Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Finally replaced the Oem Amp

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2010, 02:22 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I finally decided... I'm just going to replace it all. Sell the NAV, and use my G6600 in the rear of the car (remove spare tire since I'll never use it anyways). With that being said, we played with the idea of just replacing the amp. He said I could use one of these with an aftermarket amp and I'd maintain full fading:

http://www.audiocontrol.com/171360/p...Converter.html
Old Apr 27, 2010, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by migs647
I finally decided... I'm just going to replace it all. Sell the NAV, and use my G6600 in the rear of the car (remove spare tire since I'll never use it anyways). With that being said, we played with the idea of just replacing the amp. He said I could use one of these with an aftermarket amp and I'd maintain full fading:

http://www.audiocontrol.com/171360/p...Converter.html
You are doing the right thing by getting rid of everything. There are a few things that are controlled by the NAV. I'm not sure how to make the adjustments without the NAV. Things like how the wipers behave when the windshied washer fluid is pressed. There's more but thats all I can think of right now.

You definentely have to get rid of the stock head unit. It's only going to get worse with time. Surprised your speakers aren't cutting in and out with the stock rockford setup. Let me know if your head unit doesn't cut off the speakers. do you plan on selling your stock head unit?
Old Apr 27, 2010, 02:52 PM
EvoM Community Team

Well you can buy an MR without NAV, and they don't adjust their settings. I think it's just a "nice to have" thing. I'm sure there is a default setting which would be the norm. Seems to me everything is just nice to have. And I absolutely hate not having iPod control and having my 160gb iPod sitting in the middle of my car (it needs to be in the glove box).

I haven't had any audio cut out yet (I only have 4500 miles on the car though).

I do plan on selling the stock head unit and the rockford bezel that goes with it. I have a hacked DVD version with updated maps.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by migs647
Well you can buy an MR without NAV, and they don't adjust their settings. I think it's just a "nice to have" thing. I'm sure there is a default setting which would be the norm. Seems to me everything is just nice to have. And I absolutely hate not having iPod control and having my 160gb iPod sitting in the middle of my car (it needs to be in the glove box).

I haven't had any audio cut out yet (I only have 4500 miles on the car though).

I do plan on selling the stock head unit and the rockford bezel that goes with it. I have a hacked DVD version with updated maps.
Let me know if/when you sell the nav

But yeah there is some cool stuff in the NAV. I never use that stuff anyway so I wont miss it.

Later
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

i might be interested in it too... depends on funds since most people want almost $1k for it and for that cost I can build a carputer.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:29 AM
EvoM Community Team

I'll let you guys know... it may be sooner than later.

With that being said, I really wish would have put more into the factory amp, probably wouldn't be going through this had they ponied up a little.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Zeroflux
On to the part i am sure most of you are interested in, that POS OEM wire harness and its layout. There are 1 or 2 pins i still don't know and i assume are the CAN-BUS lines but here is the general layou of all the pins.

I really hope this helps and if you have any question let me know and i may have an answer.
LEGENDARY!

Thanks very much. Currently I'm using a stopgap solution involving tapping lineouts and whatnot to run an aftermarket monobloc but now there's real potential. That being said, I'm finding my RF stock amp driving the speakers with the mono running a P3 is working quite well.
Old May 3, 2010, 10:33 PM

now thats some useful info
Old Aug 24, 2010, 05:46 PM

Anybody want to venture a guess as to how I only have a l/f speaker working after following the wire locations on this thread?
Old Nov 2, 2010, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

anyone know what would happen if i didn't run crossovers to the front mids? I have a single crossover already on the tweeters that cleared up a lot of the distortion.

So if my tweeters are on a crossover, my mids are not, can I just put both +'s and -'s to the correct terminal on my new amp and be ok? or am I missing something here?
Old Nov 2, 2010, 03:04 PM

very nice now i can install my amp and get rid of the oem amp....

nice... great work thanks Zeroflux!!
Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:51 AM

Another great writeup - adding this to my list of bookmarks for next year..
Old Jan 31, 2011, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Zeroflux

Couple Q's if anyone knows please chime in.

Do you need to connect the three power and ground wires if you're going to wire straight from the battery?

What are you connecting the Left Line In +/- and Right Line In +/- too?

Where have you guys tapped in for remote power to the amp? Cig lighter from fuse box work?

Thanks.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 08:58 PM

This is an awesome thread! Very nice write up!
Old Feb 1, 2011, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Webman
What are you hooking up to that power? Two of them are of a higher gauge than the third. You wouldn't want to run anything but a really small amp off of those power wires. Also, take note that those are constant hot (not switched) wires.

Does that mean that if you hook power to an amp with the factory wires the amp will remain consistently on?

I'm thinking of running a 4 ch amp with the the existing factory wires to run the door speakers.. can I get away with that?

Quick Reply: Finally replaced the Oem Amp