Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Alpine PDX-1.1000 or JL Audio Slash v2 Series 1000/1v2 for a 13w7?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2010, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Alpine PDX-1.1000 or JL Audio Slash v2 Series 1000/1v2 for a 13w7?

I plan on getting a JL Audio 13w7 in the recommended JL ported enclosure. My question is, money aside, which amp do you think would do a better job pushing the 13w7, the JL Audio Slash v2 Series 1000/1v2 or the Alpine PDX-1.1000? I would also like to avoid a charging system upgrade like a high duty battery, I know I will probably need a capacitor either way. Do you have experience with either of the amps? Also for those who own a 13w7 or 12w7 how do you like it, lessons learned, and what amp/cap are you using?

What would you get? I am having a crisis of conscience. 3 x 10W6v2, 2 x 12W6v2 or a single 13w7. I don't think i can get 2 13s in my trunk. I would like a mixture of SQ and SPL leaning towards SPL. Price wise I want a single 13w7, the bass-head wants 3 10s. Not having heard any of the subs mentioned I actually don't know which of the three choices would be louder. I assume the 3 10s, but like I said I have never heard these subs so maybe the 13w7 is the way to go?

Also, do you guys know how much stuff I can cram into the X's trunk and still be able to reach the battery in an emergency?

Just for kicks:

JL Audio 1000/1V2 $595.00 per Amazon

Alpine PDX-1.1000 $419.99 per Amazon

Thanks

Drew
Old Feb 2, 2010, 09:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JL amps are great. They would get my vote.

As for subs... I used to be a die hard JL guy and i do still like their stuff but they havent really came with anything "new" in the past few years.

I would go with one of these over a W7 personally. http://www.diamondaudio.com/content/view/126/190/

http://www.diamondaudio.com/content/view/122/140/
Old Feb 2, 2010, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

I have had everything you want, and can give you first hand advise! The 13w7 sub is *****en, but I switched to a 12w7 because of air space requirements. I also ran the 1000/1 to the 12w7, but switched to a pdx because of amperage requirements and space (ran a 450/4 to my highs, and a 1000/1 to my sub). The JL amps put out a TON of power, but require a ton of amperage. I switched to the pdx amps, and could not be happier. The pdx give a more "refined" sound, not as raw, and don't weigh a ton! Im running a 12w7 with the pdx and the bass is definitely good (shakes dishes in the kitchen cubbards from the driveway). Make sure you get an amp for your highs also, the stock systems will not keep up. Check the recommended enclosure size for the 13w7 vs the 12w7, you'll get the 12. I am running a 5 farad alumapro cap, works perfect! Let me know if you have any questions on it!
Old Feb 2, 2010, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jrod@Buschur
JL amps are great. They would get my vote.

As for subs... I used to be a die hard JL guy and i do still like their stuff but they havent really came with anything "new" in the past few years.

I would go with one of these over a W7 personally. http://www.diamondaudio.com/content/view/126/190/

http://www.diamondaudio.com/content/view/122/140/

I know its only 5hz but the HP12 only goes down to 20hz versus 15hz for the JL and yes I know that is at the threshold of human hearing but I am a fan of very low bass. I want to be able to go as low as I can. It may be trivial to most but not me. Plus I have never heard of this brand. They are cheap though, ugly as sin, but cheap. I know, I shouldn't care what a speaker looks like, it was more of an observation.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Matthew333
I have had everything you want, and can give you first hand advise! The 13w7 sub is *****en, but I switched to a 12w7 because of air space requirements. I also ran the 1000/1 to the 12w7, but switched to a pdx because of amperage requirements and space (ran a 450/4 to my highs, and a 1000/1 to my sub). The JL amps put out a TON of power, but require a ton of amperage. I switched to the pdx amps, and could not be happier. The pdx give a more "refined" sound, not as raw, and don't weigh a ton! Im running a 12w7 with the pdx and the bass is definitely good (shakes dishes in the kitchen cubbards from the driveway). Make sure you get an amp for your highs also, the stock systems will not keep up. Check the recommended enclosure size for the 13w7 vs the 12w7, you'll get the 12. I am running a 5 farad alumapro cap, works perfect! Let me know if you have any questions on it!
I have the RF system. How much trouble is it to replace the stock amp with an aftermarket like another PDX? I plan on using a system such as Jl Audio's Cleansweep so i can keep the factory head/nav.

