EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension-23/)
-   -   End Links to Stop Clunking (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension/753813-end-links-stop-clunking.html)

kyoo Apr 1, 2019 09:17 AM

End Links to Stop Clunking

I recently swapped in whiteline front and rear endlinks on the evo to stop some suspension clunking - primarily the front, but I decided to add the endlinks to the rear while I was at it. Now both front and rears are clunking - is there a tricky to setting these up to stop the clunks? Only happens in hard cornering, ie autox & track

CaptainSquirts Apr 2, 2019 05:02 AM

Make sure the locking nut and endlink connected to sway bar/arms are tight as well. I had the same problem and I had to use blue loctite or they would come loose.

kyoo Apr 2, 2019 06:14 AM

hmm i'll give it a shot i mean they felt pretty darn sturdy/not loose. couldn't get the nut off without zapping it off cuz it would spin, couldn't see where to put a wrench on teh other side to hold it

CaptainSquirts Apr 2, 2019 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by kyoo (Post 11866921)
hmm i'll give it a shot i mean they felt pretty darn sturdy/not loose. couldn't get the nut off without zapping it off cuz it would spin, couldn't see where to put a wrench on teh other side to hold it

Careful on tightening/loosening the endlinks with an impact. My threads got all jacked up after doing that a couple of times and I had to get replace the endlinks. I just used a vice grip on the balljoint and tightened it good with blue loctite.

I actually had to re tighten the front endlink(like a quarter of a turn) the other day, it cleared up a lot of the clunking.Still have very little clunking left, but that's because one of the endlink brackets(same aftermarket fsb bracket you have)is kinda hard to tighten since the clearance and I got lazy. Also another side note, I don't know if you took off and put back on the axle nut but my axle nut I didn't put the cotter pin back in and the nut had to be tightened an extra good quarter of a turn more and that also eliminated some clunking. But I guess the obvious which I'm sure you're aware of, check, pull/yank arms, tire/wheel or whatever to make sure nothing else has play.

Biggiesacks Apr 2, 2019 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts (Post 11866951)
Careful on tightening/loosening the endlinks with an impact. My threads got all jacked up after doing that a couple of times and I had to get replace the endlinks. I just used a vice grip on the balljoint and tightened it good with blue loctite.

I'll second that. This was my impact lesson.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...e64c1cc4f4.jpg

kyoo Apr 2, 2019 10:07 AM

got it - i'll have to figure a way out to hold the link still while i tighten, bizarre that WL's don't have like a flat on the back to hold it still

Biggiesacks Apr 2, 2019 10:18 AM

I happen to have a set waiting to go on the car. It's a 5mm, or at least thats the metric size that fits. It might be standard. While the instructions don't say it, the nuts kind of feel like the one time use types. So if they keep coming loose you might try replacing them.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...88d32ce973.jpg

kyoo Apr 18, 2019 09:03 AM

they're not loose, i've cranked them down a bit more, but it seems like they're still clunking. wtf? should i have another shop take a crack at tightening them down or what? they're pretty damn tight as it is, what more can i really do at this point?

CaptainSquirts Apr 18, 2019 12:21 PM

Is the sound coming from the endlinks?

kyoo Apr 18, 2019 12:24 PM

got worse when i added them so i assume so

kaj Apr 18, 2019 01:13 PM

If you had a sound and it got worse with new parts, I'd look elsewhere. Maybe the mounts that attach the bar to the car?

kyoo Apr 18, 2019 03:04 PM

not new parts, just new endlinks

kaj Apr 18, 2019 03:25 PM

Right.
Noise -> new end links -> even more noise = not the end links?
Maybe a part is making noise and wore out the old end links. Now that you have new end links, the noise is louder, for example.
Doesn't seem right the noise would get worse with new parts.. then to blame those parts.
Not sure I'm explaining what I mean, very well. :lol:

Apex Hunter Apr 23, 2019 08:48 AM

^I'm in agreement. If the noise existed prior to the new endlinks I would look elsewhere.

kyoo Apr 23, 2019 09:06 AM

so for example, the rear sway bar & endlinks were updated. The only change in the rear is the RSB & the endlinks. They didn't clunk, now they do. The old (aftermarket still) RSB and OEM endlinks didn't clunk.

So the only source of rear clunking is RSB itself or endlinks. I'll re-tighten the RSB mounts, otherwise it is the endlinks.