MAP Cast V-Band Turbo Kit - PTE5858 - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

MAP Cast V-Band Turbo Kit - PTE5858

Reply

 
 
 
Old Oct 24, 2017, 04:20 PM
  #1  
EvoM Guru
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
razorlab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Alameda, ca
Posts: 11,041
Thanked 223 Times in 197 Posts
MAP Cast V-Band Turbo Kit - PTE5858

This is a long time coming and frankly I could have probably waited longer but at this point I feel like this has taken way too long already.

I picked up a MAP Cast V-band turbo kit back in November 2016. I was also going through a motor build at the same time and long story short is that the motor build took forever and it took until August of this year to get my car back in my driveway.

Since then I've had a bunch of little issues that I have had to deal with to get the car working correctly overall. Nothing to do with the turbo kit and every thing to do with the build. I'm still working through some issues but I didn't want to continue waiting to make this thread.

If you want to follow my build thread, take a look here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/pr...e-build-s.html

So here are the specs of everything:

MAP cast v-band Turbo kit:
PTE5858 turbo v-band in/out and .82 stainless steel exhaust housing
MAP stainless cast v-band exhaust manifold
MAP downpipe non-dumptube version
Turbosmart 14psi external wastegate
Depo aluminum upper intercooler pipe (used in place of kit SS pipe)
MAP intake custom wrinkle black plus added -10AN and -6AN breather fittings
AEM 7.5” x 5.125 air filter (upgrade from kit filter)

Since I track the car I also had custom inconel heat shields made for the exhaust manifold, turbocharger and downpipe. They are a work of art and worth every penny. See photos at the bottom of this thread.

RED Darton sleeved block
Carrillo Pro-H Rods
CP 86.5mm 10:1 CR pistons
CP 9310 upgraded wrist pins
OEM crank
MAP high capacity oil pan (+1.5qt)
MAP oil cooler kit
Kelford 214-b cams
Kelford valve springs
Driven Fab billet mivec exhaust housing
Supertech stock size intake / exhaust valves
GSC viton valve stem seals
GSC manganese valve guides
ARP head studs
AGP 3.5” intercooler
OEM lower intercooler pipe
Tial QRJ bov 1.5psi spring
Grimmspeed 3port
Turbohoses.com -3AN SS vacuum lines (Wastegate, turbo, BCS)
Magnaflow 3” catback (added Vibrant mini muffler in mid pipe)
Ultimate racing mini muffler test pipe
Mighty Mouse sealed catch can breather setup
ID 1300cc injectors
Radium fuel pump hanger (Walbro 255 fuel pump)
Radium surge tank (Walbro 450 fuel pump)
Blueflex Flex Fuel ECA
Easy Performance fuel pump controller (0-5v MAP reference)
Custom inline SS fuel filter
ACT HDSS clutch

-----------------------------------------

UPDATE 111917

Okay, I'm done with the high boost mapping of the car. It's dropping fuel pressure anyway. I added more timing up top and held the boost a bit more and this is what it gave me.

Pretty darn pleased with that for a PT5858 .82



UPDATE 110417

Worked out most of the kinks on the build now.

This is at 27psi, E82 and 5-13* timing. I think I am going to keep it here for a bit.. it's a bit crazy.



Current power...

Caveat, this is low timing and low boost. I'm still working through the issues the build has had and still working through the tuning.

That said, I think it's making phenomenal power for the low boost and low timing I'm currently running. I have no doubt this setup will make over 600whp easily and I will update this thread when that hopefully happens. It's hard to tell from this single gear pull but the turbo is more responsive on the street than I ever imagined it would be.

Other caveat, I maxed out my ID1300s and have ordered a set of ID1700s.

Blue plots are a break-in pull at 19-20 psi.
Red plots are current tune, maxed out ID1300s and 25-24psi.
E79 fuel



Here is the datalog of the above: https://datazap.me/u/razorlab/rcwots...zoom=1110-1556

The kit overall is well made. I had some small fitment issues at the beginning but got everything working. The cast manifold is a tank and I have no doubts it will last longer than the car.

