Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Anybody Running The New Evo X Cobb AEM Intake Stage 1 Tune Yet?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2009, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody Running The New Evo X Cobb AEM Intake Stage 1 Tune Yet?

Anybody running the new Evo X Cobb Stage 1 tune set up for the AEM intake yet? How do you like it? How's the idle at a stop? Was the AEM intake worth the money? Where did you buy your AEM intake?
Old May 12, 2009, 02:22 PM

i am..

the aem intake is worth the money.. it's a very nice piece.. fits perfect.. idle like stock.. no turbulence from the fans..

cobb stage 1 with aem runs fine too now.. when i first flashed it and ran a few wot 3rd gear logs.. i had ping ping pong pong knock.. but now there none to very little knock as the ecu learned..

spoke with someone from cobb's support and that is normal... for the ecu to learn after reflash.. knock retard of .35 is nothing to worry about.. .7 is like yellow light.. 1.0+ knock retard constant is red light and should cause some worry according to cobb...

car pulls strong and sounds crazy mean.... deep intake rumble vs hissing of open cone

peak boost hitting 23.5 with stock boost pill.. due to aem intake's splitting of the boost solenoid vaccum lines..
Old May 12, 2009, 04:44 PM

I am too....

Aem is one quality piece, fits perfect and looks close to stock. Previously was running the perrin stage 1, but the cobb with aem feels much better. Also, have a nisei uicp, and this was definitely worth it. Much louder spool and better response. My UR catback exhaust just came in today, and according to cobb you can run the aem stg 1 with it? FYI - with perrin stg1 and perrin drop in i made 279hp and 307 tq. I am going to dyno it again once the exhaust is on to compare cobb vs perrin. I will keep you posted.

The aem can be had for 275-285 shipped
Old May 13, 2009, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys. Keep the comments coming everyone.

For the people who have the AEM intake, what color did you get? Polished, red, silver?

Old May 13, 2009, 07:23 AM

Installed back my AEM intake, and also Greddy SE catback last Saturday in my MR. The Cobb AEm stg 1 map is great, although there is no different for power that shows in Cobb website. But I do feel more hp in high rpm.

Confrim the boost pressure by WOT 2 & 3 gear, and use the AP to log the Abs pressure which is 37psi.

My AEM intake's color is dark silver. Easy to install & nice fit.

-Yao
Old May 13, 2009, 07:35 AM

rel pressure is boost pressure on ap

the only way i guess we can see gain through the power band would be a dyno.. peak is just that.. peak.. gain thru the whole power band is what im interested in..

i can't understand how aem stage 1 would be same as stock stage 1 in terms of hp/tq gain %..

on stock stage 1 i was hitting 21.7 peak boost.. on aem stage 1 im hitting 23.5 peak.. with no change to boost pill.. im sure its because of the way aem splits the bcs vac lines..

it has to be making more than stock stage 1
Old May 13, 2009, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I plan on using this map with the COBB SF intake system.

Here is something interesting.

Originally Posted by i64X
Since doing this mod I got a COBB AP and went to Stage 1 + 93 octane. The COBB map notes say not to run any type of aftermarket filter with it. Despite that I decided to try it anyway, figuring the COBB tune was extremely safe anyway. At first I thought it was just me, but the car didn't seem like it had as much pull as when the stock filter was on.

When they released the Access Tuner Race software I decided to do some datalogging both ways and see what I could find. The next day I saw that they released a COBB Stage 1 + AEM tune. I first did datalogging with the standard Cobb Stage 1 with and without the cone, and then tried logging with the Stage 1 + AEM with the cone, figuring it would be much better. It was. Gone was the mid-range power loss that I experienced with the Stage 1 + cone. Logging revealed that the ECU was still flagging a bit of timing pull and knock retard. Here's what I found:

The difference between the Stage 1 map and the Stage 1 + AEM map was just MAF calibration, so I decided to live tune with the cone, using the Stage 1 + AEM as a base. I was able to get rid of the knock retard completely and greatly improve the pulled timing to a little below the levels that I logged with the Cobb Stage 1 + cone filter.

Car runs WAY more mint now than when I was using the cone with the Stage 1, and according to logging is safer than using the cone with the Stage 1 + AEM tune.

If anyone has an AP and wants a Cobb Stage 1 93 Octane + Cone filter (rest of the car stock) tune for a USDM GSR, let me know and I can post it up.
Old May 13, 2009, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

interesting read guys. I am not going to lie I miss the sound of my AMS intake I used to have. The AEM sounds good too though based on the thread, and people's opinions.
Old May 13, 2009, 12:00 PM

http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/2...d-old-ams.html

the ams design can cause turbulence at the MAF due to the position of the bov
Old May 21, 2009, 11:56 PM
Evolving Member

Tomorrow im going to install my AEM, I let you know what is the different!
Old May 23, 2009, 02:29 PM

From the % increase from cobb website, the intakes doesn't seem to make much difference.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Just installed my AEM intake this weekend. Verdict = very nice!

After only a couple days of driving, no CEL's yet (knock on wood), idle is steady & smooth, engine seems more responsive when I lay into the gas, and my car's computer now reads 1 mpg better than it usually does.

I had to do a couple of modifications to make the intake fit better though:

1) Slightly grind down the top & bottom stock snorkle tabs so the air filter wouldn't touch.

2) Lightly sand the painted surface of the MAF tube where it connects with the turbo inlet tube so it stays on better.

3) I bought some window seal at Lowes to make the seal where the stock snorkle fits into the AEM air box better.

The only beef I have with the AEM intake (besides the instructions that I feel are out of order), is the seal at the back of the air box where the MAF tube feeds into is poor...big gap.

All in all a quality product from AEM.

Old Jun 1, 2009, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

After installing AEM i went to track (HKS High power, Test pipe)
I abused the car and no check engine light, No tuned yet. The only problem is, Car runs rich
Next month I will buy CobbAP
Old Mar 19, 2011, 05:12 AM

Greddy Se and AEM CAI Intake Evo X.... with Apexi S1's

Originally Posted by evoyao
Installed back my AEM intake, and also Greddy SE catback last Saturday in my MR. The Cobb AEm stg 1 map is great, although there is no different for power that shows in Cobb website. But I do feel more hp in high rpm.

Confrim the boost pressure by WOT 2 & 3 gear, and use the AP to log the Abs pressure which is 37psi.

My AEM intake's color is dark silver. Easy to install & nice fit.

-Yao
Does anyone else have this combo? Does it work well? I am thinking of installing these two with a custom dyno tune at my local Evo tuning shop. Is there anything else I should consider before I go fo rht einstall and tune, ie boost controller? I am also thinking of installing Apexi s1 Coilovers.... any experience with these?
Old Jan 22, 2014, 08:14 PM

I have the AEM intake and stock ecu.
I have the COBB AP not yet installed as I can't find the proper MAF settings.
They used to have old MAPs with these settings but they're not on the website anymore.

I emailed COBB and they said they'll post a proper calibration real soon, so check their site.

Quick Reply: Anybody Running The New Evo X Cobb AEM Intake Stage 1 Tune Yet?