Why would I end up getting the 12 versus the 13? Box for the 13 too big?
Old Feb 2, 2010, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Matthew333
I have had everything you want, and can give you first hand advise! The 13w7 sub is *****en,
The 13w7 is what?
Old Feb 2, 2010, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

I would run the 13w7 if it was going in an suv, or bed cut in a truck. The 13w7 can give you a 1.5 db increase with the same amount of power in. I switched to a 12w7 from the 13 because of box size (2.375 for 13, vs. 1.75 for the 12) These calcs don't account for vent or basket displacement (hope you do custom box!).
The amp for the highs will be simple to add with the cleansweep- I would run new speakers and new wire (decient 2 way, image dynamics horns are what im running, but some focals would be good, or if your not competing, cdt's are loud and clear)
Old Feb 2, 2010, 12:20 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by imdrew12
I have the RF system. How much trouble is it to replace the stock amp with an aftermarket like another PDX? I plan on using a system such as Jl Audio's Cleansweep so i can keep the factory head/nav.

Why would I end up getting the 12 versus the 13? Box for the 13 too big?
One point of advice on adding aftermarket amps to the OEM Rockford system. Keep the Rockford amp in the system. Install the JL Cleansweep AFTER the amp. Then run RCA cords from the Cleansweep to your amps. Reason for this is because the stock head unit only has front left/right outputs. So, if you want fader capability, this is the best way to do it. Also, if you like using the punch bass level adjustment on the head unit, you can keep the function if you do what I'm saying. If you remove the stock amp, you'll lose the punch bass adjustment. Just a couple things to consider.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

what about a RE XXX thats an awesome sub and is more suited to your liking from what im hearing.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by flyboytb
what about a RE XXX thats an awesome sub and is more suited to your liking from what im hearing.
I was literally just looking at that. What can you tell me about it besides that a 12" needs 2,000rms?
Old Feb 2, 2010, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

what amp(Alpine) would you suggest replace the factory RF? A four or two channel?
Old Feb 2, 2010, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Pdx 5
Old Feb 2, 2010, 02:10 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I'd do a PDX 5 + a 6 channel equalizer. This way you still have complete control over fade, sub output, etc. This is the ideal set up if you're going to keep your normal RF system + sub and amp. No need to run dual amps either. I don't buy the advice of going head unit -> stock amp -> aftermarket amp. That stock amp is going to cloud signals. Making a copy of a copy is generally a bad idea.

And Diamond Audio is good stuff. It's a lot more popular in Europe than here. Just like CDT Audio. I'll take CDT Audio over anything any day. Just CRACKS.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

well the xxx is super loud with incredible excursion and is still very decent SQ. the sealed box would be about 1ft3 but thats about the size of the 13w7. its a beastly sub and sounds great. and you dont have to run 2krms 1k would do. but I ran a 2krms 1ohm load on a soundstream amp and it knocked my socks off.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by migs647
I'd do a PDX 5 + a 6 channel equalizer. This way you still have complete control over fade, sub output, etc. This is the ideal set up if you're going to keep your normal RF system + sub and amp. No need to run dual amps either. I don't buy the advice of going head unit -> stock amp -> aftermarket amp. That stock amp is going to cloud signals. Making a copy of a copy is generally a bad idea.

And Diamond Audio is good stuff. It's a lot more popular in Europe than here. Just like CDT Audio. I'll take CDT Audio over anything any day. Just CRACKS.
I am not keeping the stock sub and amp. I plan on keeping the head unit(touchscreen/dvd/cd player) using a Jl Audio Cleansweep and replacing the factory amp with probably a Alpine PDX-4.100 for the fronts and rear and getting either 2 10w7s or a single 13w7 ran by a Alpine PDX-1.1000. I haven't decided on the subs yet. I may even get 3 JL Audio 10W6s. I wont know until this weekend when I will be able to hear all of them and decide what will fit. But I will probably just go with a single 13w7.

Quick Reply: Alpine PDX-1.1000 or JL Audio Slash v2 Series 1000/1v2 for a 13w7?