taller than what is normally used on evos. Once you move to a shorter tire you should be able to clear the perch without a spacer, at the worst you'll need a shorter spring and then you'll just run whatever amount of spacer you want to gain steering angle.

In the rear I don't see the control arm contact you're talking about but you'll probably need a small spacer to keep off the perch. It also looks like you're running a lot of camber in the rear which isn't helping that clearance.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 10:47 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by ayoustin
In the front you're running a massive tire. A 305/35 is considerably taller than what is normally used on evos. Once you move to a shorter tire you should be able to clear the perch without a spacer, at the worst you'll need a shorter spring and then you'll just run whatever amount of spacer you want to gain steering angle.

In the rear I don't see the control arm contact you're talking about but you'll probably need a small spacer to keep off the perch. It also looks like you're running a lot of camber in the rear which isn't helping that clearance.
I'm being lazy, so lemme do this

Originally Posted by kaj
Awesome, thanks! Sounds like I should be okay, then. I've been test fitting, but the wheels currently have 305 NT01s which really doesn't help LOL.
Right now, the giant tire rubs the front perch, even with a 20mm spacer. In the rear, the tire hits the control arm which pivots the front of the wheel outward (think lots of toe out) and makes the rim hit the rear perch. Or at least I hope that's why. I have 3 mm and 5mm spacers on hand, just in case..but hoping not to use them because my quarter panels will not be happy.
Once I swapped trialing arms and the tire was no longer pivoted at the hub, it all fit nicely! I have a Cars N Coffee meet in an hour.. I'm tempted to leave these on for the driver over