EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension-23/)
-   -   What coil overs? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension/600285-what-coil-overs.html)

EvoIIIAj Feb 27, 2012 06:08 PM

What coil overs?

Hello all,

Searched around but didn't find what I wanted so I'm posting here. I have a JDM Evo VIII that I drive maybe 3 times for the week at most. I do Time Attack once a month with the car and I really need a set of coil overs. The car was originally bought with more drag strip time in mind, but our local track has been closed down and it doesn't look like anything is going to open up anytime soon.

I still would like a nice comfortable suspension on the street that I will be able to utilize in Time Attack and possibly Drag (whenever that would be). I originally wanted to get a set of D2's but not sure.. Any suggestions?

sujinX Feb 27, 2012 08:34 PM

ohlins dfv r/t they are VERY nice on the street and pretty good on the track. its one of the coilovers that dont sacrifice street comfort for performance. i'm running them and love them. altho the spring rates were a tad soft i had to up the rates a bit and they are still soft.

others have very good success with AST 4100's they eventually cost about the same, close to 3k. since the ast u need camber plates, springs, etc.

i guess this depends on your budget, but when i was in your position those were the 2 i was debating on. i only sided with the ohlins because of the deal i found. otherwise it would have definitely been AST 4100's by a slight margin.

EvoIIIAj Feb 27, 2012 08:39 PM

Thanks... Our Time Attack here isn't all that compared to other places etc. I'm more on a budget for right now, was reading up on Megan ones.

Yesterday in Time Attack I did pretty good with the lowering springs on my car now.

EvoIIIAj Feb 27, 2012 08:56 PM

This is why I want some coil overs lol:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...A/773993b8.jpg

codgi Feb 27, 2012 10:18 PM

^^ truthfully with some stiffer springs you could help that a lot without coilovers. Given that it won't track much and you need comfort the Bilstein PSS9s won't break the bank and will work for what you need. If you go lower than that they aren't comfortable on the street or they won't work at the track you won't find both.

EvoIIIAj Mar 24, 2012 06:35 PM

I went with Fortune Auto 500's. Waiting for them to reach!

Smike Mar 25, 2012 06:39 AM

If you want cheap coil-overs expect cheap performance.

ASTs, Ohlins, KW3s...look for used if you cannot afford to play in the series you race in.

Life is tough. Pay to play (if you want to win).

tsidrift1 Mar 25, 2012 07:11 AM

Theres no doubt, that budget coilovers may not be the absolute best. Although, I think for most guys that drive their cars on the streets, occasional track, and want some adjustability, there are some good options. I am on Bc racing coilovers now and have no complaints really. They are a tad stiff, which is why I am kinda opting for a bilstein/swift combo again for a slightly softer ride, but they are great coilovers imo.

EvoIIIAj Mar 27, 2012 04:27 PM

Fortune Auto 500's considered cheap? The price may be, but the quality looks good? We'll see when I get them I guess! Will be better than my tein lowering springs that's for sure!

mouseIX Mar 27, 2012 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by evoiiiaj (Post 10063098)
will be better than my tein lowering springs that's for sure!

amen!!!

chu Mar 27, 2012 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by EvoIIIAj (Post 10063098)
Fortune Auto 500's considered cheap? The price may be, but the quality looks good? We'll see when I get them I guess! Will be better than my tein lowering springs that's for sure!

Fortune was a big hit a year or two ago because of the price. But of course, everyone who posted reviews only had them for a few weeks of dd. No extensive reviews were posted after that, and no track use were reported. They may be good, but the reviews are limited to support the company's claims.

EvoIIIAj Mar 27, 2012 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by chu (Post 10063214)
Fortune was a big hit a year or two ago because of the price. But of course, everyone who posted reviews only had them for a few weeks of dd. No extensive reviews were posted after that, and no track use were reported. They may be good, but the reviews are limited to support the company's claims.

I see, makes sense! I'll be doing a monthly Time Attack with them, nothing too serious. Courses are like 30 seconds to a minute long.

gotpsi? Mar 27, 2012 05:36 PM

+2 for Ohlins.

chu Mar 27, 2012 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by EvoIIIAj (Post 10063228)
I see, makes sense! I'll be doing a monthly Time Attack with them, nothing too serious. Courses are like 30 seconds to a minute long.

Those are some small courses! :lol:

FWIW, I'm running a really old set of Ohlins PCV that was built per Paul Gerrard/Vishnu specs. They have been great after a few years of use, with the exception of the spherical bearings showing signs of deterioration, but that's an easy fix. I cant really say anymore than knowing I can get the Ohlins serviced by many places in the country. With the amount of products on the markets these days, serviceability is what buyers should really be looking into. I don't think its very easy to get a lower-end products serviced from what I've seen.

mouseIX Mar 27, 2012 07:22 PM

By "time attack" do you mean autox?