EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension-23/)
-   -   Outer tie rod ends (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension/638285-outer-tie-rod-ends.html)

05evoGSR Dec 3, 2012 09:37 AM

Outer tie rod ends

My outer tie rod ends are bad and since it is an easy job I decided to change them myself. Called my local Autozone and they said they had them in stock, Duralast part #ES3704 for $15.99 a piece. So I go pick them up and of course, they don't fit. The OEM ones on my 2005 Evo are 14mm and the ones they gave me were 12mm. Not sure why their system shows this will fit my car. Next I called Advanced Auto and they carry Moog which is also part # ES3704 and says it will fit an Evo but they are also 12mm. Last option is Napa, they show they have the part too which is made by Affini (part # 2693310) but this is also 12mm! Why does every parts store show 12mm tie rod ends will fit the Evo when the rod is a 14mm thread? I hate going to the Mitsubishi deal for parts since you usually pay double for the same product but they are the only ones who have 14mm.

I have seen several threads on here saying people are using Moog and Napa tie rod ends but what are the part numbers? This simple task has turned into a huge headache. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Bassicfun Dec 3, 2012 12:42 PM

I had the same issue here in Ohio... All of those places do not differentiate between the lancer and EVO on this particular part.. I gave up when I saw they all use the same backend parts firment service. OEM are about $35 or less, I went that way, that isn't a part you want to have fail on you.

triple L Dec 3, 2012 01:21 PM

if you want to take chances... this part is from taiwan

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-OUTER-TIE-...93726f&vxp=mtr

05evoGSR Dec 3, 2012 01:43 PM

The stealership by me had 1 in stock and can have another one by Wednesday at $50 each. Guess i will just go this route. Sucks that nobody makes a replacement end.

For anyone thinking they have a bad tie rod end, here are the symptoms:

- Front tires wearing unevenly
- Slight banging felt through the floor boards and steering wheel while driving in a straight line.
- Shaking in the steering wheel while coming to a stop and while driving in a straight line.
- Chopping the steering wheel back and forth while stopped you will hear a clunking.

If you jack your front end up off the ground and find there is any play in either front wheel you probably have a bad inner or outer tie rod. Just go straight to the dealer for the part, don't waste your time at other parts stores.

Bassicfun Dec 3, 2012 02:05 PM

Why pay full dealership price.. Support the OEM discounters on here....

xRoguex Dec 3, 2012 02:19 PM

hell with all that -- whiteline!

CurseDSM Dec 3, 2012 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by xRoguex (Post 10538230)
hell with all that -- whiteline!

I agree with that specially if you intend to lower the car any and or coilovers on it.

black-dsm Dec 3, 2012 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by 05evoGSR (Post 10537744)
My outer tie rod ends are bad and since it is an easy job I decided to change them myself. Called my local Autozone and they said they had them in stock, Duralast part #ES3704 for $15.99 a piece. So I go pick them up and of course, they don't fit. The OEM ones on my 2005 Evo are 14mm and the ones they gave me were 12mm. Not sure why their system shows this will fit my car. Next I called Advanced Auto and they carry Moog which is also part # ES3704 and says it will fit an Evo but they are also 12mm. Last option is Napa, they show they have the part too which is made by Affini (part # 2693310) but this is also 12mm! Why does every parts store show 12mm tie rod ends will fit the Evo when the rod is a 14mm thread? I hate going to the Mitsubishi deal for parts since you usually pay double for the same product but they are the only ones who have 14mm.

I have seen several threads on here saying people are using Moog and Napa tie rod ends but what are the part numbers? This simple task has turned into a huge headache. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

I feel your pain, I went through the same problem a couple months ago. I placed an order with Rock auto and it didnt fit. So I went to my local Autozone and the same thing happened. So I had the guy there if I he had one for the Evo X and he said yes and guess what, it was 14mm. I brought the bad outer tie rod end with me to Autozone and it was exatcly the same when I compared it with the one they had for the Evo X. Get one for an Evo X if you want to buy them from Autozone. Hope this helps:thumbup:

05evoGSR Dec 4, 2012 11:27 AM

Thanks for the info black-dsm. I installed the one from Mitsu last night since I couldn't wait and had to get my car back on the road. Came to $54 after tax from them so i guess not that bad. How much is the Duralast for the X from Vatozone?

GhostAWD Oct 28, 2013 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by black-dsm (Post 10538463)
I feel your pain, I went through the same problem a couple months ago. I placed an order with Rock auto and it didnt fit. So I went to my local Autozone and the same thing happened. So I had the guy there if I he had one for the Evo X and he said yes and guess what, it was 14mm. I brought the bad outer tie rod end with me to Autozone and it was exatcly the same when I compared it with the one they had for the Evo X. Get one for an Evo X if you want to buy them from Autozone. Hope this helps:thumbup:

I really wish I would have seen this post in my searches before going to 7 different parts stores with a busted Evo 8 Outer tie rod only to find out they are ALL 12mm when they should be 14mm. It really pissed me off that they all listed them specifically for an EVO & not Lancer & still didnt fit.

Personally, I went with a Dealer replacement as I dont trust the aftermarket places that have all gotten something so simple wrong. The fact that I would need to buy a tie rod end from a newer car just to get this right doesnt really sit well when failure of such an inexpensive part can literally Injure/kill you..

barneyb Oct 28, 2013 08:45 PM

Why does every parts store show 12mm tie rod ends will fit the Evo when the rod is a 14mm thread?

Once the wrong part gets into the computer you are screwed at every store. Then the replacement part maker says there's no demand for this part so drop it from our line.

hatesposers Oct 29, 2013 12:32 AM

Advanced auto parts so far is the only place I have used that differentiates between the base lancer and the Evo. I just got a set of inner tie rod ends from them for the evo, and they are the correct 14 x 1.5 thread pitch.

cficare68 May 5, 2015 03:33 PM

I can confirm that the evo x durlast outer tie rod part number ES800471 will in fact work prefectly on an evo 8/9. Just installed one on my 04 Evo 8 and it was a direct fit.

tmaddox Apr 18, 2017 05:07 PM

My alignment and tire shop I trust told me I had a bad original one, and they replaced with NAPA 2693310 on my 2005 Evo 8 They never said anything about the threads being different. It worked fine.

UPDATE Napa lists two for "Lancer" you have to drill down to submodel to find the right one- read NAPA's specs carefully.

NAPA 2693300 is for "2003-2006 Lancer" and has a Rod End Thread of 14x1.5 (the female part the tie rod goes into) and a Stud Thread Size of 12x1.5 (the male part the nut goes on) This fits the Evo 8

UPDATE NAPA 2692795 is for "2002-2007 Lancer" and has a Rod End Thread of 12x1.5 (the female part the tie rod goes into) and a Stud Thread Size of 10x1.5 (the male part the nut goes on) This does NOT fit the Evo 8.

4G63_EVO Apr 18, 2017 05:15 PM

have them cross reference the oem part number