Photos:

Engine bay









Living in California. I worked hard to hide all the catch can breather lines



With the engine cover on you can't even tell the car has a catch can and the can itself is hidden under the intake



Some photos of the custom inconel heat shielding










Last edited by razorlab; Nov 19, 2017 at 06:29 PM.
razorlab is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to razorlab For This Useful Post:
alpinaturbo (Nov 3, 2017)
Old Oct 28, 2017, 03:32 PM
  #2  
Evolved Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Tri-State NY/NJ/CT
Posts: 1,002
Thanked 26 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab View Post
This is a long time coming and frankly I could have probably waited longer but at this point I feel like this has taken way too long already.

I picked up a MAP Cast V-band turbo kit back in November 2016. I was also going through a motor build at the same time and long story short is that the motor build took forever and it took until August of this year to get my car back in my driveway.

Since then I've had a bunch of little issues that I have had to deal with to get the car working correctly overall. Nothing to do with the turbo kit and every thing to do with the build. I'm still working through some issues but I didn't want to continue waiting to make this thread.

If you want to follow my build thread, take a look here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/pr...e-build-s.html

So here are the specs of everything:

MAP cast v-band Turbo kit:
PTE5858 turbo v-band in/out and .82 stainless steel exhaust housing
MAP stainless cast v-band exhaust manifold
MAP downpipe non-dumptube version
Turbosmart 14psi external wastegate
Depo aluminum upper intercooler pipe (used in place of kit SS pipe)
MAP intake custom wrinkle black plus added -10AN and -6AN breather fittings
AEM 7.5 x 5.125 air filter (upgrade from kit filter)

Since I track the car I also had custom inconel heat shields made for the exhaust manifold, turbocharger and downpipe. They are a work of art and worth every penny. See photos at the bottom of this thread.

RED Darton sleeved block
Carrillo Pro-H Rods
CP 86.5mm 10:1 CR pistons
CP 9310 upgraded wrist pins
OEM crank
MAP high capacity oil pan (+1.5qt)
MAP oil cooler kit
Kelford 214-b cams
Kelford valve springs
Driven Fab billet mivec exhaust housing
Supertech stock size intake / exhaust valves
GSC viton valve stem seals
GSC manganese valve guides
ARP head studs
AGP 3.5 intercooler
OEM lower intercooler pipe
Tial QRJ bov 1.5psi spring
Grimmspeed 3port
Turbohoses.com -3AN SS vacuum lines (Wastegate, turbo, BCS)
Magnaflow 3 catback (added Vibrant mini muffler in mid pipe)
Ultimate racing mini muffler test pipe
Mighty Mouse sealed catch can breather setup
ID 1300cc injectors
Radium fuel pump hanger (Walbro 255 fuel pump)
Radium surge tank (Walbro 450 fuel pump)
Blueflex Flex Fuel ECA
Easy Performance fuel pump controller (0-5v MAP reference)
Custom inline SS fuel filter
ACT HDSS clutch

-----------------------------------------

Current power...

Caveat, this is low timing and low boost. I'm still working through the issues the build has had and still working through the tuning.

That said, I think it's making phenomenal power for the low boost and low timing I'm currently running. I have no doubt this setup will make over 600whp easily and I will update this thread when that hopefully happens. It's hard to tell from this single gear pull but the turbo is more responsive on the street than I ever imagined it would be.

Other caveat, I maxed out my ID1300s and have ordered a set of ID1700s.

Blue plots are a break-in pull at 19-20 psi.
Red plots are current tune, maxed out ID1300s and 25-24psi.
E79 fuel



Here is the datalog of the above: https://datazap.me/u/razorlab/rcwots...zoom=1110-1556

The kit overall is well made. I had some small fitment issues at the beginning but got everything working. The cast manifold is a tank and I have no doubts it will last longer than the car.

