Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Video - 2014 GSR w/ 18K at Boostin Performance (w/ Interviews!)

Old Sep 5, 2017, 12:04 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Video - 2014 GSR w/ MHI 18K at Boostin Performance (w/ Interviews!)

A little over a week ago we took my 2014 GSR to Boostin Performance for a bit of dyno time. Devin and his team were nice enough to let me bring my camera crew and took some time to talk with me about the shop, their philosophy and tuning cars.

Current mods are:

MHI-18K Turbo
AEM 320lph Fuel Pump
ID 1300cc Stainless Injectors
Cobb Boost Solenoid
FP Turbo Feed Line
Cobb BPV
Cobb Turbo Inlet
AEM FMIC and Hard Pipe Kit
AEM Intake (modified to fit the larger turbo inlet)
Cobb Turboback (catted midpipe - we've got emissions out here)
Exedy Twin Disc
AMS CMC
Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers
AEM Strut Tower Bar
Eibach Antiroll kit
Optima Redtop
Enkei RPF1 18x9.5 +15
Falken FK510 265/35-18

Up to this point I'd been running the Cobb OTS Stage 4 MAP via AP3 with the load tables and MAF scaling adjusted for the AEM piping. The car was running very well with great drivability and was a huge improvement over stock, though it did seem a little rich. While I don't daily the car, I do drive it whenever it's nice and it spends 99% of it's time on the street (1 or 2 road courses a year). Maximum reliability and drivability were my chief concerns.

Having heard such good things about the work Devin and his team do, it was time to see how well the car was really doing and if there were some additional gains to be realized. My knock sum was never over 1.0 and the wideband seemed like it always stayed in a safe range. Max boost was around 27, though more often than not it was around 26 according to my gauge recall and the AP3.

So first off, all the great things I'd heard about Boostin Performance were absolutely true. The whole team there is incredibly professional, super polite and genuinely cares about their customers and their cars. I immediately felt at home with these guys; it's a very "family" environment. The shop is spotless and you can see how much pride they take in the work that they do. If you're anywhere near Chicago, I can't recommend them enough. These guys truly give a s#$%.

If you read this far, I highly recommend checking out the video to see the whole thing. Otherwise, there's spoilers below.

The TL;DR is stock a Evo X GSR makes around 200whp on their dyno. We made (drumroll) 354whp at 27 PSI on 93 octane. A 77% increase over stock on a totally safe, streetable tune made me super happy. It was a nice pickup over the OTS map as well. Here's a screencap of the final difference between the OTS and where we finished up:

Last edited by joseph_mills; Sep 5, 2017 at 12:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Boostin Perform (Sep 8, 2017)
Old Sep 7, 2017, 06:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
It was great having you and your crew come by! Thanks so much for everything. If you need anything for Project Evo in the future, please don't hesitate to contact us!
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive watched the video before and enjoyed them, do you plan on making any track events videos?
Old Sep 7, 2017, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by WWGSR
Ive watched the video before and enjoyed them, do you plan on making any track events videos?
That’s definitely the plan. I’ve got to put my new brakes on (probably another video on that) and hopefully we can get a decent one in before the weather turns on us. Been talking with the Autobahn folks; maybe we end up making a day of it.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
fp oil line feed was upgraded cause?
and is it mustang dyno?
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by godlikelol
fp oil line feed was upgraded cause?
and is it mustang dyno?
Oil feed line came with the kit; from what I understand the stock line doesn’t support enough oil pressure for the upgraded turbo, or something to that effect. The 4B11 puts the oil feed in a different spot than the 4g’s did.

And yeah, Mustang dyno. Stock cars do 200-220 with the way theirs is calibrated (they have Mustang do all the calibrations). It’s a bit of a pessimistic dyno =)
Old Sep 8, 2017, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put down very similar numbers on their dyno with basically the same setup on 93. If you ever decide to go E85, I'm putting down 418 to the wheels on their tune.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by ChiLAX
I put down very similar numbers on their dyno with basically the same setup on 93. If you ever decide to go E85, I'm putting down 418 to the wheels on their tune.
Nice! It’s unfortunate as while I live out in the middle of cornfields, there’s not a gas station with E85 close to me. With the tiny fuel tank, I would basically burn 1/3 of the fuel by the time I got home. I may end up going flex fuel at some point, particularly if I had better local access.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 10:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
what does the car weigh? and i was pretty sure it was mustang and thanks for clarifying.
i wonder where you got your kit from because if i order from FP its a optional thing and from what ive seen its not a needed line but i think i would upgrade just to say **** it lol and go all FP.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by godlikelol
what does the car weigh? and i was pretty sure it was mustang and thanks for clarifying.
i wonder where you got your kit from because if i order from FP its a optional thing and from what ive seen its not a needed line but i think i would upgrade just to say **** it lol and go all FP.
It’s stock weight. If I remember correctly from when we did the corner balancing, it was right at 3500 or so.

I got the kit through Cobb Tuning, basically their Stage 4 package minus the intercooler, hard pipes and intake (all of which I had gotten earlier through AEM):

https://www.cobbtuning.com/products/...ad-tip-exhaust

With that said, the turbo swap was reasonably involved and the line wasn’t a ton of money. If you’re going to go through all the work, might at well put the line on while you’re in there. If it buys me any more time between the next swap, it was totally worth it.