Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Help: "Headlamp Levelling service required" displayed on dash

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2016, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help: "Headlamp Levelling service required" displayed on dash

Hi, iv currently got this headlamp levelling issued displayed on my dash.

Can anyone tell me how to rectify this issue ? Iv searched on the net and all i could really find was to take it into a dealer.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Well, the USDM cars have a manual levelling switch whereas other markets get auto-levelling HIDs.
There's usually a sensor or a set of sensors on the front suspension that provide ride height data to the computer which then sets the headlight level. I'd suspect one of the sensors is out of spec or one of the leveling motors isn't working which is throwing your error. Do you have a Tactrix cable to pull codes? If not, you're heading to the dealer, I'm afraid.

Neat factoid for the USDM peeps:

The angle of the headlamp beam varies depending upon the load carried by the vehicle.

The headlamp levelling switch can be used to adjust the headlamp illumination distance (when the lower beam is illuminated) so that the headlamps’ glare does not distract other drivers.

Set the switch according to the following table.

5 - person seat

•: 1 person :Full luggage loading

•: 1 person Switch position 0- Driver only / Driver + 1 front passenger.:Full luggage loading

Switch position 0- Driver only / Driver + 1 front passenger.

Switch position 2- 5 passengers (including driver).

Switch position 3- 5 passengers (including driver) + Full luggage loading.

Switch position 4- Driver + full luggage loading.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 01:52 PM

Hi, iv just sent you a P.M

On the weekend I removed all 4 struts and replaced the springs however I do not recall removing any sensors as I only removed the struts.

However yes the dash warning did occur as soon as I turned the ignition and started the car after I had refitted all 4 struts.

thanks for your help
Old Jan 6, 2016, 02:05 AM

just hooked up a scan tool to it tonight and have found the code to be B2516 "Rear height sensor signal"

anyone had this DTC before ?

DTC: B2516 Rear height sensor signal

AFS/ACL Fault
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

If you've cleared the DTC and the code comes back it's probably just out of specification since you lowered the car. Hopefully the dealership can recalibrate the ECU to accept the new range.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 04:31 AM

The height hasn't changed, the dealer today couldn't find anything with the mutt 3 and has to call mitsubishi HQ next week to gather more information and seeing if it would require some code to type in for the input so I'm told.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, the AFS/ACL code is for the adaptive front lighting/active cornering lights. Aren't you glad you got extra features!?

I'd just get the car up in the air and see if you can find the sensor(s). They would have to be attached to a suspension arm and have a wiring pigtail. Could be that one got unplugged or damaged.

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/...brary/afs.html
http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/...brary/acl.html
Old Jan 9, 2016, 04:00 AM

its very annoying over some headlights. I have some spare time up my sleeve so il jack up the front and have a look around the arms as you've mentioned. perhaps I've been misleed by the description in the DTC scan tool "rear height sensor signal" and spent my time checking the rear instead of the front.

I hope its just disconnected and not damaged but whatever the case id just be happy to find it and know whats actually causing it would be a start.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 02:05 PM

Had a look under the car yesterday, managed to find a sensor sitting above the drivers front suspension arm. I think it's the sensor Iv been looking for. Though I couldn't see any sensors on the passenger side ? (JDM modal/RHD)

Is there only 1 leveling sensor ?

Everything appears to be mint, all connected and not damaged. Yet the problem still exists
Old Jan 10, 2016, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Were you able to reset the code? It could be that it just flagged it when the suspension drooped during the spring change....
Old Jan 10, 2016, 07:16 PM

No, I was only able to get a scan tool to the car last week when I found out the code, it would not clear. I Haven't been able to get a scan tool on it again but I suspect nothing will change as nothing has been done to rectify the cause.

I had found a sensor in the back a couple days ago but I did some reading online and people were saying its the wheel speed sensor I was looking at so I looked no further in the rear.

A friend of mine today was able to get a picture from Mitsubishi that in fact it is the rear levelling sensor.

*** some reason I'm having issues uploading pictures today so I will try again shortly
Old Jan 10, 2016, 11:36 PM

Update: fixed.

Thank you Splattj, for all your help.

Jacked up rear right, unbolted sensor bracket found a little tab on the bracket bent which is supposed to stop the sensor bracket arm from further travel, with it bent i found it had extra movement allowing the sensor to read out of spec's and throw the warning on the dash.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 07:58 AM

Hey nzevo8, Can you post that picture of the location of the sensor ? I am having the same problem, my car is JDM as well and I have recently got this error. I have not interfered with the suspension, error just popped up on me.