Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Anyone experiencing similar issues with COBB AP OTS maps?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2011, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone experiencing similar issues with COBB AP OTS maps?

Just wondering if anyone else out there is experiencing similar issues or if there is something specifically wrong with my siutaion.

I first purchased the AP (already had the K&N drop in) then a short while later I purchased the ETS intake, I have tried ALL the maps available from COBB and have not found one that works much better than any other.... Sad to say my STFT ranges at idle from sitting at 0.0 to 5.1 with no throttle or change in RPM. while driving the only time is see STFT is when taking off in a gear, the moment when the clutch is not completely engaged and the gas pedal is slightly depressed, and when crusing in gear at speed (any gear at cruising speed) it seems that at a very slight throttle there is STFT corrections.

Now at this point i acquired the ACCESSRACE TUNER software hoping i could straghten out these issues. well without a dyno that can run and hold a speed for load its very tricky to acurately make adjustments, so idecided to try to address the STFT corrections at idle. with the car idling and it stays very close to 700 or so give or take 50rpm it hold well.. my STFT bounce all over the place while my maf voltage stays almost the same.. so no amount of corrections to the maf cells made any noticable change, i even skyrocketed a section of cells to see if it would at least produce some sort of result.. crank up the STFT or drop it through floor but alas still no result. I followed the instructions on the ACCESSRACE TUNER software and even spoke with some people at COBB to ensure i was doing it correctly.

So I then decided to take off my ETS intake as it was just to much hassle and if i am causing damage to my car it is not worth it in any way shape or form... So I reinstalled the STOCK intake and went with the stage 1 map from COBB,.. much to my suprise my STFT is still all over the place at idle and at very light throttle or cruising speeds....... Oh yea, still have the K&N drop in. so again i try each map available to try and find one that has low STFT and guess what,.. they all pretty much produce the same values as with the intake.. some a bit higher in terms of corrections.. damn this is not getting a bit frustrating.

So at this point i go back to the stock map with the AP (not unmarry just stock tune map) guess what... STFT are still the same... %#$@

KNOCK
as for knock, i get 0.4 almost every time i take off in first, it seems at the exact momeny the clutch engages i see 0.4 now sometimes. on take off from a stop normal driving i see as much as 3.5 when the clutch engages.. once im rolling and off the clutch no knock, evey now and again i will see 0.7 or 0.4 while in gear but under WOT i see virtually no Knock all the way up to redline (after the car is rolling and the clutch is completely engaged of course) So is this going to damage my car? I was told by COBB that are engines are particularly noisy, and that phantom knock happens so anything under 3 counts of knock is probably phantom knock as long as its not continuous. does that mean 0.3 or 3.0?? Now my KNOCK RETARD has only left 100% only once and it went to 99% but like i said that is only once. I was also told that KNOCK RETARD should always be at 100%... if its not then real knock has occured??

Anyhow at this point im kinda upset, dont get me wrong I like COBBs products and always have, i used several of there products on my subarus and now with my EVO, their quality is good and their customer support is great...

Is my EVO the problem, i did have a reflash from Mitsu due to a TSB could that be the culprit? are these issues normal? should I purchase the COBB SF intake, will that solve my problem? in terms of intake the COBB SF and the ETS are pretty damn near the same, once uses a silicone tube the other an aluminum tube both bend about the same, but the COBB tappers where as the ETS uses the coupler @ the turbo to taper down, Both utilze the factroy maf housing and a K&N filter...

By the way, I cannot get a map loaded now that will make my car run smoothly, its kinda jerky under WOT like it was stock now with any of the maps :/

Side note my LTFT will never show correction for more than a second or so if they do and this is typically only at start up, but they always go to 0.00 / 0.00 after a moment or so.

Can anyone relate?

-J
Old Mar 29, 2011, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine is the same with the Injen intake. I think it's just normal from what all I have read. They suggest getting a pro tune if you do any more modding than an intake, so Forged Performance is my next stop. Sorry i'm not much assist on this, but just letting you know I experience the same with the STFT and Knock as well as countless others I have read on here.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 07:28 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
-5 to +5% fuel trims are completely normal and acceptable for a stock vehicle. They are fine for your car too... put your intake back on.

Knock counts under 2 (EG 2 ...not .2) (unless constant) are generally not a big deal. Where your clutch is engaging its probably drivetrain noise, if it happens in the same spot during a pull you can try pulling back timing slightly in that area, but I wouldn't worry too much about a .7 count.

Just an FYI, Knock counts (interger) are different than knock retard (the amount your timing is reduced in ~1/3 increments).

In the end, I would not call these issues. This is your car's ECU doing its job.

Last edited by fostytou; Mar 30, 2011 at 07:31 AM.