EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension-23/)
-   -   EBC Pad users - Advise needed (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension/752890-ebc-pad-users-advise-needed.html)

Lumpy Sticks Jan 28, 2019 10:16 AM

EBC Pad users - Advise needed

Hey everyone. I have what should be a simple question for you all. I just installed EBC blue pads with Centric carbon rotors. As per EBCs recommendations, it says to just take it easy on the brakes for the first 1000 miles. They say do not bed them in the traditional way. This is my first set of EBC pads and that just seems odd to me. If the weather cooperates, I will have a track event this weekend and there is no way I will hit 1000 miles. I might be able to get up to 300 miles. Anyone have some experience with EBC and if so, how did you break your pads in? If I can only hit 300 miles before the track, do I bed them or just run them? Any input would be great!

BTW - So far these things squeal like none other. Hoping they quiet down after they are broken in.

LetsGetThisDone Jan 28, 2019 11:07 AM

Should be fine to just bed and run them. The blue don't come with their weird break in coating like the green/red/yellow compounds, they come scorched like a race pad..

Lumpy Sticks Jan 28, 2019 11:21 AM

Ya they didnt look like they had any coating on them. I will try to find a good spot to do some bedding runs and see how it goes. Hopefully they quiet down a bit.

C0dyix Jan 28, 2019 07:18 PM

I run EBC yellows and have for the last 2 sets of pads. I love them but they squeeling sound they make in the beginning is awful. The first 2 times id just get up to a decent speed and then get on the brakes a bit heavy and after a little they quited down

MinusPrevious Jan 28, 2019 07:52 PM

Hey Sean, their website showed a track bedding-in procedure

Lumpy Sticks Jan 28, 2019 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by C0dyix (Post 11858637)
I run EBC yellows and have for the last 2 sets of pads. I love them but they squeeling sound they make in the beginning is awful. The first 2 times id just get up to a decent speed and then get on the brakes a bit heavy and after a little they quited down

Glad I am not the only one complaining about the noise. It's honestly terrible. Bedding coming soon.

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious (Post 11858644)
Hey Sean, their website showed a track bedding-in procedure

Thank for the info Joe. I will take a look after I post this. Forecast keeps getting worse so I dont know how the track day is going to go. If it's raining, I probably wont go.

Lumpy Sticks Jan 28, 2019 09:39 PM

And what is says on the EBC site is completely different than the sheet that came in the box.... I'll go off what it says on the site.

Dallas J Jan 29, 2019 04:15 PM

Just FYI, unless they "fixed" the blue's they really suck for AX. They will chunk apart with heat. I had to take mine off and toss in the trash after a season. I initially pulled them cause they just didnt work well but found the chunking so had to toss them.

Lumpy Sticks Jan 29, 2019 04:55 PM

They will not be used for AX. I am going to get a different set for that. But if they couldnt hold up to AX, how are they going to do on the big track? Doesnt big track = more heat then AX?

Dallas J Jan 29, 2019 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Lumpy Sticks (Post 11858801)
They will not be used for AX. I am going to get a different set for that. But if they couldnt hold up to AX, how are they going to do on the big track? Doesnt big track = more heat then AX?

Yeah, definitely more abuse on track. They're probably fine for street driving but just a normal amount of AX made them start falling apart for me. And it was back when the car was my DD so pads were broken in on the street.

Lumpy Sticks Jan 29, 2019 10:01 PM

I have read, off the wonderful interwebz of all correct info, that the chunking of race pads occurs due to the fact that the pads dont get up to operating temps while in use. I have no idea if it's true. After these brakes are broken in, I plan on using both the pads and rotors only on track days. I will have a completely different set for street use. We will see what happens and if I run into the same issue as you.

rocknsnoboarder Jan 30, 2019 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Dallas J (Post 11858796)
Just FYI, unless they "fixed" the blue's they really suck for AX. They will chunk apart with heat. I had to take mine off and toss in the trash after a season. I initially pulled them cause they just didnt work well but found the chunking so had to toss them.

My old yellow's did the same thing. Ended up throwing them away.

Dallas J Jan 30, 2019 07:48 AM

I can tell you that the ST43s are my all time most and least favorite pad. Brake so hard, wear like iron, take all the heat I can throw at them, dust like crazy, squeal like a pig. So good/bad!

heel2toe Jan 30, 2019 08:16 AM

^Lol so true! On the street they'll make your ears bleed. I usually swap em out but thought I was tough after my rebuild and said whatever. 1 week later I swapped them. Like any track pad if youre not getting heat in them they will squeal and have a tendency to eat rotors.

CaptainSquirts Jan 30, 2019 09:19 AM

Hmmmm my ebc blue's are working fine. They do need a little slight bit to get warmed up though.