EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension-23/)
-   -   Best EVO springs - JDM or US?? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension/26997-best-evo-springs-jdm-us.html)

SmokinJoe Jun 16, 2003 09:55 AM

Best EVO springs - JDM or US??

Who makes the best EVO springs?

I'm looking for a spring rate slightly higher than stock with a decent drop (1.2" or so, front - 1" rear).

Espelir, Cusco, Tein,..?? All current EVO VII springs should fit on the VIII right?

GOKEN Jun 17, 2003 10:38 PM

Get the Tein one, I have tried to get the HKS Super Form springs Set for my EVO 7, but too bad HKS do not produce any for Evo 7. The Tein springs lower the car 35mm front and 15mm rear.

SmokinJoe Jun 18, 2003 04:17 AM

I've read the Tein rates and they are super soft..

What about the red Espelirs.. how are they different than the blues?

IS2000 Jun 18, 2003 08:55 AM

Do you know of if the spring rates on those Teins are more aggressive than stock? I like the way the front drop 35mm and 15 mm for the rear.

Shahul X Jun 19, 2003 02:31 PM

i think the teins are less, what about the pro-kits?

-shahul

SmokinJoe Jun 19, 2003 02:46 PM

I just ordered a set of Tohatsu Sport Mach springs from Japan.

http://www.tohatsu-springs.co.jp/

The rates are 4.82 kg/mm and 5.56 kg/mm, equates to 270 and 310 lbs.
Stiffer than stock.

Drops the car 30mm and 15mm. So I'm hoping it will give me that front rake.

ADMstunna Jun 19, 2003 02:48 PM

whats this, no ranting about springs being useless and mutiny and backwards thinking from the moderators? when i asked this question i got bombarded. lol. i guess asking about springs is okay now?

SS RX7 r2 Jun 19, 2003 03:09 PM

Re: Best EVO springs - JDM or US??

Originally posted by SmokinJoe
Who makes the best EVO springs?

I'm looking for a spring rate slightly higher than stock with a decent drop (1.2" or so, front - 1" rear).

Espelir, Cusco, Tein,..?? All current EVO VII springs should fit on the VIII right?

As you probably guessed I like the Espelirs. The spring rate is noticeably stiffer than stock. I wouldn’t want it any lower, I have to be careful not to scrape the nose out of driveways and the compression travel would be too short. But the car never scrapes over speed bumps like the other lowered cars I have owned. For optimum performance it would be nice to team the springs w/a slightly shortened shock and strut body w/increased or adjustable damping.

Z1 Performance Jun 19, 2003 05:18 PM

Eibach is the nicest we have used to date..very comfortable for everyday driving - problem is Eibach is not offering them in the US, so we simply bring them in ourselves from Europe

Cusco does not make lowering springs

Espelir, Tein etc are also excellent units..the Teins will be in the country by the end of the summer I am told

Adam

3171 Jun 20, 2003 07:29 AM

from my limited experience, you should not just fit lower springs, you need to match the dampers with the springs, otherwise the handling will be compromised

SmokinJoe Jun 20, 2003 03:06 PM

Not to be rude.. but experience with what? VII's or VIII's

I do agree somewhat but the stock dampers are pretty beefy.

OK - I found out the rates and drop for the RED Espelirs..not good.
They are soft and dont have that front rake. Both the Fr and Rr drop are 25-30mm (same... damnit). They are also 3.7kg/mm and 3.2kg/mm

Very soft. Thus far, the Tohatsu's look the best.

3171 Jun 20, 2003 06:19 PM

my own car is a tme but i have been to the track with a few other VII and VIIIs. the stock suspension on all 3 cars are pretty much the same.

I used to run Tein HAs, they are not too bad for fast road and OK on the track. However, if you want to be quick, you need something more aggressive.

Shahul X Jun 23, 2003 10:50 AM

what about the ralliart springs , they are 1" drop and higher rate?

-Shahul

SS RX7 r2 Jun 23, 2003 11:09 AM

Originally posted by SmokinJoe

OK - I found out the rates and drop for the RED Espelirs..not good.
They are also 3.7kg/mm and 3.2kg/mm

Have you found out how the Red Espelirs compare to the Blues with regard to spring rate?

value Jun 23, 2003 02:15 PM

Blue = active low down springs

red = active gt springs