EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension-23/)
-   -   Anti Lock Light keeps coming up! (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension/419195-anti-lock-light-keeps-coming-up.html)

mirebih May 6, 2009 06:29 PM

Anti Lock Light keeps coming up!

Well, I have a big problem with my brakes these days, and its really strange.
When I start the car and drive till the first stop it acts normal. First time I press on the break, they start to make noise and don't break as much. They sound like ABS in the snow. Exactly like that. After driving for about 5 minutes, and tapping the breaks lightly, Anti Lock comes up and there is no more noise, and the breaks work fine again. When i shut the car, and start it again, its a same problem. So this is being repeated every time i shut the car.
So, I let my friend check it at Nissan dealer, and he said its right side ABS sensor, so I call up turbodan, and we change the right one, but noo, that was not it. I still have the same problem.
So guys, anyone else that had the same problem, or can add something.. Its really annoying, and I just wanna get it fixed as soon as possible..
Thank You.

mirebih May 7, 2009 12:13 PM

no body knows about this problem

mirebih May 7, 2009 12:14 PM

or a possible solution

goofygrin May 7, 2009 12:27 PM

Have you checked your brake fluid? Verified that all your pads aren't sticking?

It's more than annoying, it's not safe.

You might pull the ABS fuse if you can on the VIII/IX since it seems that your car works better when it finally disables the ABS.

tougetuned May 7, 2009 12:28 PM

i had the same problem, i did what you did and replaced the abs speed sensor, still didnt fix the problem so i took a closer look and it turned out to be the abs speed ring, that toothed ring in the hub assembly, it had a chipped tooth which gave a false reading to the sensor tripping my abs, that could be your problem too, hope this helps.

xtnct May 7, 2009 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by tougetuned (Post 7033996)
...turned out to be the abs speed ring, that toothed ring in the hub assembly, it had a chipped tooth which gave a false reading to the sensor tripping my abs, that could be your problem too, hope this helps.

On my 'ol Vdub, the ring got rusty enough that it started to give bad signals. Wire-wheel cleanup with a little anti-rust primer did the trick for the next several years.

mirebih May 11, 2009 07:18 PM

i had the same problem, i did what you did and replaced the abs speed sensor, still didnt fix the problem so i took a closer look and it turned out to be the abs speed ring, that toothed ring in the hub assembly, it had a chipped tooth which gave a false reading to the sensor tripping my abs, that could be your problem too, hope this helps.

On my 'ol Vdub, the ring got rusty enough that it started to give bad signals. Wire-wheel cleanup with a little anti-rust primer did the trick for the next several years.
Thank you guys, I will check up on that.. I never thought of that thought.
Thanks once again.

VT Mitsu Dec 31, 2009 02:56 PM

Resurrecting this....

I have one missing and one bent tooth on my ABS TONE RING/EXITER RING/SPEED SENSOR RING and it is causing the same issue. Right rear axle.

Dealer stated need new axle, not willing to replace just the toothed ring.

Anyone ever replace just the toothed ring? Source for the toothed ring?

500 plus dollars for a new axle. need a more reasonable solution.

Thanks for the input

TomT

VT Mitsu Jan 1, 2010 09:41 AM

Bump :]

MitsuJDM Jan 1, 2010 10:10 AM

Are you sure the teeth aren't actually built into the axle? I work for Honda and there are times that the manufacurer themselves do NOT offer things like that seperate, you must buy the entire thing.

VT Mitsu Jan 1, 2010 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by MitsuJDM (Post 7847304)
Are you sure the teeth aren't actually built into the axle? I work for Honda and there are times that the manufacurer themselves do NOT offer things like that seperate, you must buy the entire thing.

Thanks for the input...

Tech at dealership is a good guy and stated they used to replace just the ring, but if not installed/epoxied correctly, at te rigt angle, dealer would end up having to do the whole axle anyways so now Mitsu just replaces the whole axle. So at one point at least, it was available.

Any idea of alternative source for tone ring? I would at least like to try it...

Bassicfun Jan 3, 2010 08:07 AM

Anyone else had issues removing the sensor? I removed the bolt, but sensor is stuck in the carrier, and it looks like it is plastic, trying to not snap/break it just to get it loose.

Solo II Evo Jan 14, 2010 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bassicfun (Post 7851107)
Anyone else had issues removing the sensor? I removed the bolt, but sensor is stuck in the carrier, and it looks like it is plastic, trying to not snap/break it just to get it loose.

I just broke mine :( they looked just like that. I dropped the subframe, I should've disconnected the sensor's above in the fender and dropped the knuckles with the sensors still in them.

Lesson learned. Mitsubishparts.net, here I come!

Bassicfun Jan 14, 2010 05:22 PM

Good luck!!! $280 ish from them.... :-/ I replaced mine with a used one for $100... still have issues, but I am going to troubleshoot everything else before dealing with the guy who sold it, saying he knew the sensor was good.

jrod0187 Jan 28, 2010 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by VT Mitsu (Post 7847338)
Thanks for the input...

Tech at dealership is a good guy and stated they used to replace just the ring, but if not installed/epoxied correctly, at te rigt angle, dealer would end up having to do the whole axle anyways so now Mitsu just replaces the whole axle. So at one point at least, it was available.

Any idea of alternative source for tone ring? I would at least like to try it...

Did you find a solution to this?

Ugh. Same issue here but front passenger side. Nailed a curb ass hatting around in the snow. I figured it was just the sensor and reading this thread I may not be so lucky. So instead of just buying a sensor I'd like to see whats up with the teeth on the ring.