EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension-23/)
-   -   CBRDs Best street coilover... (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension/463669-cbrds-best-street-coilover.html)

CBRD Dec 15, 2009 02:29 PM

CBRDs Best street coilover...

So,

With our motorsport background (alms, grand-am, star mazda, SCCA, etc).. I've been involved in alot of suspension development, testing, utilization etc...

We currently work with Moton, JRZ, AST, KW, Ohlins, etc etc... depending on the application...

and I had an elightening moment recently when I decided I truly feel THE best street coilover kit is the H&R coilover kit. We have done alot with HR in the past when we did german cars... I had 3 sets of them on my S4 (one set custom made).. and was always quite pleased... I did have my criticism of their VW kits, but generally on porsche/audi they worked excellent..

the are TUV approved (think ISO cert. for europe)... and have fantastic construction.

We have a good clients car here at the shop with them on (a 2.3 liter car, forgeline wheels, etc etc)...

the ride quality is fantastic... they use the stock top's, so they dont make noise... the ride is controlled but firm.... just a very nice kit..

just a tid bit of info from CBRD.... as we are very passionate about suspension tuning.

cheers

cb

Smike Dec 15, 2009 04:14 PM

I am running the H&R's on my SVT Focus. Really impressed with them also.

Their spring rates are good on the Focus, but last time I saw their Evo fitment, their rates needed some adjusting for the car.

Dampening is spot-on though on my car. Very nice to drive and I have a half dozen AXs on these with all-season tires. Worked great on the courses. I know this car has seen track days (since I raced a few times on the same day), very good all around.

CleverUserName Dec 15, 2009 04:25 PM

chadwick - what spring rates?

Will Urlacher Dec 15, 2009 04:30 PM

I took Chads advise about the HR coilovers for my 06 STI and loved them.

Wonder what they would be like on a 135i :fire:

boostedwrx Dec 15, 2009 04:37 PM

So you'd take these over some DFVs??

Kracka Dec 15, 2009 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by boostedwrx (Post 7802840)
So you'd take these over some DFVs??

Best generally doesn't mean 2nd place ;)

chu Dec 15, 2009 06:12 PM

Have H&R springs on my 1996 Camry. But Chad, telling people you like H&R without technical reasons mean nothing. Given your background, you've probably only riden on very expensive stuff, while most of us generally have less then $2000 in suspension, in total. A set of JRZ for the Evo easily starts at $4k. Less see some technical info...are you hinting at a H&R/CBRD lineup in the near future?

dbsears Dec 15, 2009 06:22 PM

Well having CBRD spec Ohlins DFV's myself I sure know how good those are. I am sure Chad means those H&R's are good at their price point. The Ohlins DFV's cost almost double...but it's advantages are quite apparent given how they ride with higher spring rates, the valving, and how they perform at the track. My only gripe would be that they need more droop travel. I am curious to hear more on these H&R's though.

CBRD Dec 16, 2009 06:23 AM

Hey guys,

the HR's are around 1700 bucks I believe (sometimes less depending on supply)..

I LOVE the ride quality... its very controlled, and I think for the street, the rates and damping feel excellent.....

There is a new DFV (road and track line) available now.... I love the DFV stuff......

I honestly dont have the rates on hand, I had them about 2-3 years ago when I first used them... I dont put much weight into the spring rates unless I really have good shock data to go along with the spring rates..... for instance, we run 1000lbs (not kg) springs on the TA cars... and I would never run them on a KW or other kit.

If I had to buy a coilover under 2000.00 for street use/comfort I would buy these..... We have run KW v3's (nice adjustability, but the valving leaves a bit to be desired)..... the ohlins are awesome for the street and track use (but pricier).... etc etc.....

JRZ/Moton are obviously very pricey....we just put in motion a new forthgoing relationship with JRZ because of their support and availability to do testing with us.... so more one on one development support.... So I'm going to start using more of their RS line too....

Anyway,

just wanted to let you guys know, if you are in the market for a nice cost effective EXCELLENT riding street coilover.... these should be deeply considered.

cb

TURBevO8 May 22, 2010 07:28 AM

Did a lot of reading on these. Seems everyone w/ VW, Hondas, Audis, Porsches, BMWs, etc., etc. loves them. Wonder why more EVO guys don't run them?

Might get a set of these and the Whiteline roll center kit here soon. The GF210s have worn out thier welcome. :D

Ludikraut May 23, 2010 07:45 AM

Chad, how would you compare the H&R coilovers to a Bilstein/Swift Spec-R combo?

l8r)

Smike May 23, 2010 08:04 AM

Still would like to see their Evo rates.

TURBevO8 May 23, 2010 09:06 AM

I'll see if I can find the rates and post up. :)

metalsaber May 24, 2010 12:20 PM

Chad, PM sent regarding the Öhlins R&T Coilover Suspension. (here and here)

Wanted to get your thoughts on these if you've had any experience. Car would be 85% street with 15% autox and road track. Trying to figure out a spring rate that would be best for me. I'd like to maintain as much factory ride ability as possible but offer better performance over the stock system.

chu May 24, 2010 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by metalsaber (Post 8337430)
Chad, PM sent regarding the Öhlins R&T Coilover Suspension. (here and here)

Wanted to get your thoughts on these if you've had any experience. Car would be 85% street with 15% autox and road track. Trying to figure out a spring rate that would be best for me. I'd like to maintain as much factory ride ability as possible but offer better performance over the stock system.

What you're really saying is you want to stay on a shock and spring combo! {thumbup}