EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension-23/)
-   -   Tire fell off rim (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension/430519-tire-fell-off-rim.html)

Babs Jun 29, 2009 07:22 PM

Tire fell off rim

and the rim is a magnesium blue volk ce28...

i will not name the place i got it mounted for their sake but i had my tires mounted in early february and the charge is on my online bank statement. exactly how do i go about getting a new from them?

note i was not doing donuts...i was traveling at maybe 15mph and i had to make a sharp left turn, it was wet outside, the tire popped off, and i made a 180 and came to a stop. i have done auto-x'ing on these tires/rims at two events now with no problem.

i'm going to their shop tomorrow so exactly how should i approach them? i do not want to start an argument (unless it comes to that)...i just want a rightful reimbursement

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/6373/p1010273n.jpg
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/773/p1010274j.jpg
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/2784/p1010275e.jpg
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/8603/p1010276l.jpg
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/779/p1010277s.jpg

Berts24 Jun 29, 2009 07:26 PM

how much you wanna bet they're going to say you didn't have the right inflation???

MitsuJDM Jun 29, 2009 07:26 PM

That just looks like a unfourtunate tire failure. You just got them mounted in February? They look like they're nearly bald.

2LOFD3ATH Jun 29, 2009 07:30 PM

Yeah to both statements.
Sux, Claim insurance on it

Babs Jun 29, 2009 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Berts24 (Post 7227289)
how much you wanna bet they're going to say you didn't have the right inflation???

technically they can't prove that i had it under/overinflated correct? honestly i had them all around 34psi. they're the ones that have to prove that they're not at fault i think

Originally Posted by MitsuJDM (Post 7227292)
That just looks like a unfourtunate tire failure. You just got them mounted in February? They look like they're nearly bald.

baldness does not attribute to the tire completely falling off...besides that, i have 2 replacement tires sitting in my garage that i was going to have put on this week

Babs Jun 29, 2009 07:31 PM

i bought this tire used from them with about 50% tread left...they've been through 2 auto-x's

i bought it from them and they mounted and balanced it

zbomb Jun 29, 2009 07:32 PM

If you have autox'd on them twice, how do you think it is the tire shop's fault it came off now ?

yahu Jun 29, 2009 07:32 PM

Wow, that sucks. Best of luck, but I could see a few ways they could try to wiggle out of this one, and they might be legit in some cases. Hopefully everything works out for you, bro.

robertrinaustin Jun 29, 2009 07:33 PM

You've had them on for 4 months and two autocross events and you honestly think they weren't mounted correctly. Do you have any proof? They're going to tell you what any reasonable person would, it's not my fault. You've had them on for 4 months and some very hard driving.

Babs Jun 29, 2009 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by zbomb (Post 7227311)
If you have autox'd on them twice, how do you think it is the tire shop's fault it came off now ?

since when do tires falling off become something you should worry about? do they make "specially designed" tires that you can buy that won't fall off around a track?

point is, if you install tires on a rim, they shouldn't be falling off

nelale2 Jun 29, 2009 07:35 PM

i don't see how it was their fault. its not like the tire came off min's/day's/week's after they mounting them, its been months. you even stated that you've auto-x with this set up and you were fine. for all you know it could have been just curtain circumstances or conditions at the time that made the tire un-bead itself from the rim.
i highly doubt you will get anything from the tire shop.
since you ask about how to approach them, i would ask them if they have any type of guarantee before you tell them what the situation is. that way if they say something like we guarantee our work for a year, they you could proceed to make your complain. but if they say we guarantee our work for a month or days or whatever and its been over that time. that online statement will be more of a reason for them not to do anything for you.

EvoHung Jun 29, 2009 07:35 PM

Are you sure you were only doing 15mph?
Anyways, just call up the shop tomorrow and see what they say. Then go on from there. Worst case scenario is you have to buy one new rim and tire.

EvoHung Jun 29, 2009 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Floyd is Pink (Post 7227309)
i bought this tire used from them with about 50% tread left...they've been through 2 auto-x's

i bought it from them and they mounted and balanced it

Okay, I just read this statement and you are $hit out of luck.

localtoys73 Jun 29, 2009 07:40 PM

wth are u doing over there
geez good luck let me know how it turns out

nelale2 Jun 29, 2009 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by EvoHung (Post 7227341)
Okay, I just read this statement and you are $hit out of luck.

