Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

PAC-SWI wiring - WTF? everything looks correct, but it wont work!?!?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PAC-SWI wiring - WTF? everything looks correct, but it wont work!?!?

Ok... I am ready to pull whats left of my hair out. I cant program this PAC unit until I can get the LED to stay on instead of blink... every time I connect the white wire, the LED blinks! WTF!?!?!

This is driving me insane!

The details:

2011 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart

On the PAC SWI module:
Clarion head unit - dial turned to #4
Programmed for #8 (8 flashes when I turn on the ignition)

on the PAC wiring harness:
Black - to chassis ground
Red - to red wire in aftermarket harness (12v w/car off, 14.4v with car running)
White - connected to pin 12 (blue wire w/gray stripes) on the OEM stereo harness
3.5mm jack - not connected

On the OEM stereo harness:
Pin 12 - (blue wire w/gray stripes) connected to PAC white wire
Pin 2 - (black wire w/gray stripes) connected to chassis ground

When I just leave the power and ground hooked up - I press the program button on the PAC, LED turns on, stays on. (correct)

When I hook Pin 2 (ground) to ground - I press the program button on the PAC, LED turns on and stays on. (correct)

When I hook Pin 12 to the white PAC wire - I press the program button on the PAC, LED turns on, then starts slow-flashing... (FAIL)

When I DMM the white wire out of the PAC - 4.96v
when I DMM Pin 12 on the OEM harness - 0.00v
when I DMM Pin 2 on the OEM harness - 0.00v

When I hook up the white wire to Pin 12, then DMM Pin 2 - 4.76v
when I hook up the white wire to Pin 2, then DMM pin 12 - 4.76v

here is a shot of pins 12 (blue) and 2 (black):

in this picture you can see the white wire connected to the blue wire of pin 12 and the blue (scrap jumper wire that I am using to jump to ground) wire connected to the black wire from pin 2:

Someone... Anyone... any advice? Have I hooked something up wrong? Am I using the wrong wires? (which ones SHOULD I be using, because PAC says Pin 12 and 2)

Help?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

Where did you order the PAC unit from? I got mine from Crutchfield, so when I had trouble hooking it up I called their tech support and they straightened me out. I used the Metra product, though, so Im not sure what you may be doing wrong here.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:25 PM

I just got back from spending some quality time on the phone with PAC, Ernie (sorry if I misspelled his name) walked through the install, all the measurements I had taken, which wires I am using, etc...

In the end, it seems that its a bad PAC-SWI unit. So, I called Crutchfield and they are shipping me a replacement unit.

So, the good news: it sounds like once I get the new unit, everything I have wired right now should work straight away.

The bad news: the dash of my car is still taken apart and I wont be driving it until I get that new PAC-SWI... probably next week.

So, if anyone needs close-up pictures of which wires to use... the pics in the first post are correct per PAC.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 07:58 PM

hey man do you still have those images? I'm running into the exact same problem.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Edit: Finally got it working to some degree. Volume up and Down and Push to Talk are the only ones I'm getting to work. It's the Blue (Top) and Black (bottom) wire here that I needed.

I soldered the connectors, very poorly, to my new harness. Could this bad solder job be why my not all of my steering wheel buttons don't work?

So, I got my radio to work but I'm having some difficulty with the SWI. I have the SWI-CP2. I got this from Crutchfield and I paid for them to do the prewiring, which greatly helped with the install. They have some wires already crimped but I believe there are some that I need to hook up to the the stock harness, but when I look at the guide online I cannot find the wires it says I need. It says the black goes to a black/red and white to yellow black, but I cannot find these colored wires on my factory harness, can anyone help?

I have the PAC SWI-CP2 that I am having a difficult time installing. I have Rockford fosgste with nav and I’m replacing it with a Pioneer receiver.
This is the diagram they provide. The part I’m confused about is the section in the middle.
PAC-SWI wiring - WTF? everything looks correct, but it wont work!?!?-zzez0nl.jpg
This is the back of the stock Rockford Fosgate
PAC-SWI wiring - WTF? everything looks correct, but it wont work!?!?-jal6wau.jpg
This is the stock harness that I removed from the back of the radio with two wires circled that I thought I needed to tap into for steering wheel control. I thought the flat grey plug was the one depicted in the wiring diagram in the middle.
PAC-SWI wiring - WTF? everything looks correct, but it wont work!?!?-ysprpnq.jpg
Factory harness that goes to the MITO-02 and PAC
PAC-SWI wiring - WTF? everything looks correct, but it wont work!?!?-deveyyp.jpg
Factory harness connected to the MITO-02 and PAC SWI-CP (except for the wires in question from the diagram above).
PAC-SWI wiring - WTF? everything looks correct, but it wont work!?!?-gmfllnm.jpg
Close up of crimped connections
PAC-SWI wiring - WTF? everything looks correct, but it wont work!?!?-vlfxjnk.jpg

Last edited by koolzero; Aug 30, 2018 at 09:05 PM.