EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-electrical-audio-security-262/)
-   -   Radio fuse keeps blowing (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-electrical-audio-security/554361-radio-fuse-keeps-blowing.html)

EL_Mattador May 5, 2011 10:51 AM

Radio fuse keeps blowing

Looking for some trouble shooting tips. Just installed kenwood speakers up front and back, with a polk audio 4 ch amp. I used the speaker level inputs and now every time I hook up the amp it blows my radio fuse. I have checked and rechecked all the wiring and there are no bare wires touching anywhere. I have a sufficient ground. My next suspect is the speaker level inputs I attached at the back of the headunit. I just stripped back some of the wire and connected them, I did not cut the wire completely and attach to the speaker level input. Is this correct or should I have cut the wire completely? Any help is much appreciated, kinda enjoy listening to the radio while cruising. *EDIT* this is for a 2008 Evo GSR without the rockford fosgate system.

Tommy Di Cat May 5, 2011 12:37 PM

What did you use for your remote turn on for the 4ch? You should have cut them in half one side going to the 4ch input and the other to the output(or run your own). If you leave them connected your running the radio signal/power on top of the amp.

EL_Mattador May 5, 2011 03:31 PM

I used the to radio 12v wire for the REM. I tried turning the radio on without the REM even attached and it still blows the fuse. Would running the radio signal over the amp cause the fuse to blow?

lancerarmstrong May 5, 2011 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tommy Di Cat (Post 9296303)
What did you use for your remote turn on for the 4ch? You should have cut them in half one side going to the 4ch input and the other to the output(or run your own). If you leave them connected your running the radio signal/power on top of the amp.

this.

EL_Mattador May 6, 2011 12:25 PM

Still happening. I actually ditched the speaker level inputs and got a line level converter from best buy. Installed it, wired it as the diagrams illustrated, checked wiring three times. Put it all together at the amp and still radio fuse blew as soon as I turned to accessory. Any other help would be extremely helpful.

EL_Mattador May 10, 2011 08:14 AM

I've identified the source of the problem and its the radio, there's some sort of chip next to the 20 pin connector that is creating excessive heat when I plug in the connector... any ideas on how to fix a stock radio?

lancerarmstrong May 11, 2011 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by EL_Mattador (Post 9307655)
I've identified the source of the problem and its the radio, there's some sort of chip next to the 20 pin connector that is creating excessive heat when I plug in the connector... any ideas on how to fix a stock radio?

take it to a professional