Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Aftermarket radio - No Sound - Non SSS

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 05:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy Aftermarket radio - No Sound - Non SSS

As the title says, I'm at a lost with this car. I'm trying to install an aftermarket Alpine head unit on a 2013 GSR Non-SSS model. The car does not have a rockford fosgate radio/etc. The stock radio is a single disc unit. I'm using the Metra 70-7005 radio harness. Everything seems to be wired correctly based off of the color and labels but when i connect the headunit, it powers on correctly and fucntions as it should. I just have zero sound from any of the speakers. It acts like the speakers are not connected? Anyone have any ideas on what could be the problem? Are wires reversed on the 2013 harness?

I do know that on the back of my stock radio, there is 2 harnesses connected to it. With my aftermarket radio, I'm not hooking up the 2nd harness. My stock radio works fine with everything reconnected?

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas? I know I have the Fuse system in my 2013 but unsure if that matters. I've also attempted to install the harness without the ASWC wiring/etc with no luck. Any help would be appreciated.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
What aftermarket radio did you get? (Exact model number, if you can) Some of them don't have an amp/are pre-out-only or you can enable/disable the internal amp.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by splattj
What aftermarket radio did you get? (Exact model number, if you can) Some of them don't have an amp/are pre-out-only or you can enable/disable the internal amp.
i am using the Alpine iDA-X305SBT. If it matters, this same unit was in 2 Evo 8's prior to being installed into the Evo X (or at least attempting to install). I'm still wondering if it has something to do with that second harness. My factory radio has 2 harnesses plugged into it. Installing the aftermarket radio doesn't use one of them.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Make sure the Power IC is set to "On" in the General settings.

All of the wires you need should have been in that 14-pin connector
Old Jun 27, 2017, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by splattj
Make sure the Power IC is set to "On" in the General settings.

All of the wires you need should have been in that 14-pin connector
Power IC is set to on. I don't have a 14 pin connector? I'm using the 20 pin connector. The 2nd connector that I'm not using is an 18 pin
Old Jun 27, 2017, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
I don't know evo Xs, but when I hook up stereos, I use a 1.5V AA battery and few wires. Use battery on 2 sets of prongs to find speakers in your 2nd plug that you suspect are connected to your speakers. Once you get a speaker to softly pop, those 2 are the wires to that speaker. Hook the up accordingly (you'll have to look at speakers to see which is the + wire). Keep testing pairs until you find all your speakers. If you want to reduce the guess work, look at the color pattern at your speakers. Then try to find same pattern at head unit plug. There's a chance they are the same.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, It's hard to say. In researching backup cam wiring, OEM Nav retro fit, and stereo install threads, it seems that Mitsubishi had more than a few different wiring setups in these cars, especially in the infotainment harness. I'd double check your wiring and go from there.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 01:11 PM

Ok so I bought a new harness and attempted the install again. The new harness is wired identical to how I re-pinned the old harness. I also did the battery technique and confirm that the wiring is also correct. Once everything is connected, no sound. I know the radio settings are correct because the headunit was in 2 of my Evo 8's. I also plugged it into my friend's truck and sound instantly played..... I'm at a lost now.

Does anyone know what could be the problem? The harness is wired correctly, the radio will work in other vehicles, just not my 2013 Evo. This leads me to believe it's the car itself. Has anyone installed an aftermarket headunit in a 2013+ Evo? I don't have the SSS package so no amp. Do I actually need to use the MITO-02 harness instead? That's the only thing I have yet to try......
Old Jun 29, 2017, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Strange. Did you check if the + or - speaker wire is grounded to car? And check your radio ground is connected to good ground?

Originally Posted by W0LF
Ok so I bought a new harness and attempted the install again. The new harness is wired identical to how I re-pinned the old harness. I also did the battery technique and confirm that the wiring is also correct. Once everything is connected, no sound. I know the radio settings are correct because the headunit was in 2 of my Evo 8's. I also plugged it into my friend's truck and sound instantly played..... I'm at a lost now.

Does anyone know what could be the problem? The harness is wired correctly, the radio will work in other vehicles, just not my 2013 Evo. This leads me to believe it's the car itself. Has anyone installed an aftermarket headunit in a 2013+ Evo? I don't have the SSS package so no amp. Do I actually need to use the MITO-02 harness instead? That's the only thing I have yet to try......
Old Jun 29, 2017, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

I just looked up evo x speakers. Check if your front speakers are 2 ohms. Your head unit only outputs 4 ohms, so you may need to replace your speakers unless you don't mind tying your front speakers in series to increase the ohms (I wouldn't do it).

Old Jun 30, 2017, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
I just looked up evo x speakers. Check if your front speakers are 2 ohms. Your head unit only outputs 4 ohms, so you may need to replace your speakers unless you don't mind tying your front speakers in series to increase the ohms (I wouldn't do it).
I haven't checked that as I'm not that great with electrical work but it did find out it won't work on the stock system. I hooked it up in a friend's car and it worked. I then decided to plug his in and his Alpine worked properly indicating the wiring is all good.

I guess at this point, I'm going to sell it and buy a new one. I'm sure someone with an Evo 8/9 will want this hard to find unit since it is in excellent condition.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

I guess at this point, I'm going to sell it and buy a new one. I'm sure someone with an Evo 8/9 will want this hard to find unit since it is in excellent condition.
Bummer. The only thing I suggest you try is to not connect the factory speaker wires to your head unit and run separate test wires and pull your speaker from each door and connect directly one at a time. If evey speaker works, then your factory wires is doing something weird like being connected to a relay before reaching the speakers. If speakers don't work, then buy upgrade and swap them out. It's a lot of work, but you may run into the same problem with another head unit.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
Bummer. The only thing I suggest you try is to not connect the factory speaker wires to your head unit and run separate test wires and pull your speaker from each door and connect directly one at a time. If evey speaker works, then your factory wires is doing something weird like being connected to a relay before reaching the speakers. If speakers don't work, then buy upgrade and swap them out. It's a lot of work, but you may run into the same problem with another head unit.
As much as I hate to part ways with the headunit, I already bought the replacement (an older competition model I had in the past) which should arrive tomorrow. I found an used one which appears to be in decent condition. I just hope the previous owner took care of it like the pictures suggest. As for it not working, it belongs to the same series as and is similar to the deck my friend has so it should work.

I'm still contemplating on whether or not to let my X305S go or just hold onto it in the event that I purchase another car. Decisions decisions
Old Jul 2, 2017, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Good luck! Hope the next unit works for you!
Keep us posted. I'm curious if it is just that head unit or if something else is going on.

As much as I hate to part ways with the headunit, I already bought the replacement (an older competition model I had in the past) which should arrive tomorrow. I found an used one which appears to be in decent condition. I just hope the previous owner took care of it like the pictures suggest. As for it not working, it belongs to the same series as and is similar to the deck my friend has so it should work.

I'm still contemplating on whether or not to let my X305S go or just hold onto it in the event that I purchase another car. Decisions decisions

Last edited by 2006EvoIXer; Jul 7, 2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 08:57 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I wish I was there to help you. Something is off. We have the most basic set up in our cars compared to any other car I've worked on.

Did you have the antenna plugged in? There are some decks that will not ground properly without the antenna plugged in.

Is there a parking brake wire? At a minimum I'd ground it if there is.

Did you attempt multiple sources? (radio, iPhone, etc)

Our non sss speakers work fine with any deck. It would have been best to put a multimeter on one of the speaker lines (+ & -) and verify signal was coming out. If it wasn't, something is wrong with the deck. If it was, something was wrong with the harness / connection. Did you use butt connectors?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket radio - No Sound - Non SSS