Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Those of you who installed LED exterior lights, how did you pass through the wires?

Old Jun 13, 2016, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Those of you who installed LED exterior lights, how did you pass through the wires?

I am on a mission to install some LED exterior lighting, Do i connect this setup to the battery in the trunk or do i just place the positive wiring under the hood and ground the negative to a bolt? How did you pass the wire from the trunk battery to the outside of the car without anyone noticing any wiring?

I am ordering lights and i am trying to figure out if i connect to the actual battery or to the positive terminal on the hood to make things easier?

If i connect to the battery where do most of you pass the wiring so i can place the lights on the exterior.

No need to flame me, I'm asking advice and im doing it anyway lol.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
I would just drill the hole where it makes sense and use a new grommet.

If you must pick up an existing hole - how about the rear O2 sensor wire where it passes through the body (rear seat area)?
Old Jun 14, 2016, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

I was hoping for a he that exists.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

anyone else?
Old Jun 17, 2016, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
You could always just use a fuse tap to tap in into the fuse box which is already on the outside of the car. LED's don't draw much at all so I wouldn't worry about the current draw.

Also, if you wanted the LED's to turn on with the fogs or low beams, you can just use their fuse location.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
What kind of lights? Do you want them to come on with the headlights or have separate controls? Where are you mounting them? It's hard to answer your questions if we don't have the answers to these items.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

LED smed bulbs for the exterior and under the car . The control box must be mounted inside the vehicle and I need to find a power source for it at the same time somehow getting the wires to the outside of the vehicle.

I could always pay a professional but I would rather learn myself on how to find a way to pass wires through the interior and exterior without notice for future reference.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
In that case I would use a fuse tap on one of the fuses inside the car. Then feed the wires that need to go outside the car through the grommets on the left side of the footwell under the dash. Its actually a pretty convenient location. The control box can just be mounted under the dash somewhere next to the fuse box. There was a write-up on how to install gauges using these grommets so you can follow the instructions for your use.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...lean-hell.html
Old Jun 18, 2016, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, for what you're doing, the boost gauge routing is probably ideal (maybe do a boost gauge install at the same time if you want one). It will require the least dismantling of your interior for what you want to do.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

The lights I have require a 12v power at all times. I'm not sure if the fuse box on the inside supplies that. I was going to wire the power directly front the battery or front the positive under the hood. That's why I asked for a location to pass wires through. Thank you also for the write up and advice guys.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Right. Use the Cigarette lighter fuse since it will give you 12v for as long as the car is turned on. If you use the battery directly or other constant source it will slowly drain your battery, which you don't want. Use a fuse tap and a fresh fuse for your LED lights. They typically don't draw much power so I don't think you'll need anything complicated like a relay setup.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by splattj
Right. Use the Cigarette lighter fuse since it will give you 12v for as long as the car is turned on. If you use the battery directly or other constant source it will slowly drain your battery, which you don't want. Use a fuse tap and a fresh fuse for your LED lights. They typically don't draw much power so I don't think you'll need anything complicated like a relay setup.
Which one in the fuse box would have constant power? I don't think it would matter... actually.. I would prefer constant power because the kit comes with a control box that has a on and off switch. Plus the purpose would be for the lights to work with my key in my pocket instead of the ON position. How many amps would you recommend on the add a fuse? 5 amp fuse?

Last edited by TxFAkuma; Jun 20, 2016 at 02:17 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Do you guys know if those blank spots in our fuse box (interior) supply power? It other vehicles sometimes they do..
Old Jun 22, 2016, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Just use a voltmeter and test for 12V power when the key is off, that will tell you which fuse spots get constant power.