EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension-23/)
-   -   Tire Chains / cables and AWD (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension/104242-tire-chains-cables-awd.html)

svillata Oct 19, 2004 02:21 PM

Tire Chains / cables and AWD

I know you guys out in the REAL snow areas buy winter tires, but us out here in Cali just throw on tire cables (or chains) when we head up to the snow (if required). My mom just bought a Subaru Baja Turbo (by the way... its a fun little car) and the dealer told her she had to put cables on all 4 tires. I have always only put them on the front for my Evo and FOrester. Does anybody KNOW if you MUST put them on all 4 tires. Am I screwing something up in my drivetrain? Or is it SAFE (for my drivetrain) to only put chains on either the front or rear?

bolsen Oct 19, 2004 02:41 PM

Chains have always scared me. Never used em, but I just can't imagine it!

Nellie Oct 19, 2004 03:48 PM

I'd think if you only have one set of chains/cables they'd go on the front axle - better steering, stoping and going (slightly).

If you're going to take the Evo to Tahoe I'd also think you'd want chains/cables on all four wheels. With 8.5inch contact patches on each corner and a relatively light weight, the Evo is going to need all the traction help it can get.

- Nellie

svillata Oct 19, 2004 03:58 PM

Nellie: hmm... St. helena... you have some nice driving roads over there. Actually, in a light snow, its not too bad just on the front. Thats what I have always done. But I agree... all 4 would be safer in a real storm. But I am more wondering if putting only on the fron screws up the center diff or something? I don't know how all that AWD stuff works!!

Nellie Oct 19, 2004 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by svillata
Nellie: hmm... St. helena... you have some nice driving roads over there. Actually, in a light snow, its not too bad just on the front. Thats what I have always done. But I agree... all 4 would be safer in a real storm. But I am more wondering if putting only on the fron screws up the center diff or something? I don't know how all that AWD stuff works!!

Hehehe - we do have some pretty good driving around here!

Using chains/cables on the front only is not going to adversly affect the AWD system - especially when you think you will only be using them during snow conditions, meaning that you'll have less stress on the overall drive train due to more slip under the wheels.

Think about the added strain hammering around on dry tarmac puts on the system, where each wheel is effectively fighting against the other three.

We've got a ten year old Range Rover for skiing trips which could care less how much snow is on the ground!

I hear there's two feet of snow in the Sierra's thanks to the current storm - bring it on!

- Nellie

svillata Oct 19, 2004 04:51 PM

yes. boarding time. been waiting all summer (I live an hour from the slopes in I-80). ALso, lots of muddy dirt roads around here to go driving on now . I love taking the Evo in the mud to play.

BOOSTonHanD Oct 19, 2004 06:32 PM

last year was my first year snowboarding, my friends and i dont know when the season really starts (when is it best for driving conditions and actual good snow). im also in cali and i usually go to suger bowl or around that area. what is the best place to snowboard in your guys opinion. so far ive been to suger bowl, squaw valley and boreal.

Nellie Oct 19, 2004 06:40 PM

Skiing is more my thing but boarding is also good at Alpine and Northstar.

I think Alpine is my top pick as the best allround (skiing / boarding / partying!)

- Nellie

svillata Oct 20, 2004 01:12 PM

is it ok to hijack my own thread? I think so.

I am not very good, so I really liked squaw valley. I know its a little pricey, but just so much intermediate slopes... so much space. Just was perfect environment for me to push myself without getting two difficult. I think at 30+, I might break a hip or something, so I needs to be more careful than when I was 18. Maybe it would be boring for someone advanced.

So, Alpine is good? I need to check it out this year!!

skiracer Oct 20, 2004 04:15 PM

So, do you guys know if we should put the chains in the front or rear tires if we need to use them?

tahoeacr Oct 21, 2004 10:16 PM

I drove mine around in that snow we got. Did better than I thought. Didn't get stuck but, wouldn't stop for a darn. My vote goes on the front. I searched everywhere for a 16 that would fit. Even had Compomotive check the UK. It's GSX brakes for me. You all being familiar with my location understand my need for the ultimate in snow traction.

Neal@tirerack Oct 22, 2004 07:14 AM

We never recommend chains/cables. They tend to damage the tires tread slab aside from the poor handling and noise associated with them. If you do something to the front of the vehicle, you should really do it to the rear as well. Just like mixing snow tires and non snow tires, you shouldn't mix chains and no chains.

skiracer Oct 22, 2004 07:23 AM

Hi Neal, On certain days in California, you are required to have chains on your car regardless if you have snow tires and AWD (including SUV's). So, for us Californians, what should we do on days that we are required to have chains on our car?

dohcvtec Oct 22, 2004 11:09 AM

i lived in tahoe for 2 years, i dont remember one time where we had to put chains on our suburban. snow tires and awd/4wd always allowed us to pass. i plan on buying a set of snow tires and spare wheels for this winter season as i do a lot of snowboarding myself. i really really do not want to put chains on this car.

svillata Oct 22, 2004 12:11 PM

hmm... i agree that chains are not ideal, but like sometims they are good... especially when you don't have snow tires because 9/10 of my driving is on tarmac. Also, I have slid off the road in Yosemite before in a snowstorm with AWD and snow tires (subaru forester). Was scary as hell, because it was a pretty good drop... luckily hit a snowbank. I'll take the cables any day over sliding off a damn cliff. THat would do a lot more damage than the cables.