EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-electrical-audio-security-262/)
-   -   Rockford Amp replacement (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-electrical-audio-security/463938-rockford-amp-replacement.html)

malymabl97 Dec 17, 2009 06:26 AM

Rockford Amp replacement

For those that swap the Rockford amp for another amp, were you guys able to maintain Fade and Sub control?

Any work arounds?

Thanks

atombomb33 Dec 17, 2009 06:33 AM

You can keep fade control assuming you're using a 4-channel or 5-channel amp and have it connected correctly.

Nobody has been able to figure out a way to keep the sub control (Punch level).

malymabl97 Dec 17, 2009 06:42 AM

The OEM Nav only have outputs to the front speakers and no output to the rear. How will the amp fade?

Webman Dec 17, 2009 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by malymabl97 (Post 7807721)
The OEM Nav only have outputs to the front speakers and no output to the rear. How will the amp fade?

Are you sure about that? That wasn't my understanding. I know you can lose the bass adjustment, but I thought the deck put out all 4 channels.

atombomb33 Dec 17, 2009 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Webman (Post 7808964)
Are you sure about that? That wasn't my understanding. I know you can lose the bass adjustment, but I thought the deck put out all 4 channels.

You're correct. The deck does put out all 4 channels and you keep front/rear fade capability. You only lose the Punch sub adjustment.

mmartahus Dec 17, 2009 01:50 PM

that scks, i use the Punch adjustment more then anything else

atombomb33 Dec 17, 2009 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by mmartahus (Post 7809196)
that scks, i use the Punch adjustment more then anything else

Yeah, it's unfortunate because it's nice to have that easy bass adjustment on the head unit. Even if you connect to a new Rockford amp, you still can't make it work. It's too bad, but the increased sound quality and more overall bass from a new amp will make up for the lack of Punch adjustment :D

malymabl97 Dec 17, 2009 02:01 PM

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...d-oem-amp.html

In the link they say you lose fade. Looking at the wiring, it does not have a rear out.

malymabl97 Dec 17, 2009 02:16 PM

I'm a noob at car audio, and I'm not sure if the following setup will work.

Stock amp output -> after market amp -> speakers.

This should keep all functionality.

atombomb33 Dec 17, 2009 02:20 PM

I stand corrected on the fade capability :D

mlomker Dec 17, 2009 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by malymabl97 (Post 7809271)

Yup but then you have to put the new amp somewhere other than under the seat (running the high-level speaker wires to and from that new location). High level inputs to an aftermarket amp usually sounds worse than using line level as well.

Webman Dec 18, 2009 08:07 AM

I'm a noob at car audio, and I'm not sure if the following setup will work.

There's a HUGE downside to amplifying an already amplified signal. Do some research on THD (Total Harmonic Distortion). Ever make a copy of a copy? Notice how it looks worse? The reason people replace the stock amp is because of the horrible things it does to the amplified signal. Why in the world would you want to re-amplify something that's faded and distorted? Just not a good idea. Best to replace the amp.

Spoonie Dec 18, 2009 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by malymabl97 (Post 7807680)
For those that swap the Rockford amp for another amp, were you guys able to maintain Fade and Sub control?

Any work arounds?

Thanks

You'll lose the sub fuctionality,and fade from the Stock head unit once you replace the amp. You can get it back by using a 6 channel EQ with a 5-channel amp. The Stock control for the subs sucks anyway. It mutes the sound for each adjustment you make which completely ruins the listening experience imo.

I've already did what you are attempting to do with great results!!

Spoonie Dec 18, 2009 02:51 PM

I'm not sure about the standard head unit but the Rockford Unit only has 2 outputs (low level). The fading and sub control are operated by the canbus.

Spoonie Dec 18, 2009 03:02 PM

my setup is head unit -> 6 channel Eq -> JL Amplifier. I was concerened about losing the sub fuctionality, but the Eq handles the sub output much better and you can adjust the x-over freq on the fly.

Don't worry about losing the sub control at the head unit.

1) it sucks because it mutes the output when you adjust it.
2) it also doesn't allow you to fine tune the x-over freq.

I do not miss the factory sub control at all.

Oh yeah... with my setup I can fade, left/right and complete sub control.