EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension-23/)
-   -   Best Vendor To Buy Ohlins? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension/747779-best-vendor-buy-ohlins.html)

yip Apr 4, 2018 11:51 AM

Best Vendor To Buy Ohlins?

Hi All,

Decided to buy a set of Ohlins for my 8 that I use primarily for track day club events as I have been consistent with going at least once a month if not more. I'mnNot racing competitively and from what I've read the Ohlins seem like the most favorable option for a car that sees some street driving. With that said where do you guys recommend purchasing from or through as it seems there a a lot of vendors that sell Ohlins?

Also, I currenty have the Ciro castor camber plates that I'm using with the stock struts/springs. Do you guys know if these will work with the Ohlins since I am assuming the Ohlins do not have castor adjustment?

heel2toe Apr 4, 2018 11:59 AM

Although I havent worked with them I believe Performance Shock will revalve for free on initial purchase if you opt to swap springs. Might be worth reaching out to see what they say and pricing out a set. If youre keeping them fairly basic then shop around as a lot of vendors sell them and you should be able to get them for a steal these days.

And to answer your other question about using the CDR plates, yes you will be fine; I currently have the same exact setup on my Ohlins. You will have to swap the entire plate assembly however not just the top portion as the spacing is slightly different. But they will fit fine.

yip Apr 4, 2018 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by heel2toe (Post 11813990)
Although I havent worked with them I believe Performance Shock will revalve for free on initial purchase if you opt to swap springs. Might be worth reaching out to see what they say and pricing out a set. If youre keeping them fairly basic then shop around as a lot of vendors sell them and you should be able to get them for a steal these days.

And to answer your other question about using the CDR plates, yes you will be fine; I currently have the same exact setup on my Ohlins. You will have to swap the entire plate assembly however not just the top portion as the spacing is slightly different. But they will fit fine.

Thank you for your response! I will give Performance Shock a call.

Any recommendations on a specific spring rate or just go with off the shelf setup?

heel2toe Apr 4, 2018 01:53 PM

Spring rates will depend on how much you can tolerate it on the road, what sort of tires youre running what you have for bars, aero and what kind of racing you plan to do as usually auto-x folks have much stiffer rates than track cars.

Personally I started off with 8K F/ 10k R so OEM springs but flipped. Then I put the 10k up front and but 650# springs for the rear. Then I sent mine into Ohlins for a revalve and put the 650# up front and bought 800# for the rear. The car feels good but I need shorter springs to aid in tire fitment so I might try a little more spring and see how the car feels.

MinusPrevious Apr 4, 2018 01:54 PM

Youre going to have consider changing the rates. If Im not mistaken Ohlins rates are not well suited for the EvO (i.e. 8k / 7k vs 7k / 8k as an example)

The rates will depend on how youre using the EvO (track, street only, race, etc). Im sure PS will walk you through whats right for your application

heel2toe Apr 4, 2018 02:14 PM

Joe- the OEM config for out the box Ohlins comes with 8K & 10K which is perfectly acceptable for a mix between street and track. Of course they are setup with the intent for the 10K to be in the front and 8K in the rear but most here flip the 10's to the rear.

Depending on how hardcore you want to get you can go from mild to spicy if that's what your heart desires :) Im told my Ohlins that they say the factory valving is good for +/- 4K. Of course for the best performance a revalve specific to your rates is the best case scenario.

MinusPrevious Apr 4, 2018 02:18 PM

I just remember hearing that Ohlins had the rates flip flopped (heavier up front vs rear)

I could be wrong. Im a Fortune Auto 510 guy as you may know

EDIT: Just checked MAP site https://www.maperformance.com/collec...7-8-9-mis-mi10

They show the following rates at: Front Spring Rate (100N/mm) / Rear Spring Rate (80N/mm)

heel2toe Apr 4, 2018 02:23 PM

Yep, you are correct they're flipped :)

And I know you're on Team Fortune Auto which I believe you speak highly of :beer:

yip Apr 4, 2018 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by heel2toe (Post 11814038)
Spring rates will depend on how much you can tolerate it on the road, what sort of tires youre running what you have for bars, aero and what kind of racing you plan to do as usually auto-x folks have much stiffer rates than track cars.

Personally I started off with 8K F/ 10k R so OEM springs but flipped. Then I put the 10k up front and but 650# springs for the rear. Then I sent mine into Ohlins for a revalve and put the 650# up front and bought 800# for the rear. The car feels good but I need shorter springs to aid in tire fitment so I might try a little more spring and see how the car feels.

The car rarely sees the street. Probably less than 1 day a month at most since I have other cars for daily driving. I'm running all the Cali road courses. Buttonwillow, SOW, Laguna, Fontana, Chuckwalla etc.... No Auto-X.

The car came with a Hotchkis rear sway bar. We are also running 17x 9.5 Enkei but wider track in the front at +18 and +38 rear.

yip Apr 4, 2018 02:31 PM

On another note what tires you guys running for road course? I've been through 3 sets of 255 RE71r's but my alignment shop is telling me that they are better for AutoX. I have consistently run my fastest times during the beginning to middle of my second session. Lap times after that seem to slowly get worse until the end of the day even as I get more comfortable with the track. I'm being advised to change suspension and learn how to manage tires better but to also move away from the Bridgestones.

MinusPrevious Apr 4, 2018 03:54 PM

^^^Im no tire expert, but always ran the Nitto NT05 255/40/17's

You really need a high dose of front camber (min -3) to maximize grip / wear

Originally Posted by heel2toe (Post 11814047)
Yep, you are correct they're flipped :)

And I know you're on Team Fortune Auto which I believe you speak highly of :beer:

Thanks for confirming Eric:beer:

yip Apr 4, 2018 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious (Post 11814060)
^^^Im no tire expert, but always ran the Nitto NT05 255/40/17's

You really need a high dose of front camber (min -3) to maximize grip / wear

Thanks for confirming Eric:beer:

I believe the front setting is 2.7 but I'm also getting extreme outside wear on the rear also. I've been rotating inside out every track day. I just looked up the NT05's and they are significantly cheaper than the RE71r's. About $40 less per tire which is big.

Ayoustin Apr 4, 2018 04:26 PM

You're definitely going to want a harder compound than an RE-71. The 71 is definitely geared towards short, fast runs more than extended hot lapping situations. Nitto NT05 or Hankook RS4 are both good options, if you feel like you can go for even more grip then you could jump up to an NT01.

RazorLab Apr 4, 2018 04:29 PM

Don't even bother with NT05, especially if you are coming from RE71R. If you are mainly tracking the car, NT01's are the standard. Good to the cords and they last on our heavy Evos.

This current set of mine have about five events on them and still a couple more to go easily.https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...56689071f2.jpg

MinusPrevious Apr 4, 2018 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by yip (Post 11814063)
I believe the front setting is 2.7 but I'm also getting extreme outside wear on the rear also. I've been rotating inside out every track day. I just looked up the NT05's and they are significantly cheaper than the RE71r's. About $40 less per tire which is big.

My bad on the tire spec. Typo:crap: / Ive run many sets of the NT01's on the track (ran the NT05's on the street)
Ran my car w/approx -2.7 & had the outside shoulder wear issue as well