Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Evo X FPRed / 93 octane baseline

Old Mar 16, 2009, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X FPRed / 93 octane baseline

My FPRed is installed and tuned on 93 octane! Many thanks to MidniteEco for all of his work on the turbo install and Chris @ AMS for the tune :

361WHP 324WTQ (std)

edit: the car ran a 12.53 @ 113.86 like this after a very poor (on my part) 2.094 60'. 11s might be possible with a 1.7 60' and revving it higher (I shifted too short considering the power is higher up than it used to be).

Chris and I were both thinking the numbers would have been higher than they were, but it's still a big improvement (124whp over stock ) and it drives very well. I'm hoping others get some good pump gas numbers with the Red, but I think this turbo will always shine the most with a higher octane. My end goal is to be running E85 and cams, both of which should really wake it up.

Issues-
Boost spiked ~25psi, but tapered to under 20psi by redline. It also seems to be spooling later than other cars . Chris recommended trying a Forge WGA. I'm also getting compressor flutter in 4th and 5th gears when doing a street roll-on from 4000RPM. I also got a CEL after about 2 hours of driving which I believe was a P1235 code in 4th gear.

edit: after putting nearly 1000 miles on the turbo I went back to AMS today and had them tighten the stock WGA 2 turns. Didn't put it back on the dyno, but between that, Chris's tweaking on the steet, and the cooler weather, I noticed a substantial improvement in spool and power. He also adjusted load values which appears to have cleared up my P1235 CEL issue. What I was calling compressor surge, is more of a flutter than a violent surge. It's still there though, and we don't have a good explaination for why.

Current:
93 Octane tune
FPRed turbo (ported)
800cc injectors
AMS MBC
K&N cone
UR FMIC
UR UICP / LICP
UR HF metal cat
UR O2 downpipe
Buschur exhaust
ACT HDSS clutch

Future:
Kelford stage 2 cams / springs
E85 map
Fuel pump / surge system for E85
1000cc injectors

This is the first time this car has seen a dyno, so the blue lines are a bone stock X they ran previously:

Last edited by Tractionlimit; Apr 19, 2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

I dont get it, shouldn't you be up in the 400-450whp? why not bump that bad chicken up to 30psi?
Old Mar 17, 2009, 12:49 AM
Evolving Member

^^^^ because hes on pump not race or e85.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 12:50 AM
Evolving Member

Oh and by the way great numbers. Thats the setup i want.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 03:56 AM
Evolving Member

im running the fp red also i do not get compressor surge in 4 or 5 gear

i do how ever have a couple of dead spots through out my tune
like under a wot pull you can feel the car pull then let up then pull again and so on
and i did get a p1235 light the day after my tune but it was cause from me being in 5th gear going to pass a car without down shifting to 4th cause i was to low in rpm

other than that i like the turbo also i think mine just needs a little fine tunning
Old Mar 17, 2009, 05:09 AM
Evolved Member

Something sounds a bit off. Why is it tappering to 20 PSI? I am running a Red and even with stock cat back I am holding a solid 22 PSI all the way to 7500 RPM. I have NO compressor surge in 4th or 5th gears.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 05:28 AM
Evolving Member

Congrats Tractionlmit!

Now you'll have to let me ride in it this Thursday at wings
Old Mar 17, 2009, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Guru
Something sounds a bit off. Why is it tappering to 20 PSI? I am running a Red and even with stock cat back I am holding a solid 22 PSI all the way to 7500 RPM. I have NO compressor surge in 4th or 5th gears.
I was going to say, most people I know who have them are holding boost all the way to redline no problem, something seems strange. Also Black Track's FPred on that dyno put down damn near 500whp, wonder what else he was running to get so much higher...

Regardless nice numbers, I bet that thing feels awesome.

Last edited by murlo26; Mar 17, 2009 at 06:04 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 07:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Guru
The boost tapering no matter what I did and was not very receptive to tuning inputs.

The fact that you are holding more boost would be a result of the fact that you have a stock exhaust. Boost is a measurement of airflow that is not entering the motor.

This is the first FPred that has been done on pump gas on this dyno, so I'm not sure if this is directly representative of the way that these turbos run on our 93oct, or if there is another issue that is holding it back. I have a few theories...

Originally Posted by murlo26
I was going to say, most people I know who have them are holding boost all the way to redline no problem, something seems strange. Also Black Track's FPred on that dyno put down damn near 500whp, wonder what else he was running to get so much higher...

Regardless nice numbers, I bet that thing feels awesome.
Blacktrack was running 110oct and more boost, and his supporting parts were form another manufacturer (AMS). His car can take more timind and more boost because of the higher octane, and it makes much more power.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 07:54 AM

The new downpipe eliminates the exhaust outlet (was called the O2 housing on the 8/9). When installing it, I was curious about the shape of the openings and the way they line up to the hotside. I wonder if that may be causing turbulence and causing airflow issues.

I have to talk to TractionLimit about it yet, but maybe when we get a chance we'll pull the pipe off and take some photos to get some opinions.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm, now I am torn. I thought blacktrack's was on pump for some reason, doh. Maybe with meth and cam's I will be able to get close, I am looking to get 450whp area without going 35r laggyness, might just have to do 35r.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 02:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Just for fun, I went ahead and made the compairision between this car and the prototype 35R kit. If lag was your concern... I think this would a very fair compromise on pump gas. Keep in mind, there is going to be a 30R available as well, which should get us into the same ballpark as far as HP.

I'd venture to say that our 30R kit will spool almost identical to this car.

Old Mar 17, 2009, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

If that's the way the FPRed performs on 93...I would hate to see it on CA 91pisstane.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Although the numbers are good, haven't stock turbo cars post up greater numbers?
Old Mar 18, 2009, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

I put 453 awhp down with no cams, so yes you can get this power

Originally Posted by murlo26
Hmmm, now I am torn. I thought blacktrack's was on pump for some reason, doh. Maybe with meth and cam's I will be able to get close, I am looking to get 450whp area without going 35r laggyness, might just have to do 35r.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Evo X FPRed / 93 octane baseline