Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Max Camber out of Stock car/Camber plates

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2004, 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Max Camber out of Stock car/Camber plates

Hi there, just got a set of ra-1s for the car, 255/40/17's and am planning on doing autocrossing and HPDE days and was wondering how much camber you guys who are doing the same sort of events are running in the front, along with toe which I assume is close to or set at 0. Also for those of you running camberplates, how much more adjustment did they give you?

Scorke
Old Sep 17, 2004, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

I'm running Cusco camber plates at the front with the stock struts and Tanabe springs. I set the front camber to -2.5 degrees. You can get more negative camber if you want. I have the stock camber bolts set to maximum negative (about -1.6 degrees without plates). The plates are set close to the middle of their range and there seems to still be some clearance between the top of the strut and the body, so you could proabably get quite a bit more negative camber if you want. I seem to recall someone running -3.5 degrees at the front using plates. I use zero toe front/back.

The -2.5 setting I use seems to work well with the Falken tires I have using lately. On the track they seem to be wearing pretty evenly. I haven't been checking the temperature distribution though. I have been seeing uneven tire wear on the front with just road driving, however. I drove out to the Candadian GP in June (about 1800 miles round trip for me). After the trip, there was obviously more wear on the inner side of the tread. I rotated the front tires to the back after that trip.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

search, this has been discussed many many times
Old Sep 17, 2004, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Get some Cusco Pillowball uppermounts from Gruppe-s and you will get all the camber you need. You can use the Cusco plates on your stock suspension.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated. I have the tires on now and they feel amazing, will be picking up either the tein or cusco plates soon. Chrisw, I searched, didnt get the results I was looking for so posted. got my questions answered. If your not going to help somebody with a post dont say anything.........

Scorke
Old Sep 17, 2004, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

scorke - I agree with you. Although some issues "have been posted/discussed many times before". It is often very difficult to find with the search function on this site. Personally, I don't mind things being repeated. Usually new information comes up and it reaches a new audience.

What rims are you using and have you had any interference with the 255/40 RA1's? I want to use those tires also.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 09:34 AM

I'm at -3, I could probably go even farther. I'm using JIC FLTA2.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

i have a same set up like tsi90awd.....the only different is I push the camber plate all the way....I have about -3.0 neg camber in the front. Tire wear is pretty even across and my toe is set at zero.
Old Sep 18, 2004, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

tires

Went for some awesome mountain runs last night with the tires for a little break in, it was wet, lots of debris on the road which consisted mostly of wet leaves and they were absolutely amazing. It dried off last night and had some fun this morning, the tirest stick just amazingly well and do not ride much stiffer than stock. I am running them on the stock wheels with no issues whatsoever, if you would like I can probably get a few pictures up soon.

Scorke