Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Who tunes partial throttle really well?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2012, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who tunes partial throttle really well?

Who does good reliable partial throttle tunes across the rev range and how many hours/days should I expect it to take?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Do evo's have part throttle?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Great answer!

Rich
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Gyroscope
Who does good reliable partial throttle tunes across the rev range and how many hours/days should I expect it to take?
I am about 400 hrs in on mine, so far.....
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

all cars have part throttle...
using a dynapack you can tune it rather quickly... days will turn into a hour or 2 depending on how **** you get...
always road test to verify afrs you were targeting on the dyno if ran in open loop... you will need a wideband on board to do this thou...
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have never seen proper partial throttle done in a few hours on the dyno. it takes lots of logging and road tuning.

Golden can do it for sure, he chimed in here. Otherwise Jon @ Hbspeed (formerly) will do it for ya really well.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

I have never seen proper partial throttle done in a few hours on the dyno. it takes lots of logging and road tuning.
^This, dyno is good for WOT and fixed rpm tuning. But for DD partial throttle it takes experience having done it (mostly due to erratic air flow). Many shops tune for WOT and leave everything else stock, the good ones have "pre-made partial throttle areas" for their tables that only need some tweaking for transitional areas (so long as block is stock). Trying to do it from scratch takes FOREVER (fuel,timing,MIVEC,WGDC,Boost,MAF,MAP,SST if applicable is like another 20 tables).
That's one way to measure a shops competency, are you in and out in 1 hour, or do they take 3,4, plus hours (for $500, 1 hour is redonkulous)
Old Jun 22, 2012, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

i do this for a living, our shop 1800+ cars a year... its not that complicated bro

on my own evo ive gotten 100 more miles to the tank over stock... etc

if u do this everyday, you know what works and what doesnt...

Originally Posted by murlo26

Golden can do it for sure, he chimed in here. Otherwise Jon @ Hbspeed (formerly) will do it for ya really well.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by palmerblock
i do this for a living, our shop 1800+ cars a year... its not that complicated bro

If you say so...I am not doubting your abilities. But just like every other big shop out there, they tend to try and tune any car in a few hours and where stuff suffers is always driveability and part thorttle. I am not saying it will be dangerous just not polished.

Just because you tune a bunch of cars doesn't mean you can magically do what takes lots of road tuning and logging and perfecting in a few hours.

I am sure your tunes are satisfactory but my version of what is acceptable has changed now that I started doing road tuning. My car for reference has been on the dyno for over 200 pulls...meaning lots and lots and lots of dyno time. Never ran "great" until I switched to road tuning because frankly no dyno gets load of the road (hehe) perfect.

So again, not attacking you, but no tuner can dial in full throttle, partial throttle, driveability etc etc in a few hours unless the car is mostly stock.

I guess I would like to add that, the level of modification does affect the tuning it takes. I will say this though, a fully built motor car just takes time.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by murlo26
If you say so...I am not doubting your abilities. But just like every other big shop out there, they tend to try and tune any car in a few hours and where stuff suffers is always driveability and part thorttle. I am not saying it will be dangerous just not polished.

Just because you tune a bunch of cars doesn't mean you can magically do what takes lots of road tuning and logging and perfecting in a few hours.

I am sure your tunes are satisfactory but my version of what is acceptable has changed now that I started doing road tuning. My car for reference has been on the dyno for over 200 pulls...meaning lots and lots and lots of dyno time. Never ran "great" until I switched to road tuning because frankly no dyno gets load of the road (hehe) perfect.

So again, not attacking you, but no tuner can dial in full throttle, partial throttle, driveability etc etc in a few hours unless the car is mostly stock.

I guess I would like to add that, the level of modification does affect the tuning it takes. I will say this though, a fully built motor car just takes time.
I did hotstix car in about 2-3 hours (Full SD) Which required tuning ALL load cells in the MAP table to be correct AFR wise. Timing wise i've done enough of these cars to know what works and where. Cam Timing can get pretty intricate and change everything you had already done if you change it a lot after AFR. I would LOVE to do 4-5 hour dyno sesions but people cant seem to fathom spending $1000 on a dyno tune when "everyone tunes them for $350-400 bro"
I use what i have done over time on Hundreds of evo X's to make great base maps that WORK both part throttle and Full and use that to adjust WOT, Mid and Cruise to get what i want out of the car. Unless its a highly complicated tune most take about 2 hours and 1/2 of that is all non wot throttle...

**** look how fast i made your car run right, Imagine if i could do it in person how quickly it would happen
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

You do a minimum of 6 cars a day everyday 6 days a week no Vacation or breaks? No variation in amount of cars?
313 days in a year (6 days a week) 1800/313 is 5.75 cars a day

Most people here dont know you guys have 2 or 3 dynapacks (2wd) and that you have 2-3 tuners. So YOU dont necessarily tune 1800 cars a year.

However that is just numbers and guesstimates. The fact of the matter is that there are tuners out there that do part throttle stuff and do a good job @ it. However (sadly) most people don't want to pay for real "tuning" they just want to make 500whp on pump gas on a stock turbo
Old Jun 27, 2012, 08:43 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You found a 35-40% increase in fuel economy over stock?! Please, do tell. I'm incredibly curious. I'm having trouble eeking out 10% let alone another 7-8 MPG.

If I need to pay for the input I'd be glad to - provided you can guarantee results.

Last edited by fostytou; Jun 27, 2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BakaUnchi
You do a minimum of 6 cars a day everyday 6 days a week no Vacation or breaks? No variation in amount of cars?
313 days in a year (6 days a week) 1800/313 is 5.75 cars a day

Most people here dont know you guys have 2 or 3 dynapacks (2wd) and that you have 2-3 tuners. So YOU dont necessarily tune 1800 cars a year.

However that is just numbers and guesstimates. The fact of the matter is that there are tuners out there that do part throttle stuff and do a good job @ it. However (sadly) most people don't want to pay for real "tuning" they just want to make 500whp on pump gas on a stock turbo
Jon is correct here, that is probably more than we do and we have two full time tuners and one part time tuner and 2 dynos.......

Mitch
Old Jun 27, 2012, 09:47 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm calling you out on the 100 more miles to the tank over stock. Prove it.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Subscribed. I want to see how he answers. There's no way you can get that kind of gains with a tune.

Quick Reply: Who tunes partial throttle really well?