LOL!!!! only time i buy used tires is to drift the **** out of them. not to daily drive on them, and i wouldn't even consider auto-x'ing with them

h22gordo Jun 29, 2009 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Floyd is Pink (Post 7227315)
since when do tires falling off become something you should worry about? do they make "specially designed" tires that you can buy that won't fall off around a track?

point is, if you install tires on a rim, they shouldn't be falling off

So are you saying that if you had a blowout (after driving on them for 4 months), you would blame the tire shop also? You bought the tire used also......I mean cmon.

Dude, **** happens, and sometimes it will happen to you. The tire shop is not to blame. If they were at fault, the tires would have fallen off about 4 months ago, or the day after you got them.

Don't even bother going to the tire shop to complain.

Babs Jun 29, 2009 07:44 PM

just went out and looked at the tire...it looks like there's a huge nail in it. this is a run-flat but it's also a thick ass nail...maybe this got in there, lost pressure, and the tire slipped off?

what should i do at this point?

nelale2 Jun 29, 2009 07:46 PM

like i said certain situations and **** happens.
time to look for a new rim and NEW tires

Babs Jun 29, 2009 07:47 PM

can anybody tell if the rim is repairable from the pics or no?

robertrinaustin Jun 29, 2009 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Floyd is Pink (Post 7227377)
can anybody tell if the rim is repairable from the pics or no?

It's definitely repairable. It may not have the same strength as new, but it will look good.

Babs Jun 29, 2009 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by robertrinaustin (Post 7227396)
It's definitely repairable. It may not have the same strength as new, but it will look good.

how much does it generally cost to have it repaired? and will i have to worry about it failing on me? these are just daily driven rims and i have a set of dedicated track rims

yahu Jun 29, 2009 08:29 PM

It will be different. I know that I had a bad rim that they actually had to add material onto to fix, only in one location though, and it cost me $200 to fix/strip/re-powder coat. That is in WA.

I'm not sure from the pics but it looks like it is fairly uniform damage, which I think should be easy. They should not fail on you after repaired and if they do I would definitely follow-up with whichever shop thought they were good enough to go back out on the road.

derangedazn Jun 29, 2009 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Floyd is Pink (Post 7227368)
just went out and looked at the tire...it looks like there's a huge nail in it. this is a run-flat but it's also a thick ass nail...maybe this got in there, lost pressure, and the tire slipped off?

what should i do at this point?

Besides trying to repair/fi the rim and purchase NEW TIRE(S)

DO NOT EVER BUY TIRES WITH LESS THAN 75% TREAD IF YOU PLAN ON DD OR RACING. You were very lucky this was the only damage sustained.

2LOFD3ATH Jun 29, 2009 10:30 PM

Omgosh, talk to ur insurance........

asininedervish Jun 29, 2009 10:53 PM

sorry, it sucks man, but it really doesnt sound like the shops fault. i'd be surprised if you got anything from em.

vipers Jun 29, 2009 11:29 PM

odds are, if there is a nail in it...then what probubly happened is it lost alot of pressure, but being a run flat tire, thier sidewalls are stronger...but who knows how long the nail was in there... so odds are, you were running on the sidewall too long, and it gave out when you went around the turn and and like you said, it had been raining.. so rain probubly helped it slip right off......... i was in the tire business for 5 years...long enough to see some crazy **** happen...... so it doesnt suprise me at all..... the tire shop is 100% not responsible for what happened.. and you will be wasting your time trying to persue that the tire shop is at fault..becuase they arent.........

its very unfortunate that it happnee..those are gorgeous wheels... its a kick in the balls to see one get damaged, especially knowing the cost of those bad boys.....but good luck with getting it repaired, i hope they tell you good news that it will look almost as good as new... those wheel repair guys can do some miracles!

nightwalker Jun 29, 2009 11:47 PM

FIRST, you spent all your money on expensive rims, and didn't save any for tires. WTF??

SECONDLY, the tire failing was not the shops fault. It's not rocket science to install and inflate a tire, it's basic. If it wasn't done right, you wouldn't have been able to drive out of there.

Good Luck.

DSMorBUST Jun 29, 2009 11:59 PM

its your fault OP, not the shop. thas what you get for taking the cheap route..

