Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Radio cutting out at high volumes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2020, 05:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Radio cutting out at high volumes

I just picked up a used Evo X with the Rockford system. The last owner put in a nice touchscreen Kenwood headunit with Apple Carplay and everything.

Only problem is, when I turn it up more than about halfway the speakers cut out and won't play until I restart the headunit, even if I turn the volume back down. To my knowledge, all of the speakers and everything else is all stock. Could it be a fuse, or maybe a loose wire/connection somewhere? Maybe the OEM Rockford amp is going bad?

Anyone have any similar experiences? I haven't played with it too much, but figured I'd look for some opinions before I start tearing things apart, or take it to a shop.
Old May 6, 2020, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Hmm, might be worth checking the ground. Check that it's actually connected to a good ground (the service manual has locations) and check that the connection is nice and secure.

Another issue is the Sirius receiver, if you have one. For my Pioneer, the instructions said to completely disconnect it. It's on the right side of the glove box. Until I disconnected mine, I would get intermittent loss of sound, though it wasn't really related to volume, and didn't need a restart of the HU.

If the above is fine, then I'm out of ideas, might be something with other components.
Old May 6, 2020, 07:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good looks, appreciate the input.

Still haven't gotten around to checking it yet cus I don't mind keeping the radio low and just listening to the car

I'll keep the thread updated when I find the issue tho