Photos:

Engine bay









Living in California. I worked hard to hide all the catch can breather lines



With the engine cover on you can't even tell the car has a catch can and the can itself is hidden under the intake



Some photos of the custom inconel heat shielding









Looks beautiful. What power level do you intend to run on the track?
moparfan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2017, 06:42 PM
  #3  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (36)
 
e_kobz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 2,955
Thanked 88 Times in 86 Posts
Awesome setup buddy. Will we get to see a 30-35psi pull
e_kobz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2017, 09:29 PM
  #4  
EvoM Guru
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
razorlab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Alameda, ca
Posts: 11,041
Thanked 223 Times in 197 Posts
Worked out most of the kinks on the build now.

This is at 27psi, E82 and 5-13* timing. I think I am going to keep it here for a bit.. it's a bit crazy.

razorlab is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2017, 10:44 PM
  #5  
Evolved Member
 
4b11slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Santa Ana
Posts: 1,784
Thanked 83 Times in 83 Posts
Really dig all those heat shields
4b11slayer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2017, 01:18 AM
  #6  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (36)
 
e_kobz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 2,955
Thanked 88 Times in 86 Posts
Send it
e_kobz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2017, 07:44 PM
  #7  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: MN
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great results!! Were your heat shields done in MN ? My setup is currently wrapped but that looks so much better. Whats your opinion on heat reduction resulting from installing these
MNC5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2017, 07:27 PM
  #8  
EvoM Guru
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
razorlab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Alameda, ca
Posts: 11,041
Thanked 223 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by MNC5 View Post
Great results!! Were your heat shields done in MN ? My setup is currently wrapped but that looks so much better. Whats your opinion on heat reduction resulting from installing these
No, I used Advanced Thermal Products in Irvine, CA. SUPER fast turnaround, amazing work and great cost for the amount of inconel used and the quality of work.

http://www.atpwrap.com/home.html
razorlab is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:22 AM
  #9  
Evolving Member
 
six40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 408
Thanked 36 Times in 33 Posts
That looks like an extremely fun car. Unless I missed it do you have videos of this thing?
six40 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2017, 06:28 PM
  #10  
EvoM Guru
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
razorlab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Alameda, ca
Posts: 11,041
Thanked 223 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by six40 View Post
That looks like an extremely fun car. Unless I missed it do you have videos of this thing?
Not yet but should have some once I get back to the track!
razorlab is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2017, 06:29 PM
  #11  
EvoM Guru
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
razorlab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Alameda, ca
Posts: 11,041
Thanked 223 Times in 197 Posts
Okay, I'm done with the high boost mapping of the car. It's dropping fuel pressure anyway. I added more timing up top and held the boost a bit more and this is what it gave me.

Pretty darn pleased with that for a PT5858 .82

razorlab is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2017, 07:57 PM
  #12  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (36)
 
e_kobz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 2,955
Thanked 88 Times in 86 Posts
Badass numbers. I bet this setup rips. I would love to see a 4th gear pull.
e_kobz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2017, 09:59 AM
  #13  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Essex County, New Jersey
Posts: 58
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab View Post
Worked out most of the kinks on the build now.

This is at 27psi, E82 and 5-13* timing. I think I am going to keep it here for a bit.. it's a bit crazy.

This is awesome! Any reason in particular you went with the 5858 over the GEN2 5558 or GEN2 5862 since I'd assume you can make more power with similar spool if not better than the 5858? As far as the tubular mani vs cast mani from MAP just trying to keep the length of tubing as short as possible and keep costs down?

Thanks
-Kevin
Kevin_White19 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2017, 11:06 AM
  #14  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (1)
 
letsgetthisdone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 10,970
Thanked 565 Times in 541 Posts
He bought this setup last year, before those turbos came out.
letsgetthisdone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2017, 11:41 AM
  #15  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Essex County, New Jersey
Posts: 58
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone View Post
He bought this setup last year, before those turbos came out.
Makes sense. I wonder if he would've went with the same setup or with one of the new gen 2 turbos. I'm leaning towards the 5862 myself.
Kevin_White19 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MAP Cast V-Band Turbo Kit - PTE5858


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.