Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

2014 EVO X CA 91oct tune 330/339 with stock cat

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2015, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, guys,
Finally got my car tuned today.
My tuner is Rick@RRE.
I couldn't believe how much difference the tune made and I am a very happy customer.
After the tune, whenever I reach 3500rpm + , I can easily feel the car wants to fly. It simply wants to move!

Car :
2014 EVO X GSR

Mileage:
20669 miles

Power Mods:
AEM intake
Greddy Ti-C single exit
ETS 3" intercooler
ETS UICP
RRE 3 Port

I wanted to keep stock cat cuz I am a 1 setting for all kind of person. I felt it would be so much hassle to do smoke check down the road if I get hfc or test pipe.

Boost is 25 psi taper down to around 19, I think.

Here is the Dyno graph:

Unfortunately, I dont have a base dyno to compare.
I wanted to avoid installing parts at shop so I could save some labor cost, so the tune is for all the parts.

But again, I couldn't believe I could hit these numbers on CA **** gas with only a few mods.
Rick told me my car did very good. For cars with stock cat, they usually make 320 with similar mods. I did change my engine oil the day before tune, so that might make a difference :neener:

Rick also gave me a safer map.
He told me if I am racing or the weather is too hot, I could use the safer tune. The safer tune still doesn't disappoint, it made around 310/310.

Additional pictures:

I did notice some other changes after the tune:
1. The exhaust tone seems to be changed, I am not sure what happened, but it seems to be louder, maybe the cat was burnt during the dyno tune, so it made exhaust louder?
2. I am not sure why, but I could actually hear my BOV or maybe intake with my set up... It is not super loud, but if SSQV is 10/10 loud, my stock bov sounds like 3/10.
Is it because of the boost controller? Or is it because the car is tuned to accept more air? It was a nice sound. But I am just curious what makes this happen. I love the sound, and I can only hear it when window is down. But I always thought AEM intakes are quiet.

I also have a few questions:
I know high load + low rpm is a big nono and I am already avoid that. I know many ppl blew their tuned car because of this.
Is there any other bad driving habit I need to be aware of?
I usually just keep my rpm 3k + , the car feels healthier that way.

:godance:, overall, I am happy with the service I got.
Now I just need to replace some brake pads and get ready for track.
Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited by yifuqiao; Apr 10, 2015 at 06:47 PM.
Old May 8, 2015, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by yifuqiao
Hey, guys,
My tuner is Rick@RRE.
I couldn't believe how much difference the tune made and I am a very happy customer.
After the tune, whenever I reach 3500rpm + , I can easily feel the car wants to fly. It simply wants to move!

Car :
2014 EVO X GSR

Mileage:
20669 miles

Power Mods:
AEM intake
Greddy Ti-C single exit
ETS 3" intercooler
ETS UICP
RRE 3 Port

I wanted to keep stock cat cuz I am a 1 setting for all kind of person. I felt it would be so much hassle to do smoke check down the road if I get hfc or test pipe.

Here is the Dyno graph:

I wanted to avoid installing parts at shop so I could save some labor cost, so the tune is for all the parts.

But again, I couldn't believe I could hit these numbers on CA **** gas with only a few mods.
Rick told me my car did very good. For cars with stock cat, they usually make 320 with similar mods. I did change my engine oil the day before tune, so that might make a difference :neener:

He told me if I am racing or the weather is too hot, I could use the safer tune. The safer tune still doesn't disappoint, it made around 310/310.

Additional pictures:

1. The exhaust tone seems to be changed, I am not sure what happened, but it seems to be louder, maybe the cat was burnt during the dyno tune, so it made exhaust louder?
2. I am not sure why, but I could actually hear my BOV or maybe intake with my set up... It is not super loud, but if SSQV is 10/10 loud, my stock bov sounds like 3/10.
Is it because of the boost controller? Or is it because the car is tuned to accept more air? It was a nice sound. But I am just curious what makes this happen. I love the sound, and I can only hear it when window is down. But I always thought AEM intakes are quiet.

I know high load + low rpm is a big nono and I am already avoid that. I know many ppl blew their tuned car because of this.

Did you have to have a wideband? Or would you have achieved better results with one?

Also what is the High Load Low RPM thing you are talking about? Could you blow your engine up at ~2100RPM in 5th gear?
Old May 12, 2015, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by UltimatePB
Did you have to have a wideband? Or would you have achieved better results with one?

Also what is the High Load Low RPM thing you are talking about? Could you blow your engine up at ~2100RPM in 5th gear?
If you're just cruising I think its fine or slowly moving up in the rpm range, just don't be in 5th gear at a low RPM and floor it.
Old May 12, 2015, 05:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, great numbers!
Old May 14, 2015, 07:38 AM

Wow! Looking to have a similar setup on my car in the future. It's nice to see what my car could be running
Old Jul 7, 2015, 09:35 AM

Hey, guys,
My tuner is Rick@RRE.

Car :
2014 EVO X GSR

Mileage:
20669 miles

Power Mods:
AEM intake
Greddy Ti-C single exit
ETS 3" intercooler
ETS UICP
RRE 3 Port

Here is the Dyno graph:

Additional pictures:

Great! Do you notice any change in mpg? And for others, does the tune actually change the engine/turbo/exhaust sounds? Seems like it does??? Can someone verify?
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:21 AM

I get 23 mpg during dd consistently. I used to get around 20mpg before the tune.
So I would say tune improve mpg a lot.
As far as sound, I think It did change the sound slightly...
I don't think it should, but when I drove the car again after it was tuned, i heard it sounded a lot different.
It could be that some parts are finally broken in during the dyno tune, it was a lot of red line pull.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 08:52 AM

I get 23 mpg during dd consistently. I used to get around 20mpg before the tune.
So I would say tune improve mpg a lot.
As far as sound, I think It did change the sound slightly...
I don't think it should, but when I drove the car again after it was tuned, i heard it sounded a lot different.
It could be that some parts are finally broken in during the dyno tune, it was a lot of red line pull.

This is awesome! 15% difference in gas mileage, plus it sounds better overall.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 01:58 AM

Nice numbers!
Old Oct 4, 2015, 02:40 PM

damn way better than sti