Clutchdc5 Jun 30, 2009 12:12 AM

Ummm mag blue rims aren't chela gl

zspeedzkwy Jun 30, 2009 03:39 AM

From the pics, I think your tire used to have fix a flat in them. It's not very likely you get anything from a shop that sell USED tires. This kind of damage is normally covered by road hazard if you ever purchase them.

Like other said the chance of you getting anything is very slim, unless you get it from a big shop like goodyear or Just Tires. Since they tolerate and "value" bull**** more from customers.

Toxin Jun 30, 2009 04:39 AM

Actually considering you auto-xed and tracked the tires without problems and so on and they were mounted in february, I don't think you're entitled to anything from that company. Obviously if they did something wrong it would have shown ages ago.

Looking at it from the perspective of the shop you're going to, you'll show up there and say "remember me, back from february when you charged me 20$ for a tire change? Yea? Well I'd like you to refund me a 500$ wheel because After 5 months the tire fell off..." Dunno, I'd prolly send you to hell if I was the shop.

Originally Posted by nightwalker (Post 7228064)
FIRST, you spent all your money on expensive rims, and didn't save any for tires. WTF??

That too.

xtnct Jun 30, 2009 05:21 AM

Honestly, I don't think it has anything to do with the shop. You stated it was in Feb. You drove on it for over 3 months and went to 2 auto-x's. You installed old tires on the rim. Tire shop is not responsible for your used tire failure. If it was a mounting problem caused by the shop, your tire would be off the rim within a day of the mounting.

I think your old beat-up tire failed. It somehow lost pressure (and you didn't notice) and when you took your sharp turn @ 15mph, the tire just rolled off the rim. I'd search your tire for a nail, screw or other puncture. Maybe your valve leaked?

As someone else stated, this should be covered by your insurance.

Edit: That is s run-flat tire? Do you have a pressure monitoring system on it? If not, then you could have been driving on a flat tire for a while and not know it.

LV///R Jun 30, 2009 01:17 PM

What size tires and wheels are you running? Sorry if I already missed it.

justboosted02 Jun 30, 2009 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by xtnct (Post 7228326)

Edit: That is s run-flat tire? Do you have a pressure monitoring system on it? If not, then you could have been driving on a flat tire for a while and not know it.

exactly, im surprised the shop even mounted them for you without a monitoring system for this very reason

Babs Jun 30, 2009 05:30 PM

turns out there was a nail in it so i guess i'm boned on this

on the upside, the rim still holds air and is not bent so i remounted another tire and i've been driving around on it without a single issue. going out of town for a while but when i get back, i'm gonna see if someone can repair the lip

the wheels and tires were:
volk ce28n 18 x 9.0 +35
bridgestone potenza re050a 255/35/18

probably the last time i'm gonna buy run-flats for this very reason...i like to know if there's something wrong with my tire

AllydNYC Jul 1, 2009 01:20 AM

-snip-

double post fail

AllydNYC Jul 1, 2009 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Floyd is Pink (Post 7231178)
turns out there was a nail in it so i guess i'm boned on this

on the upside, the rim still holds air and is not bent so i remounted another tire and i've been driving around on it without a single issue. going out of town for a while but when i get back, i'm gonna see if someone can repair the lip

the wheels and tires were:
volk ce28n 18 x 9.0 +35
bridgestone potenza re050a 255/35/18

probably the last time i'm gonna buy run-flats for this very reason...i like to know if there's something wrong with my tire

lol, so you were driving on a "flat" for a while and didn't notice and performace decrease and no dragging one way?

xtnct Jul 1, 2009 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by AllydNYC (Post 7232409)
lol, so you were driving on a "flat" for a while and didn't notice and performace decrease and no dragging one way?

That would be correct for a run-flat. You will not notice something is wrong in regular putting around - that is the point of a run-flat tire. That is why you need that tire pressure monitoring system and why one should not run a run-flat tire without it.

The OP obviously noticed a performance decrease....his tire rolled off the rim! I would call that a rather significant performance decrease ;)

SHhhhh Jul 1, 2009 03:04 PM

Fourniers Performance in Orlando fixed a wheel for me last year (407-898-8002). They can definitely get it straight for you. I don't know about the paint though. You may have to get a body shop match the paint.

And like above, run-flat tires should only be used with proper tire monitoring system. They are only supposed to be used without sufficient air pressure for a short period of time and speed. Usually 50 miles at 55 mph, enough to get you to a tire store for a replacement.