EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension-23/)
-   -   Best performing summer tires (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension/145994-best-performing-summer-tires.html)

nnorris7413 Jun 26, 2005 08:08 PM

Best performing summer tires

Ive been looking around at tires, but i havent come to any conclusions. What tires will give me the best summer performance while retaining good treadwear? They would need to be able to fit on the stock rims, and i dont want them to be extremely expensive. What im looking for is a tire that has better treadwear than the stock advans and that perform as well or better than the stock advans. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Tak555 Jun 26, 2005 08:21 PM

bfg gforce kdw... i dont know from experience, but i've read oh these forums that these will give you the same traction as the advans, but with longer tread wear. dont know on pricing though.

2GDSM Jun 26, 2005 08:22 PM

Kuhmo Ecsta MX's are my suggsetion. Best you can buy for the money and then some. Mine last roughly 25k miles.

2GDSM Jun 26, 2005 08:23 PM

just read the gforce KDW's... bad idea, those are pretty crappy tires actually. if you want the BFGoordrichs for the summer, then get the KD's.

DCSilvrEvo Jun 26, 2005 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by 2GDSM
just read the gforce KDW's... bad idea, those are pretty crappy tires actually. if you want the BFGoordrichs for the summer, then get the KD's.

yea I heard that thoughs ****ts chunk off and crap!

4-BNGR Jun 26, 2005 08:41 PM

Nitto 555 ZR Extreme's

SoR Jun 26, 2005 08:45 PM

Try out Toyo T1R and tell us how they are, they're suppose to be better than T1S and with stiffer sidewall

nnorris7413 Jun 27, 2005 06:10 AM

Oh yeah, i forgot to mention that i might be taking the car to the track a few times a year. I dont want to have separate track and street tires, so i need tires that will hold up well on a track too.

PVD04 Jun 27, 2005 06:24 AM

I'm running the Advan Neovas now. They should last a little longer than the stock tires as the treadwear rating is 180 vs. 160 for the stock tires, although I can't confirm that as I only have about 2000 miles on them. They have pretty much the same responsiveness as the stock Advans and seem to grip better. At first I thought they were less responsive than the stock tires, but soon found out that they require slightly more pressure. Another advantage is that they are more comfortable for daily driving and are less expensive. They still are somewhat expensive, but it'll be very tough to find an inexpensive tire that can perform as well as the stock tire.

-Paul

NocturnalEVO Jun 27, 2005 06:30 AM

how much did u pay for ur neova's?

PVD04 Jun 27, 2005 06:54 AM

I think it was around $870 shipped from Tire Rack. (245/40/17)

-Paul

LA EVO 8 Jun 27, 2005 07:32 AM

I have the Dunlop SP Super Sport, unfortunately, the :eek: treadware is only 60, but damm these things sick like glue. {thumbup}

little Jun 27, 2005 08:11 AM

Thumbs up for the Advan Neovas here too.

oak2207 Jun 27, 2005 08:41 AM

Bridgstone Potenza S03. I got them for $166/ea at www.edgeracing.com and they're usually in the $180s everywhere else. Awesome performance, right up there with the Advans. The treadwear is 220 so they should last a bit longer too.

detroit evo Jun 28, 2005 07:42 PM

I just went back to the Advan A046 stock tires. They are hard to beat. I think I might step over to the Neova's to get the extra 10mm of tire width once these 046's go away.

One thing that I think is critical is the amount of sidewall stiffness of the stock tires. I haven't read much on this forum about the turn in sharpness differences between tires. I am curious if the Neova's have that same "instant" bite. I need to do some searching.

I keep reading the press about the new Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 (watch out for the high banks!) and their BFGoodrich division's g-force KD's.