EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension-23/)
-   -   Issue with Whiteline Roll Center Correction Kit (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension/355894-issue-whiteline-roll-center-correction-kit.html)

Shadowpriest Jul 6, 2008 04:24 PM

Issue with Whiteline Roll Center Correction Kit

Greetings. I recently had a whiteline RCCK installed on my Evo. Everything is riding fine, except for one small issue:

The ball joint dust boot for the driver's side ball joint likes to pop up and come partially off the lower ball joint it is protecting when I raise that side of the car with a jack, for example to swap wheels. The passenger side dust boot stays put when the passenger side is raised. What's happening is that the dust boot is getting pinched from the extreme angle and it is causing the outer side of the dust boot to slide up and off the ball joint. I am running about -2 degrees of camber up front so this is adding to the extreme angle as well.

My suspension is bone stock except for the rcck and a rear sway bar.

Has anyone run into this issue with the whiteline kit before? I almost wish the bottoms of the boot did not have that metal ring in them and instead were just rubber that fit very snug around the top of the ball joint.

jbfoco Jul 6, 2008 09:58 PM

use the stock boots they actually stay on (-:

Shadowpriest Jul 7, 2008 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by jbfoco (Post 5858059)
use the stock boots they actually stay on (-:

Any downsides to this besides a little extra part of the joint arm being exposed because the stock dust cap isn't as tall as the whiteline dust boot? I like how the stock dust bootsfit much better than the whiteline.

So has anyone else run into this problem? Seems if you have extreme camber in the front it would make this worse because it makes the boot bend so much. With the stock boots being a tad shorter, they probably wond even contact the knuckle at the top and not be pinched at all.

Tsurugi-san Jul 7, 2008 07:31 AM

Are you lowered at all?

If I'm not mistaken, that kit (which I currrently run) is intended to correct the suspension geometry of lowered vehicles. I'm wondering if using it on a stock ride-height vehicle wouldn't create issues. My 2 cents, anyway. Good luck!

Shadowpriest Jul 7, 2008 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Tsurugi-san (Post 5858825)
Are you lowered at all?

If I'm not mistaken, that kit (which I currrently run) is intended to correct the suspension geometry of lowered vehicles. I'm wondering if using it on a stock ride-height vehicle wouldn't create issues. My 2 cents, anyway. Good luck!

It's designed for lowered and non-lowered vehicles. Besides, the time at which it seems to pop off the most is when I raise the front driviers side of the car and the wheel is still going to droop regardless of what springs I have.

madmax199 Jul 8, 2008 09:37 AM

you are right the kit is designed and works on lowered or stock height cars. the dust cap does the same thing on my car also and I'm lowered with coilovers, I would not worry to mutch about it, mine has being like that for over a year and it's fine.

Shadowpriest Jul 8, 2008 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by madmax199 (Post 5863342)
you are right the kit is designed and works on lowered or stock height cars. the dust cap does the same thing on my car also and I'm lowered with coilovers, I would not worry to mutch about it, mine has being like that for over a year and it's fine.

Interesting. Glad to see I'm not the only one. If Whiteline would correct this issue with a different lower dust boot design I'd be happy. In the meantime, I have put the stock dust boots on, and they fit fine, very snug around the bottom of the boot which is exactly what I was looking for.

madmax, I would inspect your ball joints thoroughly. If the boot is popping off and you are riding around with it like that, then brake dust, dirt, grime, and god knows what is getting into your ball joint. I'm pretty sure that's not a good thing hehe. I had a set of whiteline ball joints destroyed by winter weather/road salt because I drove around all winter not knowing I had this issue. The ball joints were nearly dry when I found the problem, all rusted and metal was already wearing down! They were making popping noises when I turned the steering wheel.